Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You're not, though. You're grinding coffee.

Get a friend to blind test you with freshly ground coffee and 8-hour ground coffee held in an airtight container and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'm aware of that, But that's not answering the question.

Leaving this scenario aside, Say my neighbor had an issue with me having a shower at 5am prior to going to work. Is that considered unreasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭ForestFire

A Few things...

There are plenty of suggestions to reduce the noise at 5am and it's not clear which the OP is willing to do (some he has answered but not all), there maybe a big difference between putting a mat under the machine Vs grinding the day/night before.

Also op said they used to drink instant or take tablets in the morning, so it's like like coffee from the new grinder is essential. There must be other parts of the day where you can treat yourself to a special coffee, or is it only drink 1 cup at home a day.

When my daughter brushes her teeth in the morning, sometimes she puts the electric toothbrush in the sink or wall and it vibrates from downstairs to upstairs quite loudly. Is the Grinder against a wall, near any plumbing?

Comparing this to a child crying, not a great tbh and not something you can control or frequent, but also things like bin collectors. This happens infrequently, like once a fortnight, and is it even as early as 5am anywhere?

Dogs barking, very interesting...so our residents association send reminders all the time about dogs barking even during the daytime, due to Nightshift workers, so yes dogs barking seen as not okay.

They have also highlighted certain loud cars ( probably just need a service I'm sure!), driving late at night or early in the morning disturbing the peace.

I don't need unanimity or to debate it.

The point is, there is a path the neighbour could go down to take this further if they really wanted to. What matters is that he finds it an annoyance. Once a formal complaint is made, then its out of both their hands.

But how awful would it be, if it had to come to that, when a decent storage container could solve the problem for both the OP and his neighbour.

If a formal complaint was made it would probably sour any relationship on both sides for good, and that's not a path Id recommend anyone to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Classic boards thread.

Guy comes with a problem. Gets piled on by a load of keyboard warriors.

Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement

There used to be a Rant thread where people could post and no one could disagree with them. Is that what you are looking for?

I'd say it's approx 50/50 support for both parties. Is that not enough?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

To be fair, if said neighbour was the type to lodge a "formal complaint" over the noise a coffee machine running and a microwave door opeing then that neighbourly relationship has no chance from the off. You'd just end up ignoring that mad neighbour, much like what would happen to any "formal complaint".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A judgement for making coffee in the morning :)

You're missing the point. The amount of time taken to wake someone is irrelevant. It can take only a second. A once off, no court would entertain it. 5 days a week for months. I'd bet good money they'd make an order along the lines of:-

1. Op puts in place a noise suppressor
    2. Improve the insulation in the house
    3. Desist from making noise that can wake someone in another room before x time.

But, we agree no garda would pursue it before a court order. They definitely would if a court so decided. I think we'll have to agree to disagree that waking someone up at 5am five days a week due to noise in a domestic setting wouldn't give rise to an order by the court to mitigate the noise. The gardai would only get involved if the court order was not carried out. The gardai would not then be intervening due to noise pollution but because a court order was not carried out.

The funny thing about the law is that it needs to carry out what it says it will carry out. The OPs neighbour would need to prove the noise is so egregious as to wake him, and is consistently carried out in the early morning.

To clarify, I've made attempts to dampen the noise, and failing that, for the sake of avoiding awkwardness for my partner and housemate, I'll probably grind the night before.May have missed something else but I'm not going to move house, nor am I going to carry out considerable renovation works.

Coffee machine is on a counter, as far as possible from the parting wall. It's closer to the stud partition separating the kitchen and the bedroom that my partner sleeps in. Bizarrely it doesn't waker her despite the fact she's not a heavy sleeper.

Your third point has no relevance whatsoever IMO.

The rest of your points are referring to hypothetical situations which also have no relevance to the situation.

• Advertisement

He might if it was his shower 😂

I would say it depends, are you singing loudly, what scenario are you suggesting a shower in your house could wake him? I don't think you've answered the question about whether you hear noises from his house. Just how bad is it or can you not hear any noise from his house and he is a complete crank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Is the neighbour saying that he can't get back to sleep after the coffee grinder sound wakes him up? I get up to piss a couple of times during the night and I can always get back to sleep immediately.

Having said that on bin day you would swear that the roof was falling in as our neighbour wheels out his bins through his driveway....but not before he has made several trips to dispose of his empties...slap...bang...wallop...roll roll roll. 🎵🎵

The complaint would not simply be about the fact that the coffee grinder was running.

The complaint would be about the coffee grinder running at 5am in the morning, when most people are still in bed.

No. You know that's not the issue. It's the method of coffee making, which is becoming more popular. But, in badly insulated semi-ds, early morning can, it would appear, cause noise issues.

Would you have any issue with your neighbour playing very loud One Direction music at 5am in the morning as they came off their night shift... every morning, songs on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You see your replies start off fine, your taking so proactive actions and that's great, I think grinding the night before should be you best solution.

But then you become very dismissive of any other point that are relevant and that even you raised yourself. By the way I never mentioned any renovations or moving house.

The third point, re electric toothbrush, was to highlight and sound is very particular, and maybe there is a specific path to you neighbors that may amplify what they here, or maybe not?

The point on the dogs you raised yourself, and as a frequent disturbance a dog barking is not considered acceptable, maybe just like loud coffee grinding 5 early mornings a week, or a loud boy racer car speeding off in the early mornings, everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Are you going to through many more whataboutery examples ? Asking for a friend.

The reality is that a noise that is enough to wake someone up (and this might be, we dont really know), even though its short, that occurs every morning at 5am is not acceptable to the person who is being woke up. There really is no other way to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

I'm amazed at some of the comments coming through here...

If you stop using your grinder, the next thing you'll be getting asked is to park your car around the corner so the sound of starting it doesn't wake him up - it'll never end.

It sounds like your neighbour is a very light sleeper which is unfortunate but I don't see how closing a microwave door or the sound of a grinder going for 5 seconds in unreasonable. Both you and your neighbour bought a semi-d and with that, you know that occasionally noise being carried from either side is a possibility. If he didn't want to accept that, he should have bought a detatched house in the middle of nowehere.

I'm sure you can move the grinder to a different location or something to show you're willing to work on an amicable solution but under no circumstances would I stop using it.

I wasn't suggesting you said them, But you made the point I didn't clarify which ideas were taking into consideration. I was only clarifying what I was and wasn't considering.

Take your point regarding the toothbrush, Im not saying that one is irrelevant, There are vents in the kitchen, which are next to each other which seem to carry a lot of noise.

My morning routine prior to getting the machine is irrelevant.

Noone compared the situation to a baby crying.

As for your point regarding the dogs and the loud cars, I jumped the gun and assumed you were insinuating that I was saying the coffee machine was comparable to those as they had also been mentioned, Where in fact you were giving your personal experience. So apologies for that.

Similar question to you. Would you be okay to your Semi-D neigbhour blaring loud music two hours before you normally wake up. Loud music might be their way to wake up in the morning. Would you be okay with that.

Should grinding coffee be possible. Of course, but there's something wrong with the sound conductivity where the OP lives and it seems to be causing issues. The OP has tried to address them, if no more complaints from the neighbour, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭reclose

Why are some people saying the neighbour will want more and more noise reduced if the OP compromises here. There is no evidence for that.

if I was being woken at 5am by a noise everyday by a neighbour I’d want it to stop. If I spoke to the neighbour and they agreed I wouldn’t be going looking for anything else as that was my issue.

it’s strange that no one in the OP house is being woken up though.

it’s just one of those situations where you’d have to be there to see if anyone is being unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I understand the issue. Im just laughing at the poster who thinks you are going to get arrested or end up in court for making coffee.

But for the record, i think making any noise in the morning that can be heard next door is ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Honestly, I simply don't see the sound of a grinder going for 5 seconds or the closing of a microwave door as unreasonable and so I'd just use ear plugs... I'd see the problem as being on my side. I think the overwhelming majority of people would not wake up fully if they were already in a deep sleep at that point.

Persistent loud music, people arguing or whatever I would have a problem with as its ongoing and therefore, it will not just wake you, but keep you awake. I guess we all differing opinions of what acceptable... I say that as someone who's spent 30 years living semi-D across 5 houses and multiple sets of neighbours

Doesn’t matter, the point is it’s the OPs breakfast & they’re well within their rights to have it.

its 12 seconds of noise of which it likely peaks at the first few seconds and levels out for the latter end.

the question is are they being unreasonable having their coffee for breakfast? No, they are not. At the end of the day unless they’re sleeping in the kitchen the noise is hardly waking them up and is very unlikely to be the disturbance they claim it is.

i don’t care what ridiculous assertions are made here about vibrations travelling. How are they travelling from the counter, across the kitchen and up the wall to the neighbours bedroom, all without disturbing anyone living in the same house?? It’s a coffee grinder, not a jackhammer.

You don’t live in the real world if you think a coffee grinder sounds like a power tool.

I’m actually so tired of seeing comparisons been drawn between a commercial grinder in a cafe and a home grinder. They won’t even come close to producing that much noise.

And as for your comment about consideration, before I replied I took into consideration many factors, included in that was considering how the neighbour behaved in reporting this to the OP. He complained he closes his microwave too hard any sympathy for him went out the window.

@[Deleted User]

Waking someone 5 days a week at 5am will, imo.

your opinion is not the law, though. But hey, you go and file a case with the district court and see what happens. I suspect something like this:

you: judge, my neighbour grinds coffee beans at 5am and it wakes me and im tired!

judge: ask him to make you a cup too

you: but I want a court order to make him stop!

judge: *laughs at you*

Going by what the OP is saying this is an unusual case, based on the infrastructure or such. Whether it's 5 seconds or not, the point is that the person is being woken at 5am (so they claim). If you've already had a few hours sleep by then, most people would find it hard to get back to sleep, plus quality of sleep could be damaged. Not all sleep is equal.

As has been suggested, it's likely that the microwave door being closed being heard is added emphasis.

I alone have asked the OP twice if he can hear anything from his neighbour's house. He hasn't answered. Not sure who is being wound up more, the neigbhour or those of us replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The microwave comment sounds daft i do think the grinder noise is something the op should tackle and try something not worth a major falling out over .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Advertisement

Don't give up the day job, pretty sure Quentin Tarantino's job is safe.

I've never said my opinion is the law. I've posted further up what the law actually is - consistently causing noise that wakes a neighbour up at 5am is not going to be ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement