Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Let's be honest the fact the staff didn't have to pay for parking was a benefit in kind for 20 plus years. So 60ish roughly euro of a hit for people who probably aren't on great wages is fairly tough.

It isn't realistic to say "get a bus" depending on where you are it can be a logistical nightmare.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't say "get a bus".

What I did point out that this new parking charge will be a fairly low amount when you consider what these staff ("who probably aren't on great wages") would be spending on petrol/diesel to get to work.

In addition, as most of the chain shops in the centre have outlets in the city centre, is it fair that those workers in LV got free parking whilst those in town had to pay for it?

It's more money lost for people who are likely not on great money. 60ish euro is a decent amount of money for some people.

Liffey valley is not the city centre though, it is an out of town shopping centre which never charged for parking in the 20 plus years it has been opened. It's also fairly obvious...but the city centre is far better served with public transport...Liffey valley is abysmal. I used to occasionally get the 40...it takes an age and stops at every fecking hedge along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I said the same in an earlier post, I live a 10 minute drive from Liffey Valley but for me to get the 40 bus to outside the centre, I'd first have to get a 151 or 13, then the "magical" 76 if it appears and then the 40 from the neilstown road... its an absolute joke.

But its the same with the Luas, I have to drive to the Luas and park up, so you've no chance of getting the Luas if you live near liffey valley!!

Hopefully, this might highlight the bad bus routes in the area.

I was in the Square on Saturday evening for the first time since the new parking was put in and the number plate recognition system was not working!

So everyone had to scan their tickets to leave the car park causing a bit of a tail back. They did have a staff member on the barrier showing people how to do it, though.

Annoyed me that I had to pay a euro for a visit lasting less than 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

I can't say I'm surprised. It has always been poor, I live directly on the 40 route...but it can still take an age to get to Liffey valley.

It's a cash grab for them they should just be honest about it... improvement to the "parking experience" my arse.

That Tesco carpark is going to be bedlam I predict....

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Tesco's will no doubt start charging and then just validate your ticket at checkout, and I'd say B&Q and the retail park will follow suit.... I personally don't see the appeal of liffey valley, I just head to blanch if I'm going shopping. The kids will head up for the cinema or to meet friends but Ill just drop them off at the terminus now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Exactly everyone will be dropping them off at the terminus and traffic will back up more. Liffey valley is grand to walk around but on a shop front its poor.

Marks is on their last legs, if this new make over doesn't work it will be gone. That whole end is pretty dead. The only thing Liffey Valley has is the cinema and if they are validating tickets then they be ok. Liffey valley can't afford to lose the Cinema either

New tesco opening in Adamstown also, so better option there and that could be the end of Dodsboro tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Barriers are down today so I assume paying starts today, carpark is empty and I just drove by and went into Tesco, dont think they thought this one through at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,900 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Today is the day according to their website.

I was going to nip out for a couple of bits in M&S, but because of this (however irrational) I didn't, and won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd say people might boycott the car park for a week max.

While Tesco carpark isn't exactly a hike away, walking to and from in the rain with shopping for the sake of a euro will get tedious quickly.

Is not irrational at all, all of those parking fees will add up. I usually am in there every day/second day buying dinner/lunch etc. No more, if I just go into Tesco I save 10-15 per week, that's 40-60 per month, approx 500 per year - seems completely rational to me

isn't it 2.50? I guess it depends on how regular you would usually shop there, people heading to M&S would usually head there regular, so these would add up - the car park around that area is now empty today, it just doesn't make sense at 2.50 and never will

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It has more than 20 bus routes stopping at LV.

How do you know whether rents were adjusted or not? That kind of information isn’t in public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sorry I was thinking about the square.

Yeah the parking fees will kill regular pitstop customers .

Even at 2.50 I don't think I'd be arsed parking in Tesco and walking over. However when I go to LV it's usually to look in a few shops and I might drop shopping off in the boot and return so traipsing to Tesco and back would not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

According to the Q&A section of their website there's supposed to be a 15min grace period: https://www.liffeyvalley.ie/parking/carpark-faqs

25. If I enter a car park and can’t find a space, will I be charged?

No. There is a 15-minute grace period to allow you to enter the car park and find a space. If you enter and leave the car park within 15 minutes, you will not be charged.

How's the cinema validation going to work has anyone any idea as there are no tickets dispensed upon entry. It's supposed to read your reg details upon entry and exit and deduct the appropriate fee automatically depending if you have a “Park Easy” account, alternatively you can pay the fee manually (cashless only) at one of the ticket machines before exiting or at the actual barrier (envisage great delays upon exit with people paying and questioning the fees requested)

Again according to the Q&A section:

22. Will I be charged for parking when visiting the cinema?

Vue Cinema customers will be entitled to have their parking validated once a valid cinema ticket has been scanned. Please speak to Vue staff for further details.

I was in Liffey Valley at the cinema on Sat evening for the first time in a few years (very reasonable prices starting from €6) and had intended to ask staff about the validation process for future potential visits. However when leaving the cinema shortly after 21:00 the place was thronged with queues for everything so trying to question staff and seek information wasn't practical.

As part of the cinema trip we also visited one of the onsite eateries so even if parking was easily validated I wonder would it just cover that initial 3hrs for €2.50.

Yes but they don't all serve the local area or do they actually turn up. Any where south or north of LV and you will struggle to get a bus

I know one of the business in there and the owner.

Wonder how that could work for Tesco's Click & Collect customers?

If they all only served the local area, you’d be moaning that people from further away couldn’t work there.

Well if they did both then we would have a public transport service. Something that Ireland lacks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Stop with the bus chatter. Not a single shopper who currently drives to Liffey Valley is getting the bus there now because of the parking charges. I’d be fairly certain that is true for 99% of staff which currently drive too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Its a bloody inconvenience to get the bus from pretty much anywhere in the surrounding area.

You are either spending 45 minutes in a bus each way or a 15 minute drive each way. Personally I dont mind paying the 2.50 if I am going once every couple of months or so. but what I will stop is going to marks and Spencers or going to the food court with my kids cause I know I wont be in and out in 15 minutes.

Gee, it must be great to have telepathic powers to be able to see inside the minds of all LV shoppers and staff.

Amazing how a small charge is a huge problem apparently, but when given the option to take the bus, the lads are all rushing back to their cars with their tails between their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah sure there he is now, as certain as night follow day, whenever car use is being hammered, AJR will be there to stick up for the greenies.

I imagine when this nonsense starts hitting the bottom line of the already struggling Liffey Valley retailers, all of sudden Hines' obligation to the City Council will evaporate....

Yeah, it will certainly kill off good retailing, just like it did in Dundrum, Pavilion, Frascati, Whitewater...

Congrats on your stoic defence of the privileges of middle-aged middle-class men though. I hear you're up for the Order of the Diabetic award this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A) I didn’t say I had a problem with the charge

B) Parking is still cheaper, quicker and all round easier than bus journeys. Do you honestly expect anyone who was thinking of driving to think “you know what, I’ll get the bus instead. It’ll take me longer to get there, cost me more and won’t be as comfortable”.

You don’t need telepathic powers. You just need common sense, or a look at the square or dundrum that have charges and full car parks (despite much better public transport offerings)

And I say that as someone who uses public transport everyday and hopes that our public transport system continues to develop.

But you have to live in the real world too. Liffey Valley is designed for car drivers. Those who currently drive there will either continue to do so, or stop going. I bet they continue to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gout is more my thing. You know, gin and foie gras. Totally worth it though.

Your examples, however, are bogus. Dundrum and Whitewater had pay-parking built into their business model before it even left the page, while Frascati slayed the sacred cow of free parking in order to get planning permission for several million quids worth of apartments overhead.

Liffey Valley, on the other hand, is offering nothing new to customers, as it attempts to introduce new charges (and penalise already low paid staff) in the middle of a cost of living crisis!

At the very least, its bad timing. At worst, its negligent management.

But I'm sure you'll agree, there's little doubt that the owners of the retail units must now be quite concerned about their investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You were warned before. Do not post in this thread again.

My understanding is that there is limited staff parking so no guarantee that it’s only 2.50 a day.

I e spent longer than 15 minutes looking for a space in Liffey valley in the past ( at least for a space closer to the entrance) - at peak times it could be challenging stuck in the one small area to find a space in 15 minutes-

Its one more reason not to go to Liffey valley- as many have said there’s very little there these days to attract customers - and with online shopping, “flagship” aren’t what they used to be- if you know your size and know the brand, the benefit of visiting in person is out weighed now by additional costs and hassle involved in pay parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think the casual shoppers that only visit LV 3 or 4 times a year or less won't be put off by the new charges. However its the bread and butter customers who visit weekly or several times a week for just even a coffee or some routine toiletries in Boots, some bits in Penneys or a meal deal from the foodcourt will be discouraged. Paying €10 or €20 or less for what you need and then a 25% or more surcharge for parking will be off-putting, especially if they visit 50 or 100 times a year as it does add up.

I agree employees should have free parking or an annual reasonably priced pass as retail/hospitality/security workers are some of the most notoriously low paid workers in the economy, particularly part timers.

Advertisement