Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sorry BIK was wrong .....is there not an annual levy employers are supposed to pay when car parking is provided?

Now I appreciate that the employers aren't providing the parking but it just goes back to the point that parking at your workplace is a privilege.

So complaining you can no longer drive to work that's served by public transport won't /shouldn't gather much sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Pretty harsh on staff who are very much on the lower scale of wages and who may not have taken the job if they can’t drive to it. Liffey Valley is awkward to get to from a fair bit of the (somewhat) local area. It might be a 10-15 minute drive but it could be two bus rides and an hour away.

Again, this move has nothing to do with public transport and everything to do with increasing revenue for the centre owners

Public transport isn't always the easy answer or convenient. It really depends on where you're coming from and where you're going to. If I were to use public transport to get from my home to my Head Office in Dublin City Centre, it would take over 2 hours and a couple of changes each way to get there. Not really doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

But the difference is that it was provided for free since it opened. It’s the equivalent of taking a pay cut to now remove a benefit they have had for years.

Put it another way, how would you feel if your employer decided to stop paying for your private health insurance which a lot of companies do, if it’s something you really want / value then you’ll have to suddenly start paying for it yourself. It’s basically a pay cut in all but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I live near the square. This will stop me popping into Costa for a coffee - sit down or takeaway. If I want to go to the shops, I will go to citywest. The first hour or two free would be appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Even harsher on the staff who could never afford a car in the first place that their employer overheads are going towards providing a benefit that only better off staff can afford to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's an extremely low value exchange for them, if you're just buying a coffee; they want people to spend more than 3 quid on a visit.

Better off retail staff? You’ve lost the plot here. Not for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

My sugar free hazelnut latte and chicken and bacon wrap cost about a tenner.

I started my career in retail and I absolutely loved it so this is not coming from a judgemental place.

There are very few people that commute long distances to work in retail. A lot of managers will specifically hire local as if they need a person in on short notice who isn't rostered to work that day it makes much more sense to have a local pool of staff minutes away.

Unless there's a niche retail unit I'm not aware of in the complex every single store in Liffey valley has another store or multiple stores elsewhere. If the commute is now going to be too long people could request a transfer to another store. It's not like it's a pharma company for example where the next nearest premises is Cork or Galway.

My company announced it was moving premises, business decision, not much you can do ....what did the staff do that the commute was now going to be too long? Sent out cv's and chose somewhere that suited them. Yeah it's sh1t having to leave and start fresh elsewhere especially when not entirely your decision but such is life.

• Advertisement

Same, I used to pop to the post office on that level, and Costa and the BOI ATM. I won't anymore if I'm going to be charged a euro every time.

But I doubt Citywest will be far behind. I noticed before that they've had the machines and barriers installed for a long time, but just don't use them. With all the new apartments going up rapidly and the pressure on local parking in estates, (not enough parking allowed for) plus the Luas line, I'd say its only a matter of time before Citywest has to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you’ve a fifty year old Dunnes worker coming towards the end of their €800 per month mortgage working alongside their thirty year old colleague paying €2500 per month rent, which do you think is more likely to be able to benefit from the free parking perk?

Also, supervisors and managers will be earning more than their front line colleagues.

I doubt free parking was an advertised perk though. More a happy little accident.

Guaranteed if Penneys advertised free parking for staff in it's Liffey valleys unit you'd have Mary street and O'Connell street out on strike wanting similar conditions.

Companies make business decisions all the time sometimes these decisions don't go down well with staff. Staff have the option to strike if it's something major or leave if they can get what they want elsewhere.

To be fair when I worked in retail the salary bands were very clear , some places even had then on canteen noticeboard.

Year 1 was minimum wage

Year 2 an increase

Year 5 an increase ....it's been a minute so can't remember if there were increases for years 3&4.

Think another increase in Year 10

Long serving staff were on a good wage....if they were working full hours some were probably making more than the managers , who were salaried, on an hour to hour basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I can see the 'value' in paying for parking in Dundrum. For €3 I can walk to the car without getting wet in bad weather. I don't need to wear a coat in winter as I won't be outside at all. Additionally there are loads of wheechair spaces (my father uses a wheechair) and a good few EV chargers so I can charge the car while I'm there.

I don't see the value in paying €2.50 for an outdoor space at LV though. Walk up to 500m in the rain and back again. Wheelchair spaces always taken up by people too lazy to walk from a regular space.

I would often pop in for a Butler's when I'm passing, but the extra €2.50 makes that a pretty expensive coffee, so won't be doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I visit liffey valley every couple of weeks and there is no way in hell the car parks were full at 10am

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hopefully the first 15 minutes are free. I pop over a fair bit to pick up food for collection and it's literally in and out in about 10 minutes. If I've to pay for that, those restaurants will be losing that avenue of business from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Boycott.They cause traffic jams out onto the N4 so they can squeeze a few more euro out of customers .A few weeks half empty might help them see sense .

People won’t boycott because it’s not that big a deal. You can choose to avoid if you want but the vast majority of people won’t change a thing (despite the protests of some in here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They aren't. They have already said what costs for people are going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Iguarantee

Good and state of the art are not necessarily the same thing.

I don't believe there's a state of the art underground transport system in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Care to share your calculations to back that up please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True, not necessarily. But some are, the Copenhagen one is even driverless, well the line I used for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Liffey Valley car parks are not all full.

Yes the one at Cinema/Penneys is but I have always parked down at Next or M&S one and the amount of free spaces is unreal.

I used to go to LV once a week but have stopped due to roadworks as they have made a complete dogs ear of the place.

The M&S car park is now a disaster, people don't know how to drive in it and the amount of people blocking car park now is unreal.

And now they want to bring in paid parking in current climate when people are going to stop spending money on extras like clothes etc.

The management are fools, the shops need to protest or they will have no customers left.

People will just pay the cost. It's an awkward place to get to even from Clondalkin let alone other parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

They are never even full at anytime during the day, a lot of people making stuff up on here to justify their own personal perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The prime spaces close to the doors of every entrance are occupied before 10am.

Most stores don't open until 10am. Staff abused the car parking.

It was always going to have paid parking. It was mooted in 2002.

Staff parking will probably be about €50 a month with a certain number of staff spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

What has prime spaces got to do with anything? Except to say I’m a lazy fcuker and can’t be bothered unless I can park 10 feet from an entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

I think I read staff spaces will be €4 per day.

Advertisement