Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I saw Liffey Valley trending on twitter and it was all about the staff parking charges. Seems to be protests with support from Gino Kenny a local TD. Hopefully they get rid of the staff fees

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

No one should be charged additional money to do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

There certainly was an issue with analytic converters being thieved from cars. It was even on Liveline.

Speaking as an infrequent shopper to LV:

I think the powers that be scored an OG here. The treatment of employees who drive there is wrong imho. Yes there is an allocated spot for staff parking( I saw a flashing sign informing this ), but I read elsewhere that it is not fit for purpose.

As someone wrote above, it’s one thing paying for undercover parking, but to have to pay for open air is a no no for me.

Be interesting to see the footfall after the sales in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would not surprise me one bit if the January sales become closing down sales for quite a few places.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have to fly in to M and S to chance a size I bought . Its now going to cost me €2.50 to exchange an item .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in yesterday around midday for about an hour it was definitely a bit quieter than normal going by cars parked and footfall around the place.

Lot of the pay machines not working so had to pay when leaving. They had a little area with sofas etc to explain the parking...lol...I would say it is a PR nightmare.

I suppose 2.50 for 3 hours parking is ok...but if you just want to nip to m&s or return something to a shop it is a lot....

Unsurprisingly Tesco car park looked very busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Something to bear in mind from now on when deciding where to purchase...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Definitely.

I'd rather pay €1 to visit Penneys @ the Square, rather than €2.50 to visit Penney's @ Liffey Valley.

• Advertisement

I was talking to a friend today who was in LV earlier today. He remarked how few cars were in the car park.

I wonder has the proverbial already hit the fan?

I drove past around lunchtime as I was curious. I wasn't planning on going in, but if i was, I wouldn't have bothered. It's still a big mess, with cones everywhere. They need to get it sorted and done before Christmas or its going to be an even worse nightmare than usual.

Car park didn't look busy, but didn't look emptier than usual for a Wednesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would say a lot of the tenants won't exactly be thrilled if footfall is down will really hit their profits...the Marks and Spencer end was already quiet tbh (though Zara has helped)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was a regular at Liffey Valley, went every week or at least fortnightly.

However I haven't been since the summer, due to shambolic roadworks.

When I was stuck for extra 40mins one day with baby crying in car I said feck this I'm never doing this again.

I don't even mind the charges that much, although very wrong on staff, but what I do hate is hassle.

That fact you have choice of paying at barrier is the stupidest thing they have ever done. Imagine the ejects you will be stuck behind as they try to figure out how to pay?

Going on about their brilliant new system, what a load of crap. Even the National Botanical Gardens got rid of their pay at gate option as disaster for queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Went to LV today and parked in the retail park. Quite a lot of cars there compared to usual.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can use coins at the machine in the Square, Liffey Valley is cashless only.

i heard on the radio during the week adverts for Halloween events in LV.

I could be wrong but I don’t recall them ever doing this before. Are there already panic stations?

are there no barriers in the retail parks ? Good news if there are not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That’s some reach. Laughable really

Anyway, Mrs Dodge was there last night and reckoned it was slightly busier than normal.

• Advertisement

No, they always had halloween events.

The entrance at the roundabout at McDonalds / Retail Park is now for staff only. Guy there today directing traffic with a big sign.

So are no other cars allowed in there ? Currys and Argos and The Range etc

You can access the retail park from there, but the car park on the other side of the roundabout, next to Eddie Rocket's, is for LV staff.

Sorry, no I meant the roundabout that leads into the back of Liffey valley! There is no restriction on parking at The Range, etc.

I think the weather will have a huge bearing on the footfall walking over. But if the Retail Park gets full on a continuous basis, I’m sure it won’t be long until barriers are erected.

Personally? I’ll just avoid LV from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Pure greed by the owners surprised Anchor stores like Dunnes Penny's & M&S didn't protest more. How much did they waste on these works? It's a joke trying to drive around the centre.

I can see Citywest having to act sooner rather than later and put in some parking controls.

It's becoming impossible to get a parking space above ground during the day. Went up around 10am Friday morning to use the banklink and visit the pharmacy and had to circle the carpark 3 times before getting a space, and this is not the first time, recently. I'd say easily 60% of the available spaces were taken up by work vehicles, so maybe workers on the various sites surrounding the centre? I got a disability space eventually (have a badge) but someone double parked behind me, with blinkers on.

There is now often a queue to get into the centre itself, with the McDonalds drive-thru queue so long it causes a physical obstruction to cars trying to enter the above ground carpark that tails right back to the roundabout. I've seen some dangerous driving there, were frustrated drivers trying to get around it. (not an excuse).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭rodge123

The spokesman added that there had been “and continues to be extensive communication regarding these changes with all our stakeholders including with our retailers. It is largely understood and accepted that the delivery of an enhanced customer experience will ultimately benefit the retail businesses at Liffey Valley and their staff.  The changes are already resulting in a much-improved parking experience for all, and we believe has already reduced the number of commuters and frequent parkers who neither visited nor worked at the centre.”

Have you ever read such complete and utter garbage in your entire life! Taking people for complete idiots with that PR tripe.

Just be honest and say we wanted to maximise the return on prime real estate land for our multi billion Euro investment fund!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Has anyone been to the cinema this week and had their parking validated and how did that work?

According to the Q&A section:

22. Will I be charged for parking when visiting the cinema?

Vue Cinema customers will be entitled to have their parking validated once a valid cinema ticket has been scanned. Please speak to Vue staff for further details.

Have tickets booked for tomorrow evening for The Banshees of Inisherin but they're electronic tickets with a QR code. Great value in Vue with tickets from €6, Blanch is my nearest cinema but tickets there are a whopping €15.50 so haven't darkened their door in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely hilarious, would that be the enhanced months on end of increased queues to get into centre due to roadworks?

Or would it be the enhanced experience in M&S carpark that worked perfectly before but now they have gone and messed it up and people no longer know how to drive or park in it?

If its such an enhanced experience why gave they lost a regular customer like me?

Advertisement