Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Urban radiation retention. Its much colder not very far up, so snow will make it to ground, but not stick.

London will become proper cold the next few days, though snowfall is uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Bit similar to others complaining about the lack of snow for 7 months and starting threads for “events” that won’t last more than 24 hours lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The snow and graupel showers drifting on to the east coast later on Monday night could lead to a light covering with Dublin/Wicklow most likely. As regards beyond we are really looking at frontal snow events when the Atlantic systems bump up against the cold air. Difficult to forecast with accuracy but at the very least transitionary snowfall is very likely but we'll have to see how the forecasts play out.

For now, I'd focus on Monday night for eastern coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Met office snow showers for the north on Tuesday and Castlederg on their website has -10 for Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

ICON 12z sees a snow/sleet to rain event on Wednesday with much milder temps over the southern two thirds of the country by the end of the day. For the next 7 days thereafter, a cold airmass sits just to the north of Ireland. Northern Scotland holds on to winter throughout. High pressure to our south acts as the bouncer and no cold is getting in 🤚

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Wed/Thur Atlantic front meeting cold air. Transitioning from snow to rain further south

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

heavy frontal snow from thursday afternoon across the middle of the country on the latest gfs, BANK, only 99 hours away,what could go wrong.

Clare (410ft asl)

A less aggressive mild push showing up on the UKMO and GFS 12z output. Wasn't expecting that tbh. Models overegging Atlantic lows? Will see what the ensembles say

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Some places are going to get a good bit of snow this week from these frontal zones. Narrow margins between the haves and have nots.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Huge upgrade on the latest GFS, multiple snow events for many and cold keeps reloading into the week after, let's see what the ECM says....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

There is a lot to play for at the end of next week into next weekend. That 12Z GFS is a snow fest for Ulster and north Connacht.

That deep cold to the north stops the mild from advancing to far north with Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster staying under them cold uppers next Saturday. Cold air then flooding southward next Sunday and early next week.

The ECMWF on and off has been showing potential for big snow accumulations come early the following week just like today's 12Z GFS. The latest chart is mad.

We have seen this in the past were we get a cold spell and just a few days before models push out the length of the cold.

This evenings Ecmwf 12Z run will be interesting aswell as the models over the next few days.

As Kermit said above some areas most likely Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster are in with a good chance of frontal snow later next week and next weekend with places further south best chances coming late Wednesday into Friday.

Interesting times ahead and no point of throwing your toys out of the pram at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I hope that GFS run is not a big outlier. I think we will go milder, but hopefully we will have a decent snow event or two before that happens. Scotland and the very North of England could well stay cold throughout.

South Leinster, South Connaught and Munster could also see sleet/snow tomorrow night from the cold front moving south all be it nothing particularly heavy.

Clare (410ft asl)

Looks like the GFS will be one of the coldest members. No significant change in the mean

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I have 0 technical expertise but I will say every time this winter, with each cold spell the prospect of snow has been pushed out just a few more days, just a few more days and then for the whole thing to just go bust. For that reason I am not at all convinced we will see any snow, cold yes, but no snow. Much as I love it, right now our economy doesn’t need snow and disruption anyway so roll on the spring.

ECM looking good too, snow for some as early as tomorrow night and also a major snow event on Friday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Bank! Of course it will probably have all changed by tomorrow. If the models have got it wrong on the strength of the block this will be corrected southwards in time. Which means the cold air stays further south. On current guidance it looks like the North hangs on to the cold till the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

As to be expected from run to run moving where is going to get a dump of frontal snow around and timing certainly not nailed down but still potential.

The cold gets well entrenched before the fronts make contact.

While we are watching the cold outbreak to note that set to get quite wet and windy also over the weekend into the following week.

GFS on snow steroids for the following week showing a bulls eye Lp moving into the cold airmass and quickly dragging in the cold behind it, ECM not showing the very snow charts of yesterday but going for wintry widespread showers. In all it looks very unsettled over the weekend into the early days of the following week with cold potential returning.

Picked out some of the individual 850hPa charts ( about 5000ft but as low as 3800 ft when the pressure is lower ) -8c pushing well down the country at times, -9C further N, the WRF showing -10C further N

Yes, any milder turn could be temporary. I would love those GFS charts to verify for the following week, but I suspect I have more chance of defeating Jon Jones than a snowy GFS chart for 10 days time coming to pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Good to see the upgrades. As a Man United fan currently trying to leave Anfield it's been a day lacking in happy events so far!

Clare (410ft asl)

Could very well be a dusting in parts of Munster and the northwest come Tuesday morning

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

Intriguing to watch the Atlantic system on Wed night into Thursday clash with the colder airmass. Significant snow potential for the northern half of the island. What's particularly interesting is how long Ulster and north Connacht (northern coastal counties in particular) hold on to the colder airmass as the Atlantic system stalls for a period. Quite a dumping of snow possible for these counties. Intrigued to see what tomorrow's runs will bring and whether the system does in fact stall as it is presently showing from Thursday Eve into Saturday, or if the cold ultimately will win out.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Snow for Dublin on Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the latest GFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

I'm a fan of the Norwegian models and they are indicating a greater chance of snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday for my area (150m+ ASL) between Cork City and Mallow). Probably end up being just a dusting with the school run being interesting on County backroads. 🙃

As long as my flight to London on Thursday goes as scheduled... Off to the artic to see some proper cold. 💪

Cold fighting back and becoming entrenched with Snow events on Thursday and Saturday on the gfs 18z.

the usual 18z crazyness. temperatures next weekend.

just for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Extraordinary upgrades this evening with potential blizzards for the centre and North of the country. Indeed the cold moves back down early next week. Could be very disruptive where the cold and ppn meet. All speculation for now but its suddenly interesting again

• Advertisement

yes we could be on the cusp of a very memorable week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement