Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was dropping one of my lads to the cinema today, the roundabout at the cinema carpark entrance was blocked with cones and a couple of folks in high vis. I was able to explain that it was just a drop off and they let me through but they really need to sort a set down area for the cinema because I expect its a common occurrence. At least there seems to be 15 minutes grace period so that should cover the really quick stops.

The laughable thing however was that they were just waving cars through the exit barriers, whether that was a technical issue or because of the tailbacks that pay on exit was causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Saw this posted on facebook, they are not doing themselves any favours

"Just something I wanted to share that happened early today to me 🤔, so of I went to Liffey Valley Shopping Centre , so as you enter the car park now there is new barriers and your car reg is scanned and in you go , so after doing a bit of shopping I was there about 50 minutes, I left , and went over to the pay machines to pay and there is car park attendants to show you how to use the new machines , and you enter your car reg and it tells you how much you’ve to pay , mine came to €2.50 cent , the attendant says you tap your bank card , to pay , 

I said I don’t have a bank card with me , I said we’re is there cash payment , he said you have to go into customer service get a gift voucher card and pay them cash 

So of I went and I approached customer services , to ask for a €2.50 gift voucher card to pay for car parking , and she says the minimum you can purchase one for is €10 🤔, but I said all I want is €2.50 to pay for car parking , no her reply was you must buy one for €10 that is the minimum amount you can purchase a gift card for , so I then asked , so we’re can I go to pay for the car parking , I said I’m willing to pay the €2.50 for car parking , but you’d don’t have the facility for me to pay it , 

At no we’re did I see as you enter the car park that , you must pay by card 

Just another kick in the teeth to bring in a cashless society 🤔….and how mad the world is getting 🤷🤷"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s not that mad. She forgot her bank card She’ll bring it the next time (or park elsewhere, go elsewhere).

It’s no big deal and I’d wager 99.99% of drivers to Liffey Valley will have a card (or phone to pay) with them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What about the 00.01% who don't, who forget their wallet? Or more, more likely.

If that story is true, it's a bit mad that they don't have some means of paying the amount owed in cash - not buying a gift card for 4 times the amount. And it sounded like they forgot to tell the gift card sellers that they were part of the system!

Anyway, the few times I was there in the past couple of months, it was a nightmare of traffic cones, traffic jams, and roadworks. Sounds like it hasn't improved much. And with the weather disimproving by the day, and Christmas coming I reckon you'll need to bring a picnic and a sleeping bag with you just in case.

I was one of the ones who used to drop in from time to time when I was out that direction, or passing on the N4 - I'll be getting on the luas to M&S in town from now on - Liffey Valley's loss.

There’s no way to pay cash. They’ve advertised that. The 00.01% can buy the gift card and use it for their next four trips if they wish.

If they don’t want to go to Liffey valley ever again, they can use the gift card in loads of places as it’s just a money card

Sure it’s a pisser for them but lesson learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No it is Mad as if I park in the Airport Stephens Green Dundrum Pavilions Jervis Ilac The Square I have the option to pay cash. It should be the same here. The owners just don't want the cost of putting in machines that take cash to validate the tickets

And you can’t in Liffey Valley. It’s not a big deal at all.

Vote with your feet if it’s an issue. As you said, there’s plenty of places who will accept coin (for a while anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Worked very well, on entry to cinema once you said you were driving you were given a little card with a QR code to scan at one of the pay stations after. I was 2hrs 45mins roughly in total so under the 3hr mark for €2.50 so not sure if it would cover a longer duration if you were to get food, shopping etc before hand. Hassle free and would encourage repeat custom but it looks like Vue is covering this cost rather than any concession from the owners so whether that's viable long term remains to be seen.

Well, I said it would have to happen, sooner or later.

I was just up at Citywest Shopping Centre and the clampers are out in force today. I saw at least a dozen vehicles (cars and work vans) in just one row alone, all clamped and a lot of guys in Hi-Vis and hard hats looking very annoyed. Two APOCA clamper vans and a guy who looked like he was from from Centre management with a walkie talkie, in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. It's very obvious that the carpark there is being used by a lot of lads working on local sites, that upper carpark always seems busy during the day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Why were they clamped?

Parked dangerously or staying over the time limit?

Over time limit. Its 3 hours, max stay. This was around 1pm, so they probably parked up early this morning,

I'm just back from my first trip into Liffey Valley in well over a year and I have to say I found the parking system quite easy and straightforward and not a problem. If there's any hassle or queues at Christmas it will probably be down to people trying to pay at the barrier instead of paying at the machines before leaving the centre. Overall, the car park was business as usual, very busy. Disability spots all full!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I registered for an online account, so I assume I just drive in and drive out and it will charge my credit card automatically?

How does it work with the cinema and the free parking though? Will it not scan my reg and charge anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@[Deleted User] did you go down to the M&S maze? Been there twice since it was changed and both times I could see loads of spaces but not figure out how to get to them...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No I didn't - I went into the TKMaxx / Penneys side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

My better half was there on a weekday recently. Massive queues for payment machines with queue moving very slow. People did not know their car reg and needed to return to car to check it. Putting in full reg of car took a lot of time versus shoving a ticket in.

She was unaware of pay at the barrier and there was no signs in the queue for the machines that pay at the barrier was an option. This would reduce queues at machines. I can imagine at xmas with loads of out of town visitors the queues at the machines will be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The machines by penny's had a sign last week saying u can pay on your way out

• Registered Users Posts: 26 whee5

That’s an absolute disgrace.

Maybe it’s time to get some fake Ukrainian plates. The Gardaí and traffic wardens won’t know the difference, nor would that have a dossier of “real” plates.

What difference does it make if the parking you pay for is open air or not?

A good chunk of the pavilions car park is open air… as are Iarnród Éireann car parks which are run by NCPS.

• Advertisement

What’s wrong with reverse parking? It’s safer for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Was up there this week, payment for parking was easy and the center was busy. I was expecting a ghost town after the prediction of doom from a lot on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not that again. Thousands of lives are lost worldwide because of reverse parking, simply because it takes longer 😂 Angled parking like they had before takes up more space, but is by far the quickest method. Obviously they got rid of this superior system so they can have a few dozen more spaces so they can squeeze a few more quid out of the paid parking

If you can’t reverse park a little tykes car then maybe stick to the rothar or the bus.

It's not that people can't reverse park, it just simply takes longer than driving directly into an angled parking space. So it costs time (thus lives and money) to reverse park. This is not an opinion, it is fact.

What if a child walks behind a saloon car at booth level when reversing out? There’s less chance of it happening when reversing in.

Why do many workplaces insist on reverse parking?

How will this be enforced btw? Are the spaces designed in such a way as to force people to reverse or will there be clampers enforcing it?

To be honest, I genuinely did not notice any difference in the sizes of the parking spaces - and I was in a regular spot.

Even if the sizes of the spaces are the same, you can fit fewer spaces in total if you have angled parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's just part of the "enhanced customer experience"

• Advertisement

Was there myself last night - Thursday night shops open late - from around 17:30 until 19:30. Parked across the road at the retail park, which would normally have been near empty at that day / time, but was nearly full. Steady stream of people walking between there and Liffey Valley. From the car I saw the middle car park in LV was was no more than a quarter full (would have been near full before charges) and the cinema car park which was more than half full (would have been choc a bloc before charges)

Advertisement