Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not really a coffee drinker, don't frequent coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ah, yes and no.

I like to think I'm not influenced by advertising but I'm also aware that I occasionally am.

I will frequently take the piss out of ridiculous or obnoxious ads but surely that is contributing to the ad's success as the name gets out there and I am talking about it (even if its negative).

I don't trust ads in general, especially ones for major brands. Loud, brash advertising annoys me and puts me off. Celebrity endorsements make me laugh and wonder how desperate they are for money.

However, I'm aware that subtle, straightforward advertising can have a hypnotising effect on me, which I don't realise until I see the product somewhere and think 'that looked good in that ad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I would feel (right or wrong) that I am less affected by it. Partly because I see so little of it (do not have a television and have a plethora of online ad blockers). Partly because I am hyper aware of the methodologies employed by advertising due to both aspects of my work and some hobbies I have which employ similar things.

Despite all that I think I would be naive to claim I was above it or unaffected.

The most obvious example: Whenever I was in a situation where I had to go and buy something I would not normally buy or even have never before bought. And I had to go and find it.

When going into purchase it - I had in my head somewhere between a vague or specific idea of what it would look like. The packaging size and color and so forth. And that is likely due to that particular brand having conditioned me in some way in the past. I would spot the thing I was scanning for and go and pick it up.

Why that one and not the exact same product from a different brand and packaging beside it? Why did I go in with the preconception the thing I wanted was in a red rectangular box rather than the green cube box for example? At some point in the past I had the expectation of the product installed in my neck top computer and I entered the shop with an expectation of what it would look like when I found it.

Another example: Advertising also has the effect of educating you to be aware of product types. Someone might hear 1000s adverts for ExpressVPN and in the end they buy Nord VPN. They might claim "I was not affected by the advertising" therefore. But actually - that person might never have heard of VPNs before in the first place. After 1000s of adverts for Express they decided a VPN was for them and they went and got one. So the person might think they were above the advertising in this scenario because it did not make them buy Express. But that it informed them of - and led them to purchase from - a new product space at all is still an effect of the advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Advertising / Marketing is one of those weird industries where you can become obsolete / irrelevant overnight

Personally I hate Ads, Youtube is going nuts with the ads now and I'm borderline inclined to pay for Nebula. I also have stopped going to the cinema citing Ads and the fact the movies go digital after 6 months now. Like if you include Food and tickets for 2 people you're at €40 easy, and then you're subjected to Ads. #nothanks

Advertising only works on me if I'm being shown something new that is going to make my life easier / better. I'm into PC games, so I've a keen interest in things like PC hardware, but the only ads I get are from guys who build PC's but I can do that myself so I'd never buy from them. You might get the odd graphics card Ad, but that in turn is circumvented by the likes of Gamer Nexus who review everything and give you the results. So the Ads are meaningless to me.

In summary though huge marketing campaigns are usually in place to try and tell you that a product X is great when in reality it's probably just as good as product Y

The only time Ads might work on me is when I'm looking for a gift. I got my GF one of those rude Mugs on Goduckee.com... She was NOT impressed. So even then the Ads didn't work as intended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Advertising and marketing has it's place in letting consumers know what is available.

The savvy ones are those who can decide if they need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This advert increased sales of the product in the UK by 800%. Probably most of the people who bought it, would say they are too smart to be taken in by clever ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKa_uQCz3Hw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I didn't buy it. In fact I still have some clothes I wore 30 years ago some even fit me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

No it’s not enough said you old boob. You’re trying to tell me that I’m not above advertising and the best example you’re able to refer to is a takeaway… even though I already said I don’t eat fast food!

@Jim2007 And found an advertisement for whatever, actually you actively searched it out.

What are you trying to say here? What does that prove? I’m going to assume you worded that wrong sense you usually do?

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Don't bother some seem to be always right even if they are wrong.

• Advertisement

@Beta Ray Bill YouTube is going nuts with ads now and I’m borderline inclined to pay for Nebula

I’ve AdGuard for the iPhone. It’s free and works pretty fine. It’s even easier on the PC. I thought you’d have found a way around ads given that you’re tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

currently checking out some rory sutherland, well worth it, some clever fcukers working in marketing.....

I am beautiful and silky and manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I never knew about the Arrow in the Fedex logo, until I was searching for information on subliminal advertising. It is an example of how advertising is out there, without people even knowing. Nor did I know about the bear on the Toblerone packaging, another "hidden in plain sight" example. Whether these have ever influenced sales I don't know, but they are certainly not included by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For all these "I'm above advertising" people

Did you never walk into a convenience store for a snack or a treat and were not sure what you wanted but then ended up making your decision based on the display, an offer, the placement of a product etc ?

That's merchandising not the same as advertising.

• Advertisement

No. I don't visit shops until I know what I need first.

Not really.

They are different branches of the the art of getting you to buy products.

Closely related but not the same.

Their aim however is the same ie. getting you to buy something.

I think I'm the same as many men of my generation. Don't visit a shop unless I need something. What's so unusual about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m a pure sucker for advertising. I see an ad for a chocolate bar I want one . Monkey sees monkey wants

And many women too.

If you go grocery shopping with a list you are less likely to buy unnecessary items.

Even going into a convenience/forecourt shop if you have in your mind a bottle of water, a sandwich and an apple the chances of coming out with a pastry, a chocolate bar and a can of coke are greatly reduced.

You may be jokiing but for many that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Do you think you're above advertising?

Yes.

I nuke all ads on the web using adblock. I silence them on TV when I'm occasionally watching something on TV. I ignore them if they pop up elsewhere because I find them irritating.

If I am "influenced" by ads in any way, it's to actively ignore them and the product they're hocking.

• Advertisement

Not if you eat real food; broccoli in supervalu isn't chosen based on its brand any more than broccoli it is in Lidl. Now if you were to take something like kitchen roll; someone might choose a particular brand given that it gives satisfactory results, and as the years would go by that person would keep picking that item off the shelf without thinking about it. But that does not prove that the reason they bought that product first day was due to advertising. So the fact that I'd be slower in a Chinese shop doesn't prove anything.

Everyone is influenced, but just not influenced by advertising. What makes you qualified to make that claim?

Advertisement