Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

This thread is hilarious. Remove coffee from the equation as that seems to be a weirdly contentious point for some. Would you say they can't have a shower before work because it's at 5am?

I don’t think the OP deserves the venom some posters are spewing at them. They’ve tried pre grinding and will be trying a mat and towel in the morning. Cut them some slack.

But……. But, this thread is great craic 😂

I think some posters are getting hot and bothered about all the grinding going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You referenced, and agree with a poster who called me a prick, Yet I'm the one being churlish...Ok then.

What do you consider a compromise in this? Considering going to the effort of getting a rubber mat to place under it, and a towel over it isn't a compromise.

Despite what you may think, telling me to move house isn't actually that helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Also, think its funny how the advise to the OP has been "you wouldnt want to fall out with your neighbour over a cup of coffee" when the next door neighbour has had no problem whatsoever in falling out with the OP it.

You are going over and above with the mat/towel. If you are happy with that set up, you are doing more than enough for the next door neighbour.

• Advertisement

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭acequion

Hey listen,it's your problem,not mine,not other people's. Fair enough you can't move but my point being that only in a detached property with a decent space between neighbours or in a very well insulated larger semi detached can you have the freedom to do what you like. You don't have that freedom, accept it! What to do? If you can't get the machine to work quieter, if you can't find a quieter place to do it, if grinding the beans the night before is not an option then drink something else! If you continue as is things will only get worse with your neighbour, but like I say, your problem.

Did that poster actually call you a prick? Did they use that word? I don't recall seeing that, I just recall the poster telling you that you're being selfish and to cop on. Which they are entitled to do as you posted on a public forum asking for opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

So you don't consider my actions to date a compromise?

And is it my problem? Or my neighbors?

Apologies, I got my posters mixed up.

Edit: @Morgans beat me to it.

OP, just out of curiosity you say you only got the coffee grinder recently.

What did you do for your morning coffee fix before you got it?

• Advertisement

Instant coffee mostly,or in some very busy periods, caffeine tabs.

Wtf is a caffeine tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If the neighbour is genuine and is being woken by a coffee grinder at 5am every morning, I'd consider it unacceptable.

If you have tried to mitigate the noise as much as possible, then that is acceptable.

He shouldn't dictate what you do but you also shouldn't be waking him maybe 2 hours before he is due to get up.

Just consider how you would feel being constantly woken up at 3am by a neighbour making noise as part of their daily routine. It wouldn't be long before you got pissed off.

A compromise of sorts should be struck, mitigate the noise as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm in the camp of try something like a rubber mat or a towel but that's it. If the microwave door is bothering the neighbour then he or the building likely have major issues, most likely both, and he might have to learn to deal with 12 seconds of a kitchen appliance in another house.

Realistically though I think we will only solve this if we get the neighbour, the builder, and a mod from the coffee forum on this thread. The vote just seems too close.

Exactly what it says on the tin, each tablet is the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee, horrible yokes, not ideal but needs must.

I just googled it myself and happened upon a recipe for coffee eggs. You’d get protein and caffeine in one shot. But, it involves using a food processor. I’ve got a feeling the decibels on that may be a smidgen higher 😂

Tis a great thread alright..

A plus one from me.. keep her choppin with da grindin' OP 😃

Let us know more tomorrow if ya can...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭reclose

The OP doesn’t come across well to be fair. I think that’s why people have an issue.

5am is very early to wake someone up at. I’d be very annoyed and frustrated if I found myself in that situation. to be honest I probably would have reacted alot worse than your neighbour did

i have no idea how loud these machines are so have no way of offering constructive advice but some sort of compromise might be the best solution

Would it be possible to hear how loud it is from his house?

Regarding the microwave comment, he’s either getting petty from tiredness and frustration or else there’s paper thin walls between you. I’d say it’s just to exaggerate the point about the coffee though

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Moral of the thread: pay for a sound test before buying a house/apartment. Most likely the biggest purchase of your life, what's another couple of hundred euro in the grand scheme of not being able to sleep/grind coffee at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

Grind the night before and into an air tight container ready to go for the morning. No excessive early hours noise, job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Surely the first port of call for the neighbour is a shop that sells ear plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

A sound test requires access to the neighbours property. The chances of a vendor agreeing to asking their neighbour to facilitate a sound test for anyone interested in buying is extremely unlikely.

I would guess you havent bought a house in the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Neighbour sounds like a tool. Grinding coffee for your espresso or flat white takes about 15-30 seconds. I’d tell him to jog on. If they’re waking you up screaming at each other at 3am why would you put yourself out for him, you’re already trying to be as quiet as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You're making a racket (how many people commenting here understand how loud these things are?) and waking your neighbour, deliberately, at 5am.

These are the facts

Coffee machines with built-in grinders aren’t commercial machines, so I suspect OPs isn’t either. Do you lads write to the bin collectors to complain about being woken up for about a minute early in the morning as well?

I wouldnt like to see a lot of posters here on a jury! The OP has been painted as a monster.

Well we know which option you’re going for in this thread anyway 🙄

You could come on to boards acting the hard man telling people you’d cut their electricity when in reality you wouldn’t say boo 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

He has told you what you are doing (I sympathise, it's your house) is waking him up. You know your machine will wake him yet you continue to use it. It is not a necessity as you have said yourself.

You are waking him up deliberately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The same noise Evey day at an early hour drives me mental. I'd a neighbour before in an apartment who plugged something into a wall socket in their bedroom every morning at about 6am. You know that sound of a plug hitting the plastic on the socket repeatedly as the person tries, blind, to get it in.

My head was asleep on the other side of the wall and it always without fail woke me up.

Almost passively aggressively bought them an extension lead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement