Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,687 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can see a lot of people avoiding the place because of the parking fees. I most certainly will. It's one thing to have an underground parking garage in a very large mall with a lot of high end shops and charge for that (Dundrum), but for open air parking - just no.

And insane they are moving away from the angled parking. That was the one thing that was good about the place.

For the people that still go there, I reckon it will be nice and quiet compared to what it was like before. Talk about killing demand / jobs. They've gone the right way about it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I live fairly close by, and tend to 'pop in' for half an hour if there's a few things I need, or to grab a coffee from Butlers. Zero value in those parking charges for a quick visit so will definitely be avoiding. Adds to the cost of a cinema trip too.

Terrible idea. And pathetic that they are trying to claim the motive is to have a positive environmental impact, total nonsense.

Interesting to see how Tesco, B&Q, and the retail park will react. They'll be overrun with people trying to park in their car parks and walk over to LV...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Free parking isn't free. Someone needs to pay for the space provided and the management of the facility. The question is whether the drivers who use the space pay, or ALL customers share the costs of parking, including those who travel by bus or bike or walk, especially those who can't afford a car. Why should parking costs be shared by non-parkers?

Probably it will be like other centres - first two hours free, no charge if validated etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've heard that it's €2.50 for the first hour, and free for the next two.

Quite clever if that's the case. Encourage people to spend more time (and money) there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, it's the other way around; €2.50 for the first hour and then the next two free:

it's an interesting, and slightly canny, pricing structure. compare it to how (IIRC) the pavilions in swords operates. there, the first hour is free, and then they start charging; which is a common enough system. so if (as i've done myself) you're wandering around the place, and then realise 'if i stay another 10 minutes, i'll be charged' you then leave.

charging for the first hour and then the next two are free (or, if you want to look at it this way, it's €2.50 for the first three hours) means you're not going to have the same impetus on people to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's literally there in the article - €2.50 for the first hour, subsequent two hours free, €2.50 an hour thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Same pricing structure as Dundrum. Liffey Valley was the last to be free. The square offers free or reduced parking for cinema goers and Liffey valley may do similar

I’m not against pay parking but find it hilarious they try and dress it up as anything other than revenue making

Also feel for staff who will now have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

any measures to keep the riff raff out whilst i browse the haberdasheries is to be welcomed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wrong - pavilions in swords appears to have the first two hours for free, not the first hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure most people will be bothered walking over tbh. I notice during busy times, people will spend forever circling around looking for a spot rather than parking in the near-empty retail park and walking over.

Bullcrap!

Currently the cost of the free parking is an overhead that is borne not "those who travel by bus, bike or walk" or who "can't afford a car" but by the businesses who rent units in the Centre. So given that they will no longer have to subsidise free parking is their rent going to be reduced? I think not!

Mind you, given the likely deterrent effect of parking charges, the centre's footfall may well decrease which is unlikely to please the businesses renting units there very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Blanch is still free?

Well that's that fucked then. You can nearly guarantee a lot of the business's there will feel the pressure of this. Especially the cinema in my view.

It's pure gouging and hitting the hard earned punter up for more. You'll pay a minimum of €2.50 whether you are there for 10mins or 1 hour. That's despicable.

Everything will be online for me going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I'm the same as you Senature. I'd often pop in to M&S Food Hall or pick up a takeaway from Eddie Rockets or Milano's but certainly won't be doing that anymore. I think it will be a disaster for the centre.

there's approx 10Ha/25ac of surface car park at liffey valley (if google maps is to be trusted)

that's a valuable chunk of land that's generating no direct revenue, and i suspect the accountants there were quite cognisant of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why should people without children pay tax to fund education?

Why should people who are healthy be forced to cover the cost of treating the sick?

Why should people who already have a house subsidise social housing?

Tiresome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

LOL free parking.

I'm sure the retail outlets pay a nice fee toward the parking and I'm sure this is passed onto the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Those are all things that are needed in a society.

Free parking in Liffey Vally isn’t needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Square has 2 hours free 1st too. Its been years since in Blanch but no pay parking there i think?

i have a memory of being in at least one car park where the parking was free if you'd spent above a certain amount there. i can't remember where that was though, so that's a useless anecdote i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s like saying they should charge people for using the toilets, they have to be cleaned and maintained, why should it fall on people who don’t use toilet operating costs be shared ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Blanch is still free parking afaik. Carrickmines is free for the first two hours.

It's common for Tesco car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,687 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dundrum. If you spend €30 in Tesco. They used to pay your parking ticket, but don't do that any more. It still works though, Tesco now just give you €3 off if you spend over €30 in there (but not on certain items)

So it's paid by the businesses, who in turn,pass on the costs to their customers- ALL customers. Do you think the businesses are charities or something?

Liffey Valley aren't the government. Shopping in M&S and watching a movie is not an essential public service.

Tiresome indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

At least be transparent here dude, you couldnt give a crap about the financial welfare of business, your angle here is that of someone who would remove all cars from the road tomorrow if you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Amazon doesn't charge for parking!

Only poor business persons raise prices during tough times.

Jaysus, what would I do with my car if that happened? I'm not quite at 'ban cars' level, but it is fascinating to see the level of entitled outrage at the suggestion that drivers should pay for their own storage space for their own private property.

You're right, in that I'm not particularly concerned for those businesses at all. I am particularly concerned for our planet, which is being destroyed every day by car-centric policies that encourage and prioritise private car use over sustainable travel options. Having to pay for your own storage space is one small nudge away from subsidising motorists and letting them pay the true costs of motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Do staff have to pay? Is there not even a discount or something?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have any particular difficulty with that, assuming the costs would be proportional, something like 1/8 or 1/10 of the costs of car parking, given the relative space requirements. That would probably put the costs in the realm of 'not worth collecting', but there you go.

For the big picture, have a look at what's happening around the world in cities like Barcelona and Paris, with serious encouragement and incentives for active travel

Advertisement