Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Getting some sleet in Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter cold out here and totally still...will reconnoitre as soon as light allows

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet reported at Cork AP at 0500. 1c

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

We've had a light snow fall overnight in NW Donegal. Cars are frozen. Traffic seems to be moving ok on gritted roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Icy cars and roads this morning in Carlow town. Hills surrounding us have a sprinkling of snow, they're white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭fits

Snow on higher ground in Carlow. On the ridge and also foothills of mount Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

00z guidance has unfortunately split on the prospects for snow late Wed into Thurs. GFS pretty much on its own with a warmer solution. (inside baseball here, Net-weather leans on GFS, so their take will be GFS-driven ... certain posters fall into line with this ... and I am a bit of a GFS fan myself but not when all other models go a different route) ...

ECM, Arpege and GEM all take the low across the south and it's at least marginally good for snow in central counties, very good for north and higher elevations south-central too.

Will have to forecast this with a hedged statement of course, but it's either a GFS coup or a snow event. Big differences also on model evolution in eastern North America, GFS has a big New England snowstorm Sat-Sun, Euro and GEM take it well south and then hit the same region mid-week with a system that the GFS ignores. Some differences in handling the ongoing retrograde and changes in Pacific related to MJO is what I'm hearing from the weather nerds.

Holding at 70% risk snow northern third, 40% central and 10% south except on hills.

The Friday thing remains in play too with all guidance agreeing it turns cold late Thursday into early Friday and mild by late Saturday into Sunday, so warm frontal breakdown snow is on the table for Friday night. Details too obscured by this model discrepancy earlier on. It's a big differential for models at 48h.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

No resolution to the split in the ensembles this morning

Still lots of uncertainty to track of low. Very tight temperature gradient

ecm would give big snow totals across midland areas possible 20cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not a flake in Cork any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Nice ECM for a midlands dumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Very slight dusting on the Galtees this morning, but I didn't have to defrost the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Doesn't look like the cork snow materialised :( heres to winter 2023-2024

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sadly yes. No precipitation left by the time coldest temps hit here. In fact it's still a degree off snowing anyway so a double bust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Odd being -1c in Naas and no ice or frost.

I was expecting the car and roads to be ice sheets after last night's rain. There was no gritting on the main roads or at the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A couple of pellets of graupel have fallen on my windscreen in last 5 mins. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Cork2021

0 degrees here in my area of north cork, grand and dry, it was misting when walking home from the pub last night at around 11pm was expecting ice and so on but nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Louth

Bit nippy -1 on the car...thin coating of ice on car, took it handy coming in, others didn't

Media 2023 Weather warning, Arctic BLAST News bulletins telling us how to drive and how to de-ice our cars

Media in the past It will be cold for a few days this week,temps dipping below freezing,drive with care

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No snow whatsoever in Kildare this morning. No frost on ground either. Nice sunny morning.

The hype train in this country is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Arctic blast, Best from the east part 2, country set to freeze.

All headlines I have heard this week. Not Met Eireanns fault I suppose but it's still getting annoying. We will have a proper weather event at some stage and people wont heed the warnings.

Beautiful day here in NE Kildare. I actually think it's been a long winter. Might be to do with the price of energy. I hear some saying it's been mild but I wouldn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most of us . well, hope for the best but just in case are ready for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Who told you there would be snow this morning? Wednesday night and Friday night have long been pegged as the 2 most likely windows for a chance of snow.

Slight ground frost in Galway this morning as I was leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann has the Low too far North now. Will be messy snow with blizzards in Ulster .

The rest of us will play in slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

never so much as a mention of snow for Kildare today..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes would love to see some charts too please? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tonight could get as low as minus 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭mykrodot

+100%!

Here in West Kerry its like a normal early March morning. Cold and fresh. No wind, no rain, nothing.

"Beast from the East"??? More like Wimp from the West!!

its a joke, years ago seasons were called seasons for a reason. In Winter it was cold........ that could be right up to April on a bad year. We are a bunch of snowflakes now (excuse the pun)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement