Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Only up to a certain age, then you’re aware of almost every single thing that goes on in your head. But even at that, just because you’re influenced, doesn’t mean you’re influenced by ads.

You’re problem is that you’re only looking out your own head. You presume everyone thinks the same way you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Blame it on Bernays.

🙈🙉🙊

Yeah AdGuard works well on the phone. There’s a thing about it though when it comes to the RTE radio site, and that is that you have to sort of trick it. About one second after the page displays the below message comes up. But if you tap the play icon before this displays, it’ll play away in spite of it being on screen. And of RTE Gold has no ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

No in that they would not influence me to buy a particular product, be it anything from food to a mode of transport. That is not to say that some of them don't provide information that is beneficial.

The music used in some did lead me to several artists that I still listen to and others in the same genre.

Radio ads are about the only ones I get, as I don't have a TV and have ads blocked online. Saying that I only listen to the radio when in the car which is about a total of four hours in the week, or out in the garage for an hour or two in the evening working on a piece, or fixing something. So it's mainly background noise unless a good song is being played or news of a band playing a gig catches my attention or the actual news is on and I haven't catched up with it yet that day.

Grow alot of our own fruits and veg in the garden so any other household shopping is done by what is need and cheapest good quality available that does the job, so mainly Aldi/Lidil.

High end itens same criteria and based on different reviews.

Clothes and footwear are bought during sales when needed, have to be good quality and comfortable to replace the items regulated to garden and garage wear.

Don't drink coffee and the rare time I might buy a sandwich when in the office one day a week, I stick to what I like made up in the deli

I use vintage tools and machinery as most of the time they are still better quality than the modern equivalent for woodworking and not designed to be throw away items, so the cool tools videos from some of the guys I watch on YouTube don't normally get a watch unless I'm bored.

• Advertisement

@Tony EH I don't see ads. In fact I don't see ads anywhere. I actively go out of my way to not view them. In fact, I genuinely couldn't tell you what the last advert I saw on the TV was, or anywhere for that matter because I just tune them out.

Well in dxhoud2005's defence, we all see ads! For example, bill boards. So that poster probably wants you to think that you saw a bill board for a Samsung some time - when you perhaps on the phone - and that it subconsciously influenced you to buy that TV. And although that's not true, it's very hard to prove it to another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But product placement is advertisement. The fact that product placement influences what you buy means you are susceptible to advertisements. Just because you only watch old movies and can no longer buy that product new doesn't mean the ad didn't work on you.

But they're not making any money out of me obtaining that item, so it's not working in that sense. I'm still above advertising, as in I don't get tricked into wasting my money on something that doesn't make my life better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Creative advertising is working, particularly the ones targeted the people that feel unaffected or uninfluenced but know exactly when & where sales are on, where good value food & cars are to be bought etc… The product placement is very interesting, can see exactly why these people are more susceptible to influencers rather than traditional advertising and go for “vintage” advertised products. 

Watch out for the Reviews as well. Someone here could have bought a TV partly on the recommendation of an online reviewer. With even less chance of knowing who they really are, or who they could be representing, than something produced by an ad agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

I cannot understand people influenced by celebs and so called influencers. There was a row about a football player pushing away cocal cola and coke shares fell I think. I drink coca cola but if I didn't no celebed would influence me. If my favourite singer of all time drank Pepsi I would not because it is disgusting. Also, if he drank a beer I don't like I would not change from the beer I like. People who do that are unthinking morons

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Westport Covies

Like most people, i think I'm too smart to be lead. Then i realise I'm on an iPhone, wearing underarmour gear with a ld discovery on the drive.

Did i do extensive consumer testing before i made my informed decisions? No. But something had it in my head that everything i buy is the best i can afford.

"Creative advertising is working, particularly the ones targeted the people that feel unaffected or uninfluenced but know exactly when & where sales are on" Have you evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you really honestly not understand how sportspeople can influence people? GAA stars working in sales, using sports stars in advertisements etc... It's a very simple and basic and primitive way of advertising a product that's understood by the vast majority of people. My eight year old understands it.

If you don't understand this simple concept you're way out of touch and vulnerable to being targeted by the simplest of scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

/next one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

David Bowy is media whore material used and abused; bootlegs of what del boy pawns off to purveyors of "good taste". Only twice has the use of music in ads caught me by surprise in a french perfume and the current An Post one of all things ~ always some art student kicking around I suppose, but then if you don't know who german superstars Can are you don't obviously don't know squat about tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe it's because I studied marketing as part of my college degree and spent years reading Naomi Klein and consumer psychology books by the likes of Martin Lindstrom or maybe it's just because I'm a tight bastard but I genuinely don't think advertising affects me much and reckon a huge amount of advertising spend is wasted money (particularly a lot of the advertising carried out on behalf of public sector bodies).

A product that's heavily advertised will be priced accordingly - the unit price has to cover it's share of the advertising spend. I factor that into my purchasing decisions: Fairy Liquid will be twice the price of the store's own brand washing up liquid in order to cover it's marketing budget. I don't enjoy being bombarded by their advertising so I'm certainly not going to pay for it: I'll pick up whatever's cheapest in Aldi or Lidl and keep the money in my own pocket.

I'm a contrarian though, I despise influencers and have nothing but scorn for those simple minded enough to follow them (and am genuinely dismayed by the fact our society is stupid enough to make this an incredibly lucrative career for some of them).

The only avenue I can think of where advertising manages an impact on my spending is through my children. Despite my best efforts to educate them otherwise, they're still teenagers and easily influenced to follow trends among their peers etc so occasionally I'll end up handing over money for over-priced products that have the "right" brand name on them.

There's been talk of banning advertising targeted at children for years which I'm all in favour of but I'd argue no advertising should be allowed to be targeted at anyone under the age of majority. If an adult wants to waste their money showing the world how simple minded they are by spending far too much on things that have the "right" brand or logo prominently displayed, that's their right. Just as it's my right to think they're morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How can you be influenced by advertising if you don't watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It all depends on what these "so called influencers" are promoting.

My wife follows "she called influencers" and over the years has bought some very nice stuff both for herself and as gifts for others based on what she has seen from these "so called influencers".

I myself follow a guy on social media that reviews hospitality packages offered by sports teams and venues, mainly in the UK.

And I tell you, the next time the opportunity to go and see a sporting event in the UK comes along I'd certainly look into hospitality packages.

• Advertisement

and keep the money in my own pocket.

And what are you going to do with that money in your pocket ?

I'd wager that you'll spend it at some point on something that advertising has made you aware of, got you interested in, etc.

I can't remember the last time I even looked at a billboard.

As for the Samsung, or the Sony or LG for that matter, it came down to price, reviews, plugging a drive into it to see what the picture was like and what was in the shop at the time. Nothing more.

The problem here is some people are assuming that just because you bought something, adverts must have played a part. But it doesn't work that way.

By reviews I mean tech reviews by professionals who've run a piece of equipment through bench mark tests. Not Mickey who bought a "great" TV in Currys and left a two line comment on some website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think you'd lose that wager tbh. I don't see much advertising since most of my television viewing is on streaming platforms, I have an ad-blocker installed etc. Radio advertising would be what I'd be most exposed to and even that's on the wane since I mainly listen to podcasts on BBC Sounds.

Ads may make me aware of products but I'm very unlikely to buy something I see/hear advertised: if they've spent money advertising it, the product is over-priced as a result.

The only heavily advertised product that I'd buy on any kind of regular basis is Guinness. Part of that is cultural and, to be fair, part was down to a brilliant marketing move they made back in 1998 during Freshers Week: they threw enough free pints of it at us that some of us acquired a taste for it.

You either have some sort of supernatural power that stops you seeing brands, logos, or any sort of commercial entity.

Or you are full of s**t.

I'd guess the latter.

Guess all you want. But it'll still just a guess, and based on fuck all too.

It's simple. I don't watch ads. I go out of my way to not watch them.

Kerrygold butter is an example of how people can be influenced into spending money unnecessarily. Their product has two ingredients, cream and salt. And it comes in a foil wrapper. Every other brand is the same, just a different wrapper. But people will pay €4.29 for Kerrygold, when other brands are €3.39. Kerrygold cream does not come from magic cows.

Thats hardly being influenced though. You seek a good deal. But drinking coke because a celeb does is stupid.

For every person that opts for Kerrygold Butter, there'll be someone else that'll go for the cheaper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Having 50% of the market means advertising really does work.

Advertisement