Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not expecting much here in Meath either. Usually we are too marginal and being close to the Irish sea makes things worse up to 40/50km from the east coast. Midlands and north-west could do well out of it for a while. Monaghan and Cavan may do good as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kermit only comes out for the big events. This is looking like a giant non event sadly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You’ll be grand. Too mild to cause any significant damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You can really see the cold creeping southwards now on this real time map

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models in general showing some fairly substantial frontal snow in my opinion for the W, NW , N and NE. ECM as has been said above shows the frontal activity and the cold airmass reloading quickly again for the next front to arrive. No doubt not all snow with rain and sleet part of the process also. Areas could see some big dumps of wet heavy snow at times.

What I am seeing:

Getting highs of 5 or 6C tomorrow but as low as 2 or 3C further N

Weds temps from 2 or 3 up to a highs of 6C parts of the W

Thurs looks to be close to freezing in Northern parts would assume over snow fields, about 3 or 4 C in the center of the country getting colder further N and possibly up to 10C in the S for a time but cold everywhere later Thurs night into Fri morning.

Fri very cold day of only a few degrees for most, maybe up to 4C or so in parts of the W.

Sat much milder for most getting up to 14 or 15C in the S and only a few degrees in Northern counties as snow melts and under colder airmass.

LP fairly tight gradient set to bring windy conditions across parts of the country on Thurs also, hefty Windchill in Northern half of the country.

As is often the case with LP moving into a cold airmass that snow can fall in less cold conditions and has less distance to fall so can easily accumulate, if only for a couple of days.

A plethora of warnings to come no doubt. Freezing nights and icy mornings, heavy snow fall in parts, Thurs looks like a difficult day for driving and outdoor workers especially the farmers with livestock. Would want to be getting home early in the Northern half of the country, could be some heavy local falls. Thurs night snow continuing late until it clears the NE coast and looks set to freeze on top of settled snow and large tracts of the country that will be wet from the days precipitation so would think there could be a lot of snow still lying Fri morning in the the top third of the country and maybe some down into the midlands at a lesser degree along with tricky roads early Fri.

Maybe yellow wind warnings in parts of the W, NW on thurs , blustery overland in the Northern half of the country along with the expected snowfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Only found this thread now , gotten colder here in carrick rain has passed south but snow showing on the radar in the Midlands so mountains might get dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Oh don’t worry I have no problem driving in snow I’m quite used to it living up the Dublin mountains 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What nights mike look like and the milder day on Sat .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We need more glass-half-full posters!

I love these weeks with snow expectancy!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd agree with that, should be some nice pics to make us jealous in the coming days all the same!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Very exciting.

Just to caveat that Mayo are used to disappointment. We here in the Midlands are not. Just saying, God...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Hey Rebelbrowser where do you go in meteociel to get the current temperature map? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I'd expect more optimism from a poster with a Santa hat on in March🤭🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

If we continue to see runs like we have seen today from the ECMWF, GFS and Arpege models this time tomorrow then we may see the first of the warnings issued by Met Éireann. Then on Wednesday warnings will be updated.

If we see a similar accumulations to what the Ecmwf model is showing then I would think and Orange warning will be issued for Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan & Mayo. A Amber warning also from the Met Office uk for Northern Ireland.

Any potential Red warning would only probably come Wednesday morning once we are in a closer time frame and fresh data is available.

More than likely Met Éireann will go with a Yellow snow/ice warning for the rest of the country.

Ecmwf Ensembles are in good agreement this evening for a dumping over the northwest particularly Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GFS and UKMO are a bit more sobering. The GFS is mainly a brief snow to rain event for most of us. The GFS control is in fact a washout with the cold gone from most of Scotland too by the 12th. I am not convinced by this evenings ECM, even if it has broad support among its members. This may seem overly negative but I am not getting my hopes up again just yet only for it all to go pear shaped in the end as it so often does. As we all know only too well to get significant snowfall in this country is as rare as hens teeth! If by tomorrow night we have broad agreement between the main models then I will start to believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So at this point, fairly good model agreement for heavy snowfall across northern third of Ireland, mixed falls central third and mostly rain southern third with low on Wed night into Thurs a.m., then with less agreement, another round of significant snow moving fairly rapidly south to north on Friday into Friday night, milder for weekend.

Will wait for 00z model runs and morning forecast to get very specific in my patch but for now would say be on alert for 15-30 cm snowfalls out of both those events as they unfold, it may turn into more of a 5-15 cm higher local amounts on hills sort of deal. For the first one, mixed falls Galway to Dublin could be either snow to rain or just alternating periods of snow, sleet and rain, depending on how well organized that low is. If you like percentage risks, would say 70% risk of disruptive snowfalls north of a line from Connemara to Longford to Louth, 40% south of that line to Clare-north Tipps-Wicklow, with the Wed-Thurs event. Too early to be speculating on risk percentages for round two but higher risks west Munster northeast in general.

All snow that does fall seems likely to melt fairly quickly about 24-48h after it appears, except possibly on hills in Ulster. Will re-assess after 18z run.

Temps at https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

dew points (v relevant for snow) at https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk

indeed dew points are tumbling...

For the uninitiated, crudely you want the combined sum of your areas temp and dew point to be 0c or below for snow. -3 DP can mean snow at 3c temp etc.

The guide to snow fall in Ireland is stickied on the home page of the weather forum here on boards - really well worth a read. See https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057947753/parameters-required-for-guaranteed-snow-in-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not expecting much out of this in cork city tbh. Maybe a light dusting tonight, and then possibly a few light showers but mostly just cold rain I'd assume, with the snow a couple hundreds Kms up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And then Met Éireann go and land a new meteorologist forecaster on us, in the midst of a developing snow spell.

I mean, how very dare they.

Suspect that's right but a small chance we could better than that between tonight and Wednesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This cold spell looks a bit of a yawnfest just Iike the Winter just gone. Uppers not cold enough, thickness not low enough, and temps up around 5 or 6 by day. Quite frankly not good enough for falling snow let alone lying snow. A mix of rain and sleet is what the current charts show.

Time to sign out until the next thunderstorm warning in the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The netweather radar is showing plenty of snow over the Wicklow mountains.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

257m asl wicklow mountains. Light sleet !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Friday night into Saturday showing -10c up north but we'll see what actually happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Stranorlar only 20m asl. Hills must be doing alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Going by the radar moderate to heavy snow in parts of west Donegal this past hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement