Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A mention of Snow on the Cork Airport TAF albeit a small chance. from 3am to 10am

PROB30 TEMPO 0803/0810 3000 -SN BKN007 

BECMG 0810/0812 08015G25KT 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As mentioned, there is a ice / snow warning for the SW on MET E for tonight:-

"Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Cork, Kerry

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Patchy sleet or snow overnight and Wednesday morning. Potential for hazardous conditions on some roads and footpaths.
    • Valid: 00:00 Wednesday 08/03/2023 to 12:00 Wednesday 08/03/2023
    • Issued: 10:58 Tuesday 07/03/2023..."

It looks like a possible rain to snow to rain event but on some charts there could be a reasonably decent amount of snow in some parts around until, say, mid morning (with rush hour thus potentially affected). I'm posting a chart from Aperge, simply because it as the one that best called last night (it never really showed much chance of snow last night, others did). This is half interesting if snow is your thang and you are in Cork or Kerry. Obviously higher ground and inland are better favoured but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What's the timeline for this snow event? Looking at some of the charts, it seems to be from Thursday morning to Friday morning?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be an epic event for some across the West, North West and North , barring any sudden downgrades. As said if this was in January or early February it would likely be a epic nationwide event and we would not have to concern ourselves about it all melting away rather quickly. I just really hope in not too distant future we can get a situation like this in January or February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UKV high res snow models showing this will be mainly a high ground and Donegal/Northern Ireland event. High ground areas could see several feet of snow etc.

Low lying areas away from Donegal doesn't really show up on these charts due to the probably very temporary nature of settling snow.

Thursday will see Temperatures back into double figures across much of Leinster and Munster so anything that falls here will be just rain.

North of Galway city to Newry looks like where the snow will be which is identical to what MT is forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Some impressively low Dew Points right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yes im so excited about the snow thats coming, its going to be epic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Don't think I could handle the Donegal summer tho! Meath is a basket case for winter snow but the summers are half decent most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭compsys

I'd argue Meath is one of the best locations for nice summer weather. Far enough east to get a bit less rain and just in enough from the coast to avoid the sea breeze. And not too far north.

Yes, places much further west are probably best for the odd 3 or 4 day exceptional heatwave we might get each summer. But generally the greater Dublin area/Leinster is best for summer weather.

The complete opposite for snow of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Yes the March sun, two weeks from the Spring Equinox.

I remember having snow falling and lying on St. Patrick's Day 1995. The sun came out and some weather stations, not far away, hit 13c around 4pm!

You need 2 things in March for a good snow event to help offset being out of season. One heavy snowfall like NE Ulster in 2013. And 2, cloud cover.

In 2006 St.Patrick's Day was cold and cloudy in the south midlands with granules of snow blowing. The temperature hovered around freezing all day.

The south Dublin esp Rathfarnham snowfall of the morning of 16 April 1999 is another example of strong sun coming out and snow melting quickly in 10c temps. The sun strength and angle was the equivalent of 26 August!

Post edited by Ragwort and Stones on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Not expecting any snow for Dublin over next few days but hope I’m wrong. As for other parts like the midlands and northwest I really hope you get a right pasting!

Lovely crisp sunny day enjoying my walk. Will probably get a few more in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Meteorologist's Commentary

Cold spell commencing 6th of March 2023

Updated 12.45pm Tuesday 7th March 2023

The uncertainties surrounding the forecast for Thursday the 9th of March are keenly illustrated on the chart below. The image demonstrates the probability of precipitation falling as either drizzle, rain, sleet or snow based on a forecast from Met Éireann’s high-resolution ensemble prediction system, IREPS. The darker the colour, the more certain the forecast is for that precipitation type to fall.

Probability of precipitation falling as either drizzle, rain, sleet or snow at 3pm on Thursday the 9th of March from a model forecast on Tuesday the 7th of March.

The snapshot shown is the forecast for 3pm on Thursday the 9th of March, as of the morning of the 7th of March. Focusing on the “Rain”, “Sleet” and “Snow” panels, the transformation of the precipitation as it moves northwards across the country is evident, with the precipitation almost certain to fall as rain in the somewhat milder air to the south, becoming sleet through north Munster and into the midlands and a very high likelihood of snow in north Leinster and Ulster.

According to Dr. Alan Hally, Forecasting Services Manager at Met Éireann, “Our high-resolution ensemble prediction system is specifically designed to represent the uncertainties related to these types of events. In Ireland, the occurrence of snow is almost always a marginal event, and our forecasters rely heavily on ensemble prediction systems in order to determine the most likely outcome and to decide on appropriate and timely warnings”.

For the most accurate and up to date forecast for your area on the Island of Ireland, go to http://www.met.ie. The latest weather advisories and warnings for Ireland are on the Met Éireann Warnings page.

Issued at 6pm Monday 6th March 2023

Much colder this week as a northerly airflow moves over the country introducing sharp to severe frosts at night and icy patches with some snow in the forecast.

