Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

This thread is hilarious. Remove coffee from the equation as that seems to be a weirdly contentious point for some. Would you say they can't have a shower before work because it's at 5am?

I don’t think the OP deserves the venom some posters are spewing at them. They’ve tried pre grinding and will be trying a mat and towel in the morning. Cut them some slack.

But……. But, this thread is great craic 😂

I think some posters are getting hot and bothered about all the grinding going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You referenced, and agree with a poster who called me a prick, Yet I'm the one being churlish...Ok then.

What do you consider a compromise in this? Considering going to the effort of getting a rubber mat to place under it, and a towel over it isn't a compromise.

Despite what you may think, telling me to move house isn't actually that helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Also, think its funny how the advise to the OP has been "you wouldnt want to fall out with your neighbour over a cup of coffee" when the next door neighbour has had no problem whatsoever in falling out with the OP it.

You are going over and above with the mat/towel. If you are happy with that set up, you are doing more than enough for the next door neighbour.

• Advertisement

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Hey listen,it's your problem,not mine,not other people's. Fair enough you can't move but my point being that only in a detached property with a decent space between neighbours or in a very well insulated larger semi detached can you have the freedom to do what you like. You don't have that freedom, accept it! What to do? If you can't get the machine to work quieter, if you can't find a quieter place to do it, if grinding the beans the night before is not an option then drink something else! If you continue as is things will only get worse with your neighbour, but like I say, your problem.

Did that poster actually call you a prick? Did they use that word? I don't recall seeing that, I just recall the poster telling you that you're being selfish and to cop on. Which they are entitled to do as you posted on a public forum asking for opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

So you don't consider my actions to date a compromise?

And is it my problem? Or my neighbors?

Apologies, I got my posters mixed up.

Edit: @Morgans beat me to it.

OP, just out of curiosity you say you only got the coffee grinder recently.

What did you do for your morning coffee fix before you got it?

• Advertisement

Instant coffee mostly,or in some very busy periods, caffeine tabs.

Wtf is a caffeine tab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If the neighbour is genuine and is being woken by a coffee grinder at 5am every morning, I'd consider it unacceptable.

If you have tried to mitigate the noise as much as possible, then that is acceptable.

He shouldn't dictate what you do but you also shouldn't be waking him maybe 2 hours before he is due to get up.

Just consider how you would feel being constantly woken up at 3am by a neighbour making noise as part of their daily routine. It wouldn't be long before you got pissed off.

A compromise of sorts should be struck, mitigate the noise as best you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm in the camp of try something like a rubber mat or a towel but that's it. If the microwave door is bothering the neighbour then he or the building likely have major issues, most likely both, and he might have to learn to deal with 12 seconds of a kitchen appliance in another house.

Realistically though I think we will only solve this if we get the neighbour, the builder, and a mod from the coffee forum on this thread. The vote just seems too close.

Exactly what it says on the tin, each tablet is the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee, horrible yokes, not ideal but needs must.

I just googled it myself and happened upon a recipe for coffee eggs. You’d get protein and caffeine in one shot. But, it involves using a food processor. I’ve got a feeling the decibels on that may be a smidgen higher 😂

Tis a great thread alright..

A plus one from me.. keep her choppin with da grindin' OP 😃

Let us know more tomorrow if ya can...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

The OP doesn’t come across well to be fair. I think that’s why people have an issue.

5am is very early to wake someone up at. I’d be very annoyed and frustrated if I found myself in that situation. to be honest I probably would have reacted alot worse than your neighbour did

i have no idea how loud these machines are so have no way of offering constructive advice but some sort of compromise might be the best solution

Would it be possible to hear how loud it is from his house?

Regarding the microwave comment, he’s either getting petty from tiredness and frustration or else there’s paper thin walls between you. I’d say it’s just to exaggerate the point about the coffee though

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Moral of the thread: pay for a sound test before buying a house/apartment. Most likely the biggest purchase of your life, what's another couple of hundred euro in the grand scheme of not being able to sleep/grind coffee at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

Grind the night before and into an air tight container ready to go for the morning. No excessive early hours noise, job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Surely the first port of call for the neighbour is a shop that sells ear plugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

A sound test requires access to the neighbours property. The chances of a vendor agreeing to asking their neighbour to facilitate a sound test for anyone interested in buying is extremely unlikely.

I would guess you havent bought a house in the last few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Neighbour sounds like a tool. Grinding coffee for your espresso or flat white takes about 15-30 seconds. I’d tell him to jog on. If they’re waking you up screaming at each other at 3am why would you put yourself out for him, you’re already trying to be as quiet as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You're making a racket (how many people commenting here understand how loud these things are?) and waking your neighbour, deliberately, at 5am.

These are the facts

Coffee machines with built-in grinders aren’t commercial machines, so I suspect OPs isn’t either. Do you lads write to the bin collectors to complain about being woken up for about a minute early in the morning as well?

I wouldnt like to see a lot of posters here on a jury! The OP has been painted as a monster.

Well we know which option you’re going for in this thread anyway 🙄

You could come on to boards acting the hard man telling people you’d cut their electricity when in reality you wouldn’t say boo 🙃

He has told you what you are doing (I sympathise, it's your house) is waking him up. You know your machine will wake him yet you continue to use it. It is not a necessity as you have said yourself.

You are waking him up deliberately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The same noise Evey day at an early hour drives me mental. I'd a neighbour before in an apartment who plugged something into a wall socket in their bedroom every morning at about 6am. You know that sound of a plug hitting the plastic on the socket repeatedly as the person tries, blind, to get it in.

My head was asleep on the other side of the wall and it always without fail woke me up.

Almost passively aggressively bought them an extension lead.

As someone else pointed out, this is a classic boards thread.

Op, expecting to be told he is right: "Boards, tell me I am right"

Boards: "you are not right"

Op: "who asked you?:

I'm making a coffee, Him being woken up is an unfortunate irregular conscequence. That's not deliberate.

I draw your attention to the question in the opening post;

"Question is am I being unreasonable or should I be expected to limit what I do in my own house due to poor soundproofing standards?"

So clearly not an example of what you posted above.

The neighbour has three young children.

So no, earplugs not really an option when they've young kids who might need them during the night.

Keep making your coffee OP and don’t mind the neighbour. He might be like a few on this thread and just have some sort of weird hatred of people who like nice coffee. Heaven forbid you’d make yourself something for breakfast that you actually enjoy. Anyway, I’m off out to put some cones at each end of my road to stop any traffic driving by later, don’t want to have to confront any drivers for waking me at 5am by having the gall to drive past.

• Advertisement

Oh, is it the children that are being woken up? It sounds from the OP like it's just the father?

I think she means that the parent can't wear plugs in case they would be unable to hear the kids in the event of an emergency.

Sorry, just re-read your post - you think the neighbour might not be able to hear an upset child? Then he shouldn't wear ear plugs I guess. Although in my personal experience, the neighbour's coffee machine is a lot less noisy than a sick child

The people advising you to ignore your neigbhbour are doing you no favours, OP. They don't have to live next door to him.

Because problems like these don't go away if you ignore them - they only escalate and it will become less about the disturbance and more about you being inconsiderate when you keep grinding your beans at 5am and it becomes obvious to the neighbour that you don't give a toss about waking him up.

Just because "its your right to do something in your own home at 5am" doesn't always mean you should, and its never a good idea to sour relations with the neighbours purely to make a point - not when something as simple as grinding your coffee beans the night before, could resolve the problem.

Its up to you how you want this to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

But it's not just the neighbour's problem. It's very much the Op's problem too as the neighbour is entitled by law not to be constantly subjected to a noise nuisance at such an early hour. So if he decided to pursue a legal route it would then be a big problem for the Op.

Hopefully the Op is responsible enough to know that there are two of them in this.

• Advertisement

I do appreciate that, Plan of action is to approach tomorrow and see is my efforts to deaden the noise are sufficient. If it's genuinely waking him up,It should be. If as I suspect, He's just being a dose for the sake of it, He'll probably still say it's too loud. As I've said earlier, I have heard him up at the same time on more than one occasion, And I've a feeling he heard it one morning so is using it as an excuse to have a go.

So the OP gives in to a neighbour complaining about a coffee grinder and microwave **** door closing in the house next door (when the OPs own housemates can’t even hear them) and next it’s “I could hear your TV at 9pm last night, would you mind not watching it so late” or “I can hear you closing your car door every morning at 5:30, would you mind walking to work”. The neighbour has issues, not the OP.

I wonder if everyone would have the same opinions if the issue was that the OP was cooking porridge in the microwave and the "ding" was waking the neighbour?

I don't really drink coffee myself and twats who bang on about it annoy me but I can't help feeling that at least some of those who are against the OP are basically against coffee snobs

The OP has said the coffee grinder is something they only got recently.

If there were problems with TV volume or the car door before the coffee grinder, the neighbour would most likely have already complained about those before now.

He probably wouldn't have said anything about the coffee grinder, if it wasn't happening at 5am.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's alright, the neighbour will hear them and alert them.

But to the OP, if your neighbours can hear your microwave close from their bedroom, you have serious problems with the build quality of your houses. You likely have several direct air paths between the dwellings which are a risk for fire spread.

I actually wouldn't advise approaching him or asking him if you're doing enough, I'd do as you planned then wait to see does he complain again. (Fair play for at least trying).

It's possible he is up sometimes - as any of us who are parents will know, it's not unusual to be up during the night (or sometimes several time a night) when you've young kids. When you've young kids any sleep, ALL sleep, is precious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not know.

Maybe it is just escalating from it being a problem for some time?

Like nobody wants to hear coffee grinder whining at 5am. Nobody.

Then if you are subjected to this for some time it is only normal you start noticing other sounds like perhaps that microwave door.

At this stage he may be overreacting but that can happen if you are in a bad situation for some time.

Feck, what's that noise, sounds like someone feeding an empty cadbury's roses tin through a shredder!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I'm just drinking my cup of tea thinking how lucky I am to live in the countryside and not have to deal with some inconsiderate arsehole who starts up a grinder at 5 in the morning, I boil the kettle the night before I'm on early mornings and put 2 cups of water into a flask so the kettle doesn't wake the wife, but I'm just that kind of guy I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

OP, you went about this the wrong way.

You should have came on here and said your neighbour wakesyou up when he closes his microwave and when making coffee.

You be then told, get a life, cop on to yourself, I'dhate to live next to you etc. etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement