Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I never hear any noise from my neighbour at all, he had 2 kids, terraced house, your neighbour is an idiot, maybe have instant coffee or tea or ignore the complaints.

Many houses after the 90s were built with low sound insulation eg sound travels thru walls unless he sleeps in the kitchen he should Not be able to hear coffee grinding it be different if you were playing loud TV or music at 5am you are just having coffee

It's reported on this forum some dublin City apartments people can hear their neighbours talking on a phone builders save money don't put in sound insulation materials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Op sounds like they come on expecting everyone to agree with them, not much consideration from them though, gets tetchy with posters that dissagreed with them and now plans to carry on as they were. Some People in Ireland dont seem to do consideration well, 5am is not a reasonable time just because the Op likes coffee,few suggestions to change their routine which they could make easily and they make excuses to avoid and insult their suffering neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Start to finish, you sounded reluctant to make any change and faulted your neighbour a number of times, they have come to you and told you its noisy and bothers them,you are more concerned about your coffee,doesnt matter what your housemates say, it is likely they tolerate you and are even less likely to complain, even if it really doesnt bother them, The way you describe them as housemates doesnt make it sound like you own or have a longterm vested interest in maintaining neighbourly relations. If you are an owner, you're causing a problem needlessly, Whatever the situation, regardless of the build quality of the properties, a bit of consideration goes a long way, maybe you didnt grow up in an attached home, or imo people had less reason and means to make noise than in times past, still, does not mean you can be inconsiderate, which you are, screams me me me, you dont know or admit it. Grow up and have some consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Well, all that might not be necessary. Anyway, I would be of the opinion that people ought to be allowed behave as they wish within their own homes - as long as they are not breaking any laws. The simple passage of time can often result in issues like this being resolved without lasting recriminations. Keep talking to your neighbour.

• Advertisement

And that's what you got from it? That's fair enough

Your replies to me add nothing, there is nothing of substance in them, I dealt with a neighbour like you before, took a while but he shut up and copped on eventually, making noise was only one of their anti social qualities, and there are ways of dealing with it, all it takes is a small bit of effort on your part, which you seem significantly reluctant to do.

Your story is even seems inconsistent, first you said you were gifted the item, which suggests you are not some existing coffee afficionado,then later you said it defeated the purpose of getting the item, when it was suggested you grind the beans at a different time, which suggests you got it yourself.

Either way, your noise which you admit making is a recent thing, I suggest you get over yourself, grow up and stop acting like an entitled child. Others have said it nicer than me already and you persist, so you dont seem to ever have had the intention of being considerate or reasonable,you came on here expecting people to agree with you. You aren't being reasonable, you are in the wrong, 5am wont be consisered reasonable if your neighbour with children takes you to court for a noise complaint. The common thread with people who make noise is they dont know it or care or both, reasonable people don't even need to ask strangers if what they are doing is ok or not?

And yet you continue to reply.

Appreciate the input

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

If I was your neighbour I'd be thinking my neighbour with the coffee machine is a right prick. You could put me down in the you're being unreasonable camp simply by your replies here, there's people like you in every walk of life I suppose

• Advertisement

Because you hear no noise from your neighbour you surmise the OPs neighbour is an idiot?

"unless he sleeps in the kitchen should not be able to hear coffee grinding" - but he clearly CAN hear the grinder, otherwise he wouldn't have complained about it, and there wouldn't be a thread.

For those suggesting earplugs as a solution for the neighbour, they are the parent of 3 young children. They have to be able to hear them if they do wake during the night.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

If i was being woken at 5 in the morning by a neighbour that refused to compromise in any way I'd find plenty DIY jobs that would urgently need attention at 6 am at the weekends until a resolution was reached that was agreeable to both parties

I'd be happy to help, I'd normally wake at that time regardless of whether I'm working not,I hope the rest of the estate dont mind our handyman endeavors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Unless you live in one or other of the houses in question here, your situation is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

I'm with Sono, and everyone else of the same opinion. It's obnoxious. How you can enjoy your coffee knowing it's at the expense of someone else's sleep is beyond me. You will not pass away from drinking pre-ground coffee, your only-in-your-head notions of what makes a good coffee are ridiculous.

What a load of shīte, the coffee will be fine unless you mix it with the cat litter the night before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is this a reasonable comparison though???

12 seconds of a coffee grind to make some morning coffee. Doesn't seem bad to me tbh. Also, it's a means to an end. He is doing it for a reason...i.e. coffee before work

For you to make a comparison I would think it needs to be something along the lines of: well every weekend I am going to set my alarm to wake me up at 6am so that I go for a run at 6am. The alarm will go off for precisely 12 seconds every weekend at 6am and you can hear it in your house.

If that happened to me at the weekend, I'd be like: meh, how mad are they going out for a run * rollover and back to sleep*

If the coffee grind was happening to me I would be like: "there's coffee Joe going off to work *rollover and back to sleep*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would add though. I think grinding the coffee the night before wouldn't kill you/it. For the sake of peace in the community that is what I would be doing. Just make this crazy neighbour go away....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

If you buy/rent a house and you enjoy grinding coffee in the morning, go for it.

Whatever chance of the neighbour being reasonable went out when they complained about how loudly you close your microwave. The idea that the coffee grinding/soundproofing is your issue, and not your neighbours is funny. Your behaviour doesnt need to change, especially if there are no complaints from inside your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Neighbours will often have different schedules. You're as entitled to have a coffee in your own house as they are. You shouldn't pay a further penalty for working unsociable hours.

Putting the mat down and the towel over it is reasonable accommodation in my mind.

If they complain again just explain the noise is a two way street and they also make noise (likely after you've to go to bed if you're up at 5).

My neighbours get up for work 2 hours earlier than I do and I'm a light sleeper so they often wake me up. Im getting soundproofing done to remedy this as it's not their fault they start work before me.

Well it's the grinding part that's the problem so I'd be a prick regardless.

Im not completely adverse to pre grinding despite what some very angry people here think.

I did grind a shot last night, and it wasn't great, but I didn't leave it in an airtight container. Also, I notice the machine includes a different basket for pre ground coffee, I had been using the normal one so will see if that makes a difference also.

Anyone who thinks "you are entitled to do x or y in your own home" somehow negates "you cant make noise that troubles your neighbours at unreasonable hours" is simply incorrect

NB thats not aimed at OP who as ive said seems to be imo taking a fair attitude towards this and doesnt deserve the kicking he's getting here from many

Grand, you're just trolling then. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

You are entitled to do x or y in your own home.

If the shower was waking the neighbour up, it is acceptable to request your neighbour to change. If you have a coffee grinder that grinds for 12 seconds, its not unreasonable to want to use it for a morning coffee.

If your next door neighbour complains about how loud you are closing the microwave, he/she is being unreasonable.

Let them get ear plugs/soundproofing/etc.

Militant coffee drinkers are worse than militant vegans.

A coffee grinder before crack of dawn is the height of pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭acequion

I had some sympathy for the Op until I read his replies. Smart alecky and churlish, sorry Op, and I fully agree with the poster 1874 who was spot on in their criticism. While it's a pain having your freedom curtailed in your own home and no doubt some neighbours can be ott the fact is that constant 5AM noise waking you up would be hard to live with. Some people might be philosophical like the poster that said "there goes coffee neighbour off to work" but unfortunately not everyone is so easy going. The sound proofing sounds utter shite and both have to live with that and next door to each other but this particular 5AM coffee issue could be resolved with a bit of good will from the Op. It really is all about having a bit of consideration, Op, so my advice is be considerate and find a compromise or else go move to a detached house out the country where you can make as much noise as you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement