Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

its also that most drivers tend to drive right up behind you and don't give you space to reverse into a tight spot like those in LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Resulting in pay parking being introduced in the retail park in short order, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really wouldn't be bothered walking across, going to LV was enough of a chore as it was, will just avoid the place as much as possible...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was eating in Cosmo with great views over the car park and I saw exactly what you mention. Big blockages of people trying to go into spaces, needing several turns to get in. Not their fault. Cars are a lot bigger than they were a few decades ago and the new layout doesn't help. The angled parking was so much superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I was always told it was safer to reverse park. Personal experience and first few google results seem to back this up, do you have anything to refer me too?

• Advertisement

It takes 5-10 times as long to reverse park than to slide it straight into an angled space. All that extra time is a waste of life, so lots of lives are lost that way. Simple!

I genuinely can't remember - were the parking spaces angled on the Penneys side as well? I know they were at the main entrance ad at M&S, and I definitely prefer angled parking.

In fairness to my memory, I always try for one of the disability parking spaces first (I am a badge holder) I but don't always get one - yet I can't remember the other regular spaces on that side being angled?

In saying all that, I drive a micra so the size of space is not usually an issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

"The angled parking was so much superior" - when used correctly. I have seen people insisting on reversing into those spots - not many but more than once. It defeats the purpose of the angled spaces but I can see how they were a good idea when used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I parked near M and S yesterday and it was surprisingly empty for a Thursday lunchtime . We were 90 minutes in the centre and I was very surprised at the lack of customers at that time . We were in M and S and very few there and Pennys was actually civil too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In fairness one would have to be a complete moron to reverse into an angled space.

The problem with backing into parking spaces (angled or not) is your boot is on the inside, someone in the space behind you can park close enough to make opening it difficult, and getting large shopping bags in is awkward especially given how much narrower the spaces are now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Reverse parking is pretty simple, even cars have cameras now to make it easier!!!

Car park was pretty empty again on Wednesday evening.

Everytime I was there it was quiet, and shops said footfall was well down.

I say at weekends its busy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is cunt1sh profit taking, little more. They are outside of the city limits, even the M50 and they're charging for a car park that is rarely if ever full.

As for those thinking that the non drivers were subsidising them before, please let me know what shops have dropped their prices to now satisfy you?

I really hope they lose a shed-ton of business over this. Yet another reason not to go near to Dublin, now extending county-wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

In my experience it was more that people would drive through an empty space to park facing out. But with the angled spaces and one way systems, it means they're facing the wrong way for driving out.

I preferred the angled spaces too. Very safe as well because you have a good view at the traffic lane as you're pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Reverse parking should be the norm, it was the norm when I learnt to drive. People who can't or won't reverse park are either lazy, have no patience or are incompetent imho. Yes there can be the small inconvenience of access to the boot in poorly designed car parks but it's far safer to later drive forward out of a parking space when your windows are misting up.

Many building sites demand reverse parking for site workers, standard safety stuff.

I hate being forced to drive forward into on street parking spaces by the local authority permitting angled parking. No business doing this and should be prosecuted under road safety legislation - thou shalt not reverse from a lesser road onto a mainer one. It is possible to reverse into angled spaces but unnecessarily awkward.

As for paying for parking, what's new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Eh... do you travel outside Dublin? Local towns here have lots of paid parking.

Yeah ok, I think we're done now with the "what way to park is best" discussion. Everybody has had their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Chevron spaces were much better! You could just drive in. Now yes with grid spaces reversing in is safer but slower

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The angled spaces were so much better. So much quicker for people to get in and out of

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Breezed into the Blanchardstown Centre's free multi-storey car park earlier this evening, for a bit of a date night. Spent 38 quid in Eddie Rocket's and 25 quid at the Cinema.

63 quid I would normally have spent in Liffey Valley cos I like the cinema, but no more.

Not just because of the charge for the Liffey Valley carpark, but because of the mess they've made of it, the terrible policy in relation to staff and their refusal to take cash.

I hear its worryingly quiet over there these last few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Just in case you haven't seen but Vue cinema in Liffey Valley is paying for parking. On entry to cinema when showing your ticket they ask if you drove and then give you a little card with a QR code to scan at the pay stations after. Works very well plus they have a great offering on all standard cinema tickets for €6 online (€7 if paid on site).

I do agree they've made a mess of it, the angled parking as mentioned above was good and the general disregard for staff is all too typical. Never frequented Liffey Valley very often but it's not a place I would have expected a lot of park and ride users parking for the day while working in the city. If it was such a problem they could have implemented a max stay of 4hrs (covers cinema goers) and starting clamping anything longer like they do in places like the Merrion Centre in D4 beside Vincent's Hospital.

Blanchardstown is my nearest cinema but I haven't been to it in at least 5 years, always expensive and they don't even do a cheap Wed showing anymore. Pre covid used to prefer going all the way into Smithfield to the LightHouse cinema which was just a nicer experience all round. I did look up pricing of Odeon cinemas a couple of weeks ago just prior to Liffey Valley starting to charge for parking and for standard seating it was showing me €14.50 + 0.95 booking fee for a whopping €15.45 per ticket so that was the incentive for my first ever visit to Vue cinema in Liffey Valley despite it being a bit of a pain to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Latest update from missus at Liffey Valley today as she had to get something for our daughter

”As busy as ever. Why you asking about parking again?!”

So reckon that’s me out of this thread 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I love the way people just believe anything someone spurts on a forum.

You'll find that this is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was over dropping someone off this morning and a small car was stopped at one of the barriers, which wouldn't lift, sat there for 5 minutes, obviously their license plate was dirty and couldn't be read. It was a nasty wet morning weatherwise so expect to see this be quite a regular occurrence over the next few months.

Also I think they have a cheek charging with roadworks still going on, it is a disaster trying to navigate the roads around the centre.

@Snake Plisken - fully agree. And it looks like there will be a permanent traffic light for going right at LV coming from the R113. That alone is a disaster that will unnecessarily delay people where there were no delays before as there was a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just down collecting family and retail carpark full and queue out onto the road at Tesco entrance at b&Q roundabout total disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Had first experience with the parking there today in operation.

A 2 minute queue to pay for the parking all the while being pushed around by people trying to enter or leave the shopping centre. To then come out and on exit see most people didn't pay, they're all fumbling with their cards and phones, holding the line of cars behind them.

Next time I won't be the idiot queueing twice. What an idiotic system. Spent €400 around the stores to then get heckled for spare change on the exit lol. Disgraceful. Pretty much every online retailer is doing free shipping, in Dublin I've to pay just to view the items. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A friend text me today “ Are they having a laugh in LV ? Asking people now to pay for the privilege of spending money in their shops . “

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oh no. Who could possibly have foreseen this terrible consequence...?

Silly buggers.

Thanks for the cinema offer above, but really with all the knock-on delays, frustrations and costs, I'll be staying well clear for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonder if Blanchardstown are rethinking their idea of paid parking? Certainly delay it. LV fúcked up by not waiting till mid January to implement this. I'll be 100% avoiding the place for Christmas

• Advertisement

Who was asking you for spare change?!? 🤔 LV parking is pay online, by account, or by card only, no cash accepted?

So if you're ever asked again, don't fall for that.

Advertisement