Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

If we were guaranteed 6ft of snow annually, the Thaw-Forecast posts would be the only thing seen in FI threads

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The thread would be

MILD SPELL 🙏 (OF DEPTH AND DURATION UNCERTAIN!) STARTING TUESDAY 7TH MARCH

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nowt but soupy sleety rain in D9. Looks like some clearing on the way.

I think Tuesday is looking very nice for the N and NW. Looks like quite the potent northerly with some very cold air coming down. Blink and you'll miss it though. Not sure many will be awake for it as the peak of it is during the AMs, and a ridge will be nudging in quickly on Tuesday afternoon/evening. Should be some snow about.

Further afield, more and more runs teasing out further height rises to our N and NW. More easterly/north easterly this time round, however as has been the case for months now, no deep cold looks on offer. So dank, damp, miserable, cool but not overly cold a risk. All blocking looking transient and rather weak, no out-and-out monster blocks that look like sustaining themselves and dragging in the depth of cold needed for any sort of decent cold or snow past mid-March. Perhaps the mountains will continue to enjoy some snow events for the remainder of the month with the battle between transient cooler air and the Atlantic coming back through. A barrage of LPs in the meantime to contend with for the rest of us.

I suppose I'll always sacrifice March and April if the weather gods give me back a lovely June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

13c Cork. 2c Mullingar. 11c difference in less than 200km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A lovely 10c in Waterford, feels glorious after the week. This morning was horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Calling a halt to my day...... Just too miserable and depressing and I am not usually affected like this..

Stove banked up.... all else set aside...

Goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

4c in Sligo and cold rain. Very disappointing lack of snow on lower levels considering you guys further South got it. It was 2c this morning and raining and -3c dew point but still rain. Can you fathom that? Was sure we'd get the snow this morning.

Well it can feck right off now and hopefully Tuesdays cold is pushed North as I'm sick of being cold and wet. Even if it was MINUS 50 in Sligo it'd rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It could be to do with how close you are to the sea and the direction of the wind. Also the wet Bulb temperature might have been too high. March is going to be cool a lot of the time, Pauldry. There could be further snow at times, before a possible warm up towards the very end into April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Awful cold rain sleet and wet snow.

Very little snow stuck over the period, thank goodness, but now everything is saturated.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Thinking of bringing the kids up to the hellfire club tomorrow, is there much snow left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I saw a few snowmen in Galway earlier today. Amazing how long they last.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Colder air clinging on to Malin 4c for now but 9c at finner in the far south of Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The ECM is still looking good for Tuesday, I think it is notable how showery it looks, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it were the GFS as it overdoes showers but I can't recall seeing the ECM going for such extensive wintry shower activity. Hopefully @nacho libre isn't let down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Over on netweather a bit of complaining going on about that dam line, looks pretty good to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If we had LOL icons as well as thanks, I would give that a LOL, but if it was -50 in Sligo, it would likely have already snowed? Like for example in any of the glacial advance periods of the past 100,000 years (not to mention earlier glacials) when the last ice age was just starting up, there were probably some pretty decent winters in Ireland in that interval. All it takes to get a glacial cycle going is ten or twenty unusual years without complete snow melt, a buildup like you see in my photo reducing to a foot of residual ice, and within a century you're on the way if the orbital cycles don't counter-punch and melt your buildup. I'm guessing you are around 35-40 from your mention of having an eleven-year-old son, so my guess is, winters will perhaps become more severe in Ireland and all of Europe before you reach the grey zone, just because (a) the hemispheric patterns may begin to change in sync with changes to the earth's magnetic field and (b) law of averages, I don't think AGW will increase as a factor from now on and in any case I think that factor is being over-estimated while natural variability is under-estimated as a cause of the general increase in temperatures since about 1988. Even so, in that era, we have seen at least three decent winters, a rate of about once a decade.

Sligo is definitely at a disadvantage for reasons that you have mentioned in various posts, and those would be (a) a tendency for downsloping in east to northeast winds, (b) still rather close to Atlantic influence and northern Sligo at low elevations, and (c) distance from Irish Sea and fetch almost all over land for ENE through Ulster. All of these mean that north Sligo needs a lot of things to go right to cash in, more than almost anywhere else other than Wexford and Waterford coasts and nearly subtropical microclimates of southwest Kerry.

That was so in Orkney! There was on the island a bank. ditch and until/unless the snow was gone from there it was not over.... Always accurate..

I knew on waking that that bitter cold had eased its grip.... Bliss.... a wind gusting at intervals in the background but just to be at ease...

Too early to see what like it is snow-wise. Wish I could find that camera to computer cable as I took some breathtaking photos of the mountains shining with crisp sparkling snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I’m thinking the same! What time are you planning on going? Could you post here to let us know if there is any snow left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thursday was very disappointing here in West Mayo. There was a cm of snow in patches lying but the main band of sleety snow that moved in from 11 didn't accumulate and neither did it get any better when the day got colder in the evening, in fact the day just become more horrible as it went on. We had a better fall of snow sometime in Feb last year where we had a few inches but without any media hype about it.

Friday was a gorgeous bright crisp day though, went for cycle in the country to look at the views of the snow covered mountains which was nice.

• Advertisement

Yellow - Snow and Ice Warning for Antrim, Down, Tyrone, Derry

Valid: 17:00 Monday 13/03/2023 to 11:00 Tuesday 14/03/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Everything you say in your post is absolutely correct MT except for my age unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

More opportunities for snow early this week. Met Eireann hinting at it too. We could have fatigue in this thread now as nobody posting 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It will spring back to life once there's a remote chance of snow. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It will be the lead story on the news if we get or likely to get a few cm of snow so hold tight .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I dont think it will, as theres no risk for the greater Dublin area this time.

Snow from the North West is a definite second-class citizen around here 😜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The risk for snow is very low this week away from Donegal and even there it doesn't look like it's going to deliver anything other than some flakes well inland or high ground and a bare dusting if even that. That northerly has been downgrading on every run for days now, a 12 to 24 hour event and for most it will be dry and a break from the rain.

Not exactly a snow chart to get excited over unless your in Scotland where there is instability. This is also a blink and you miss it affair for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think some of us are a bit burned out after what happened last week, but those are the breaks. And as Rougies mentioned the short term hi resolution model were vastly more realistic than the GFS and ECM snow depth charts, but we chose to ignore them

Anyway I wonder how much snow Knock Airport had last Thursday. I imagine the view from the old Road would have been good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A toppler unfortunately but looking at this there might be a few surprises while it lasts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Well Gerry after the 9 news just said sunshine and showers for Tuesday. Not even wintry showers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement