Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Some snow on the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Only noticed this thread now, after i seen the BBC weather forecast, it looked good for us in Meath for Thursday, think i heard "disruptive snow" mentioned for most of northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Meh, I don't think we're a massive country of snowflakes when it comes to the weather, the tabloid media have just gone haywire. Everything is pure sensationalism, written by someone who's knowledge of weather is that rain is bad and sun is good.

I find that most people pay very little heed. At this stage most have realised those big dramatic headlines are far from the truth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tell that to all the people during the last "Yellow warning" a couple of weeks ago that were telling people not to chance going to work etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Got some snow last night, hills all around have a nice covering Kilkenny/laois border and at least 200m asl up there. We will wait and see…. Still not convinced but anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

West Kerry is probably the worst region in the country for snowfall, bar mountain tops. Sea moderation and southerly.

On almost every Met Eireann temperature map for a wintry day if it's 1c in NI, 2c in the midlands, there'll be a 5-7c temperature circle on the extreme south west. We need a bit of reality here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This will be non event for Meath, it usually is with too much marginality and the Irish sea kills it for us nearly every time there is a frontal event. This will be a non event for much of Ireland away from Donegal and the North-west as well as maybe some transitional stuff across the midlands. Monaghan and Cavan may get some covering for a while. Everywhere else cold rain or temporary sleet. The reality is most of us are going to be staring at green grass all week. Outside of areas close to the Northern Ireland border and the north-west there is no point thinking a blizzard is on it's way or else your going to be very disappointed indeed.

This is mainly a UK event for Northern Ireland, Scotland and northern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

In Meath at the moment but I might head to the house in Longford tomorrow evening, as there's a far better chance of snow there although even at that, it would be close to borderline. Perhaps the 100m ASL altitude could be just enough to keep me on the snow, rather than sleet side of things. With winds mainly from the east during this event, the higher ground to my immediate northeast to southeast of over 130m may even allow me to "borrow" some slightly colder air from there and boost my chances a small bit.

It really is that borderline for my location in Longford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭mykrodot

i know this. I grew up in Donegal and spent the last 10 years in Meath, only moved to Kerry last year. It doesn't negate the fact that we are weather dramatists now, "Beast from the East", people posting pics of a dusting of snow, calling it a blizzard (currently happening in the UK media where most people are actually experiencing lovely weather over there) . This was a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Although the Met Eireann forecast mentions snow quite a lot in the latest forecast, I see that there are no Met Eireann issued snow warnings for tomorrow or Thursday. My guess is that they will be waiting for the latest Harmonie and ECMWF runs to come out before they make a decision to put out a snow warning. I'm pretty confident that they will, however.

Harmonie is not as bullish as ECMWF though.

In any case, anyone living close to the East coast and away from high ground may be lucky to even see snowflakes falling during this upcoming event.

@Gonzo , your chances would be somewhat better than those further east as you're inland a bit and have a bit of an altitude advantage but I agree with you that it most likely won't be anything exciting or dramatic for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

light sprinkle of snow in sw donegal this morning beautiful clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Connacht, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Hazardous conditions due to freezing temperatures. Icy stretches on roads and footpaths.

Valid: 21:00 Tuesday 07/03/2023 to 09:00 Wednesday 08/03/2023

Issued: 10:58 Tuesday 07/03/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snow ice warning for Cork tonight just issued

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Of course. Click bait.

But it's only the start of the spell and a lot of areas will see snow.

Saying it's not very cold in West Kerry and we've no snow is akin to a Wexford man saying there's another year gone with no Sam Maguire and back in the 1910s we held it 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Yellow Snow/Ice Warning for Cork/Kerry just issued from midnight tonight to midday tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

00Z ECM EXCITING

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dublin to completely avoid any snow it seems. Showing 7 degrees on Thursday in Dublin. Lovely sunny day today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Noticed Ice on sheltered cars in Galway City, there was obviously some level of freeze last night, I wonder how the roads were this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

06 Z GFS is now aligning with the ECM for disruptive snowfall across the northern half of the country, so exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Snow warning 1900 to 0900

Antrim, Derry, Down, Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie a little shift South for Thursday now too, North Donegal could miss out on the heaviest and could be Sligo/Mayo that sees the highest snowfall levels.

Very interesting 48 hours ahead and I think a few areas are in for a shock Thursday/Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Warning Updated.

5 to 10cm across broad areas even to low elevation with 15 to 20cm possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

You might want to travel the few miles out to Tara on Thursday Gonzo. Being 500 feet above sea level usually makes a big difference in these setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo, i think you need to leave your beloved Dunshaughlin and head to Donegal. In other news it's amazing what the March sun does, it actually feels pleasant enough out at the moment. Back in early February it would feel really cold and temperatures would likely be struggling to get above 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

No snow for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

There will be further changes in this evening's models. GFS has moved towards the ECM somewhat this morning. The Arpege and Arome tend to be quite good on precip and are closer to ECM than GFS at present

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is a fairly realistic looking snow depth chart from the GFS 6z and very similar to what I posted earlier.

Greater Dublin area and east coastal counties forget about it apart from Wicklow Mountains. High ground in Munster might do ok. Snow in the North-west a few cm, much more in high ground areas. Areas close to the border such as Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan may do ok. The midlands is the toughtest one to call. The further away from the Irish sea the better so could be sleet or wet snow without sticking for some eastern parts of the midlands. Snow much more extensive across Northern Ireland , Scotland and Northern England even to low levels.

If this was the middle of January it would be a far more exciting scene for all of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement