Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

Someone tested the decibels. They’re all at least 85 decibels with peaks between 90-100db. For reference, a motorbike ticking over is 95db

This is true. I had an issue with my neighbour playing music, she couldn't understand what I was complaining about as she said she was keeping the volume low.

Then she came in and listened to it from my side, and admitted she couldn't believe how loud it was coming through the walls. I wouldn't rule out the neighbour's complaint because noise can carry strangely.

Freshly ground coffee can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container, there shouldn't be any need to grind fresh every morning. I would have some sympathy for the neighbour here, if its waking them up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phone app decibel meters are worthless; uncalibrated and basically make the figures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

And then listermints calls around and turns off off your electricity .

If you chose to live in a semi D, terrace or apartment you know well what could happen with regards to noise.

Personally I'd never buy one , cant stand the thoughts of living under the same roof as "strangers".

Someone banging 300mm away from your head , no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm a light sleeper and hate noise from adjoining properties, but if making a cup of coffee is causing that much of an issue then it's 100% the property at fault. Just because someone starts their day early I would not expect them to alter such benign behaviour as making coffee to suit me, suggesting you buy your coffee at a petrol station instead is completely ridiculous and I'd be embarrassed to even bring that up myself.

I would be reasonable in moving the coffee machine to another part of the kitchen if that helps but that's about it. It's not like you're waking up and blasting Metallica through the walls here. You are always at the mercy of your neighbours with badly built semi d's in Ireland, you could do far far worse than someone making a cup of coffee at 5am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Banging as in riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

I’d be giving my neighbours a roll of duct tape for Christmas if they were screamers.

Then let him go shite.

or alternatively you could tell them you’re happy to let go of the grinder, but you want €10 a week for buying takeaway coffees instead & id also insist they bought my espresso machine from me.

when they point out unreasonable that is you can then laugh in irony.

I’d say it’s loud though. At 5am there’s probably no street or household noise to buffer it so it’s probably akin to your alarm going off and waking you up.

Once the neighbour’s awake but his own house is silent, I’d say he’s probably just lying there and does hear the microwave too. If there was no grinder to wake him, he more than likely wouldn’t hear the microwave.

Try putting a heavy towel around it and ask him did he hear it.

• Advertisement

You know well what could happen with regards to noise..

Not at 5am.

Just because someone lives in an apartment, terraced or semi-d does not mean its okay to be inconsiderate of your neighbours because "they should expect it". This is an avoidable noise.

If it was 7am, fair enough.

No noise is acceptable at 5am

If the sound from a coffee machine travels to that extent the shared space needs soundproofing anyway.

Both are true, OP isnt in any way at fault and the neighbour isnt necessarily being unfair

I lived two years in a tiger-build apartment where our bedroom was adjoined to the neighbours kitchen and en suite and that fcuker done his dishes at 2am and showered at 4am because he was on yemeni time

The fella upstairs put his washing machine on at 5am as he left for work

Those are examples of dickish behaviour when its known that soundproofing is an issue but the underlying issue was the build quality and layout of the apartments tbh, you have to work with ppl to agree either behaviour or construction solutions without getting personal imo

If it was 7am, fair enough.

Is that cos you're up at 7? 😉

Thought it was 8.00am when 'loud'/'excessive' noise became acceptable , or maybe even 9.00am, as is the rule in some apartment blocks and the likes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes indeed. Good point. It's unhealthy to feel self-conscious or in any way inhibited when it comes to performing our toilettes certainly not in regard to noises which may occur during the course of such activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I wouldn't be concerned about noise only having to scrub the bowl!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You could try attaching rockwool to the wall on your side - the entire area, both upstairs and downstairs - and then covering that with plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I'd kindly tell your neighbour to urinate off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Not sure if this is a genuine suggestion, and if it is, how would you propose slabbing up to rock wool?

No, I said 7am because that is around the time most people are starting to wake up to get ready for work / get their kids up for school, or whatever.

Personally, I roll out of bed at around 9am and am at my "desk" by 9:15am. I love working from home :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think it depends on the context somewhat though. Lived in an apartment where all water pumps were audible outside of each apartment, not too loud but audible all the same. I'd often be up before 6 for work and would have to have a shower. There is not much I could do about that and the neighbours never had an issue. Part of apartment living, unfortunately.

There's a difference between that and putting on your washing machine on a 1,600 RPM spin in the early hours though. It's avoidable.

• Advertisement

I've never lived in an apartment, so I can't comment on that aspect, though I do think what time someone takes a shower at is often down to personal preference. Some people like to shower in the morning, some do in the evening. If no one is complaining, its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Put the grider on a sorbothane or neoprene mat or feet. It's possible the surface it sits on is resonating and amplifying or physically conducting the sound. Get an extension lead and try putting it on the floor and seeing if it's any quiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just enjoy your coffee, it's not like you're drilling through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Probably doesn't give a crap. Sure he's up at 5 anyway. Everyone should be seemingly.

Grinders are loud. They are a mechanical device that quite literally moves gears and compresses food. They are noisey by their nature. Not unlike a geared drill.

I guess the OP had to choose between being cool and finding a solution or being a dick to the neighbours at 5am which let's face it, is an abnormal early hour. I'm sure they know this well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

He should be thankful he doesn't have my neighbours.

You could try putting a rubber mat below it and / or moving it to another room away from the partition ? You could also put the machine on some evening and go next door to hear how loud it is, you might be surprised.

Some people are light sleepers (and also find it hard to get back to sleep) and I can see how being woken every morning at 5am wouldn't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Trying a rubber mat underneath to dampen the sound is a good idea. IMO, using a household appliance for a few seconds even early in the morning is perfectly acceptable.

If the noise is a problem, then the neighbour should look into sound proofing or just simply buy some earplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a grinder. If I close the door to the kitchen, it's not loud enough to disturb the sleep of anyone else in the same house, let alone the house next door - If there were one. My blender, on the other hand, is very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

There's is no acceptable noise at 5am, except for birds tweeting, and even that's unacceptable on some mornings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The OP needs to get up and go to work at 5am. So it's clearly acceptable for them to at a minimum make the noise necessary to leave their house, creaking floorboards/opening and closing doors etc. How far past that is acceptable is up for debate, but the answer is objectively not "snoring" or "no noise".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

A geared drill, dear God

Not even worth replying considering your form for talking out of your hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement