Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No one will be using public transport given the tail backs this weekend. No bus lanes all the way so no incentive there.

Cycling definitely not safe either.

Heard the staff are going mad over the proposed charges and fear for their jobs.

Liffey valley will back down and give first 2 hours free etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@AndrewJRenko - stop trolling, you've been warned before. Next time it's a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I've already said in this thread that I'd be more than happy to pay extra for bigger spaces that are closer to the doors to guard against inclement weather.

Would be a great money spinner for the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fwiw I was there earlier. No difference at all in the sizes. Plenty of space down by marks and spencer. Staff managing the entry into each car park

Was in the office earlier this week, Dublin City is dead, alot of places after closing down. We face on to O'Connell bridge so get a good view of the city.

Liffey Valley need to be very careful if they get this wrong

• Advertisement

Must be that area because where my office sits it’s nearly back to pre pandemic levels. Public transport packed in morning and evening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Maybe the offices in some areas are, but I was around the Grafton St area last weekend and noticed a whole slew of new retail closures.

Also, one of the Government crisis this winter will be to mandate working from home to reduce road fuel usage and heating of commercial premises. The City may be somewhat busier now, but it will resemble lockdown conditions once again, especially in January and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I see Easons on O'Connell Street is up for sale on a leaseback deal. The entire street has been let go to the wall, I pity those investing in the Clery's site, they will need ex-special forces security when it opens up to maintain any degree of a safe retail/leisure environment.

One of the major problems for retail in Dublin City is a lot of the prime buildings have been bought by pension funds and their rent expectations are from a world about 20 years ago pre online delivery and will never return to that but they can't accept it.

It'll be the making of this City when a whole host of commercial assets tank permanently in value and become prime candidates for conversion to residential. Imagine a lovely apartment in the top floor of Easons, or in the Ulster Bank overlooking College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

No commercial assets then no commercial, and no commercial means no jobs, so that lovely apartment where Easons or Ulster Bank used to be will be empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't there a luxury penthouse apartment in the top of the former Danske Bank on Dame St (now H&M) ?

These places won't be affordable housing if they ever happen, that's for sure!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yes I think there is and a couple along the Quays I've seen too, but they will become affordable when the novelty of the one off types that you mention wears off and they become more widespread.

We sit at the main entrance into the city. Quays traffic practically empty from 10 am to 4 pm.

Shows how quiet it is https://www.carrollsirishgifts.com/dublinwebcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So have they actually started charging in the car parks yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I went up to Tesco at lunchtime on Tuesday. The roadworks at the first main roundabout are really progressing well. Looks like they were almost ready to lay the new tarmac and the new kerbs seemed and centre divider looked finished. Once that's complete, they need to finish up the stretch from there to the retail park roundabout bit it looks like the finish line is in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in the Square at the weekend and their fancy new number plate recognition payment system. Only cos €1 for about 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Its a fine system and €1 for 3 hours is more than fair IMO.

I was in Blanchardstown last weekend and my god the traffic is insane around the SC, that will be next to charge as there is oceans of free parking provided on valuable land.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've checked online but it's very vague. Wondering if anyone knows if parking in the retail park/Tesco/B+Q will be charged also?

I'm not moaning but I'm not happy either, like everyone else will have to suck it up where necessary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It hasn't been set up for it as yet so I presume there are no immediate plans.

However, when their car parks are taken over by stingy people who park there and walk to the centre, expect some form of strict car park management, possibly including charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There had been talk about introducing charging for parking in Blanch just before Covid I think. Then Blackstone sold it to Goldman Sachs last year so no idea of GS are considering it ... yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Affordable penthouses in the city centre :D are you having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Liffey Valley SC start charging a parking fee for the first time tomorrow to (as they say) encourage people to use public transportation.

That's the shopping centre that straddles two motorways, isn't serviced by tram or rail and would require most people to get two buses.

Pure greed.

One motorway. The N4 is not a motorway.

Anyhow, the parking charge won't be much given what you're likely to spend there (in their overpriced shops) and if you don't want to pay it then don't go there! Simples!

It might not be much, but if you were going there for a click and collect or to get a quick lunch, this won't happen now.

The charge will also discourage people from heading over to get a coffee and have a quick look around, hence business will fall.

Staff staged a protest over the charges yesterday(more to come), the cinema and spec savers are going to take the hit and validate tickets for now.

Yeah , i think they are protesting/striking , in fairness it’s a pay cut

It’s €2.50 a day for staff in a designated car park but they aren’t guaranteed a spot. If their car park is full, they have to use the general park

You’d imagine anyone in this situation will use Tesco for the moment as they don’t have barriers

Yeah , i think they are protesting/striking , in fairness it’s a pay cut

Should staff working in our hospitals be given free parking? Do staff working in town get free parking?

It is not a pay cut, it is simply an additional expense of €2.50 per day which is hardly breaking the bank given it only applies to people who choose to drive whilst spending almost €2 per litre of fuel to get there. Liffey valley has very good 24/7 bus routes passing it. There are options for people. Not wanting to use them is not going to garner much sympathy.

People are far too used to getting free parking and assume it to be an entitlement. However, there was always a cost to this and now that cost is being levied on the user, which surely is fair.

The cost was past onto the businesses previously in their rent. Rent was not adjusted since this new charge came in. So now businesses are paying it twice for their staff and customers at the moment.

Liffey valley doesn't have a good bus route, there is something of 20% where buses are not turning up around the area!!

As for the 24 hr bus route, alot of the bus times are missed during the night shift, more than 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I wonder if this will reduce the break ins of cars.... if you are now going to be charged, will they have a security patrol in the carpark, like the used to?

I remember a time you wouldn't leave your car in the car park for an hour, for fear of it being broken into, especially in the M&S and overflow car park near the retail park, absolute carnage!!

But the buses are a sh!t show, I live in Clondalkin and for me to go to liffey valley, I'd need to get at least 2 buses just to get to the outskirts of the centre (B&Q), 3 buses if I want to get to the bus terminus at liffey valley. Now try doing that in winter, with heavy rain and paper bags!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a prime time episode on o Connell street this week...the whole area is a fecking nightmare.

Advertisement