Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Blanchardstown is the only big centre with free parking now, is that correct? However as mentioned previously unless you are familiar with the back road up Knockmaroon Hill or through Lucan then the M50 toll each way negates that if you are approaching from the South West or North Kildare for example.

I don't think the bus option is going to work. Although I know there is a big bus hub going in at LV, I am very surprised that there has been absolutely NO publicity in the centre for this (parking a priority maybe!). I would have thought that the centre operators or TFI or Dublin Bus or all three would have some sort of a map/plan at strategic points to inform shoppers of the whoopie doo new bus connections for your comfort. Actually the lack of any information at all up there regarding the redevelopment is nothing short of shameful. However I reckon they are not going to advertise paid parking too soon!

I was trying to help someone a couple of weeks ago who was looking for the main bus stop. I walked her to it. It had moved to the other side of the road, and no information other than "stop cancelled". Nothing to tell users where to go, how long it would be temporary for, or any publicity for the bus hub. Weird I thought. And another gripe, the lady had to go to the lights and cross over the road, whereas before she didn't. Now what genius thought it would be better for shoppers to have to drag shopping up the road, cross the road, and down the other side carrying bags etc. Why not put the stop on the shopping centre side and set down on the other? No explanations, but I figured it was roadworks.

Anyway I park up in the Purple (or what used to be) car park at M+S every time. Never bother with any other spot, it's false economy driving around up and down the lanes looking for that elusive spot right outside VUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Also will this not just push customers to park in Tesco, B&Q, KFC / Starbucks or the Retail park and walk to the centre or will they also introduce paid parking in these car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well if you know you're buying bulky stuff or heavy stuff it's nice to get parking close to the door. So if you've made the effort to get there early and find all the parking spaces close to the door have already been taken by staff it can be irritating.

Plus if it's p1ssing down and you've to make multiple trips to the car to drop bags off it can be irritating.

A previous poster made a good point that they don't mind paying for dundrum as it's indoors and they don't even have to put a jkt on.

Personally I usually park away from the door and hope my car doesn't make friends when I'm in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jo187

I know four big tesco that parking is free. So assume when it comes to big tesco the parking is free. It's mad while retailers are struggling and cost of living crisis they bring in these charges

• Registered Users Posts: 19,171 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here.

I imagine that parking is provided by the owners of the centre in order to make the place more attractive to businesses because it will attract more customers. The more attractive it is, the higher rents they can charge. If the centre doesn't provide parking, then customers decrease. The rent that the owners can charge decreases, but also does the economics for the shop owner and they might need to up their prices to survive with the lower footfall. Similar to how a reasonably sized store in the centre of a town will probably be more expensive than the massive Tesco on the outskirts.

• Advertisement

Well it isn't exactly a free market either is it? The developers of the centre were given permission by the State/authorities to develop what could have been easily zoned as a greenbelted tract of land rather than what it became. That is was such a lucrative gift was the reason for all the bribes and corruption which led to it.

"Private businesses" providing a service (as you put it) are there as a gift of the public and have some responsibility towards the same public.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure, so it’s built into the rents, and the outlets have to build the charge into the prices charged on goods and services for all customers, including those who don’t drive

Yes. It is built into what they have to charge. Both the negative and positive aspects of it. The positive aspects of it (greater economies of scale) might well indeed outweigh the negative aspects of having to maintain the carpark. Which would have been part of the development plan.

But they don't do differential pricing based on what they have to do to attract certain customers in. They don't charge one person 50 cent for an apple and another person 55 cent for an apple because the latter is in a demographic that watches the Late Late Show and the store ran an ad last Friday night during it which cost them a lot of money.

Either way, I reckon non-drivers will be exposed to higher prices as a result of this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Yes, exactly. Staff are lazy effers who won't walk 100m and use spaces further away.

Shoppers are similar - just read this thread.

An average "shoppers" space is turned over about 5 times a day in a shopping center. On a main street it increases to 9.

So each space taken by an all day parker could be used by 5-9 shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

There are practically no disabled bays free at the main entrance at any time of any day. And as a previous poster mentioned, the main car park is full from very early. No spaces.

• Advertisement

They could just ban cars altogether and the footfall in the centre would severely decrease causing businesses to leave and jobs lost.

But at least those that don't drive wouldn't have to pay and they could enjoy a nice quiet centre for the short time it would last.

Has anyone been there lately?

The last time I was there was probably end of July/beginning of August and it was a disaster.

What is the parking like now? I presume it's still free?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had the misfortune of having to go to LV yesterday. Parking is still free but the infrastructure looks to be complete (although I didnt look for or see any machines to pay)

Grand, the last time I was there I didn't know there was an upgrade going on.

So arriving to traffic cone roundabouts, limited parking spaces and just general headless chicken vibe was definitely not the zen, escape from the kids for an hour experience I was hoping for.

I just want to hit Penneys and LV is handiest along the route I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was only there last week and it's still sn absolute disaster with all the roads dug up

I was only there last week and it was still a disaster with all the roads dug up, one way systems and nighmare queues.

It is far from finished.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I parked in the purple car park (M&S end) having driven past B&Q so hadn't passed the ongoing roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Same here. Opticians will need to stick to their appointment schedule as people won't be happy !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

I always park in purple car park but unfortunately I'm coming from N4 so can't avoid the roadworks.

They are an absolutely nightmare queue starts all the way up at Fonthill roundabout.

I don't know what they spent summer doing because they have progressed very little since June/ July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Really think they should have at least a 15-min grace period for people collecting from the restaurants there. Can’t imagine Eddie Rockets or Five Guys being happy with this for delivery drivers or people collecting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They will, but the delivery charge will go up by the amount the parking costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't understand why you can't validate your parking if you spend a certain amount in shops. Oh yeah, I do, it's because the whole "no parking due to people leaving their cars there all day" is bullshít and they just decided it's a handy cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just eat etc have pretty strict rules for this. No one is spending €6 on delivery (normal fee + new fee)

I wouldn’t rule out some sort of grace period though

Won't be ordering anything from in there so!!!!!!

Alot of places charging 5 euro for delivery on Just eat these days!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I live beside literally at Liffey valley so have the experience on a daily basis.

They've widened the roads in some areas, but aren't adding an extra lane.

They've dug up large areas of grassland and trees to not actually add anything more than a cycle lane.

The new parking spaces are a disaster. Reverse, turn, forward, reverse. Everything will be slowed down.

The car park spaces are slightly narrower by about 2 inches, and the gaps in front are shorter, so far more difficult to get in an out of.

The traffic management is pretty terrible. The traffic for me to get out of where I live, can take 5-10 minutes to travel less than 100m. Thankfully people seem to be happy to let residents out!

Where they are positioning the entrances is going to be a nightmare. 2 lanes merging into 1 as you come into the carpark. So if it's busy, it'll be who ever blinks first (like the 3 lanes into 1 in Dundrum).

They've also made it quite a narrow entrance entering the car park from the retail park side. So if you're in a van, I see it causing issues turning into where the barriers will be.

It looks like pedestrian access has become far more dangerous and unnecessarily complicated with having to cross the road now, which will add more traffic at those lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sounds like a disaster @antodeco - thanks for sharing

"The car park spaces are slightly narrower by about 2 inches"

Seriously? Car park spaces in general are already far too small. Standard spaces are based on the tiny size of cars we had in the 60s and 70s. I run a large car, which is almost 5m long and 2m wide. It takes care to get in and out of the car without the doors touching the next car. Looks like I will be avoiding that place altogether (apart from giving my eldest a lift to work and a drop off in the staff car park area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Presumably you'd be happy to pay additional fees for the additional space that your barge requires?

Advertisement