A cold front sinks southward across Ireland on Monday evening (March 6th) introducing a much colder polar maritime airmass. Met Éireann has issued a Yellow Ice warning for tonight (Monday 6th of March) as temperatures drop to freezing countrywide.

According to Forecaster Gerry Murphy “For Monday night temperatures will fall to between -4 to 0 degrees leading to a widespread sharp frost and some icy stretches, especially over the northern half of the country. Further south, outbreaks of rain will turn to sleet or snow for a time overnight in Munster leading to poor visibility and hazardous driving conditions. A cold bright day on Tuesday will be followed by a very cold night on Tuesday night with widespread frost and some icy stretches. Outbreaks of sleet or snow may develop late in the night in Cork and Kerry”.

Airmass for Tuesday 7th March – Thursday the 9th of Marth showing a cold (blue) airmass extending southwards over Ireland.

There is a lot of uncertainty in the forecast from midweek onwards, with some model runs bringing the boundary between the cold polar airmass and the milder tropical airmass northwards over the country, which could bring a spell of snow for a time ahead of the milder air. The extent of this event and its impacts will become more evident by midweek, at which time further warnings will be issued if necessary.

For the most accurate and up to date forecast for your area on the Island of Ireland go to met.ie. The latest weather advisories and warnings for Ireland are on the Met Éireann Warnings page. These services and more are available on our free app – available from the App store for iPhone, and Play store for Android.

For information on winter weather preparation, please consult www.winterready.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Connacht, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A spell of rain will move up over the country on Thursday morning, turning to sleet and snow with some accumulations expected.

Possible Impacts:

● Hazardous driving conditions

● Travel disruption

Valid: 06:00 Thursday 09/03/2023 to 00:00 Friday 10/03/2023

Issued: 12:53 Tuesday 07/03/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I know Dunshaughlin seems to have cloudiest coolest wettest weather at times in the county Gonzo 😉 but we do have better elsewhere, we are very close to tankardstown wood in rathkenny, its quite hilly, i dont want snow at this time of year btw, grass is cut, hedges trimmed, and all that, but we do ok when its forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yeah think we are going to be fortunate in Dublin and avoid any snowfall...Will be cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm to go Dublin tomorrow but may no go as carrick could have good bit snow ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

@squarecircles , thanks for that article on the Irish high Resolution EPS. Very interesting. For the snow probability shown in the graphic, I can clearly see that is taking into account topographical features with high chances of snow in the hills nearly Oldcastle (Meath), Corn Hill (Longford) and moderate chances around the area of moderately high ground (in comparison with the widespread surrounding areas) roughly between Edgeworthstown and Longford town in County Longford. I hope to be down at the house that's located within that last area mentioned during the event so I will be able to give first hand reports as to how well the forecast has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Both GFS and UKMO trended south this morning with the trajectory of Thursday's LP which is good news for coldies. ECM is closest for widespread disruptive snowfall. For Dubs if we want max potential we need this sort of track a pinch further south.

Several attempts to bring in milder Atlantic air over the next few days.

The trend is good right now.

Kermit, would you mind sending me the exact link for this model please.

Neither had Archimedes or Pythgoras in Maths.

These fellas are studying this subject for decades.

Many farmers have no formal qualifications but through experience know more than fellas coming out of Kildalton or Multyfarnham. They've seen all scenarios.

Smacks of begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks too marginal for the South coastal areas such as Cork. Mainly rain, hill sleet both tonight and tomorrow. If it was only a month ago! Currently 7.5C here in bright sunshine

such a nice day today, there is genuine warmth in that sun despite it being only 6C. Feels much milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes. Don't go. You will regret it for the rest of your life if you do!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I'll keep you posted, you never know! Just in from cutting the grass in blazing sunshine, blue skies all the way, but it is cold. Cattle and horses out in the fields happily basking in the sun ! I doubt we will get snow must check in with my Donegal and Meath friends and see how they're getting on in these challenging weather times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I wish I could have cattle out. On the milder years I get them out on the 25th March or so. I'm south midlands and 337m asl, it would be very different country. Though no complaints with any summer or year since 2015, a washout here.

People forget the difference in regions in such a small country. Also the difference altitude makes. 2 or 3c is huge in marginal weather.

Enjoy the nice crisp day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An upland spell of snow in Munster tonight is now pretty certain.

For tomorrow into Thursday and Friday, the situation south of this line is a total lottery and don't let anyone tell you different.

It will be a nowcast. Lamppost watchers, buy the cocoa and clean your windows.

Snow will be dependent on dew points, cold air undercut, time of day, solar energy penetration through the upper and then lower cloud bases and lots more.

North of that line, an upland snow event is also pretty certain at +36/+48 but lower and coastal snow is also marginal, but less so than south of the line.

But sure isn't that the fun that brings us here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement