Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

• 21-12-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭ JustJoe7240

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread currently running about issues with neighbours due to noise.

Live in a 3 bed semi detached, Houses are a mirror of each other i.e kitchens either side of party wall.

Recently was gifted an espresso machine with a grinder, thing isn't overly noisy but neighbor has been giving me grief about the noise it makes when I'm having a cup of coffee before work, also has passed comment that I close the microwave louder than necessary. I have politely apologized but it's getting to a stage where I'm getting close to telling him where to go. Suggested I get a filling station coffee on the road to avoid using the machine. Question is am I being unreasonable or should I be expected to limit what I do in my own house due to poor soundproofing standards?

Edit: Should note I get up at 5am to be out the door for 5.15

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ Raichu

I wouldn’t advise that. There’s a reason cafes don’t pre grind the coffee in the morning for expedience it will go dry and begin to lose flavour rapidly.

if you ground your coffee at say 7pm tonight to make a coffee at 5am tomorrow it would be horrific and the OP might as well go back to instant coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ houseyhouse

Is it waking the neighbour up? If so it must be pretty loud. Though the microwave door comment makes or seen like this person may be very sensitive. I have to say, I thought my house was bad but I definitely can’t hear the microwave door. Soundproofing must be atrocious. Perhaps the neighbour needs to invest in ear plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ HalfAndHalf

What coffee machine have you? I’ve a SAGE Oracle and if he can hear the grinding of coffee beans he must be sleeping in your dishwasher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ Jmc25

5am is early but I mean you're not blasting music or anything excessive. Sure, it's maybe waking the neighbour up but the bin truck wakes me up at that time some mornings!

It sounds over the top that you've been approached about this to be honest and I think most reasonable people would have just put it down as "one of those things"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

I can hear my neighbour if they don't hit the bowl when urinating. I've cameras inside that get activated by the neighbours closing doors. There is no way in hell that the OP's coffee grinder at 5am is acceptable,I'd one that nearly needed ear defenders when I was using it, look for a different quiter one and if they still complain drink instant.

The microwave door comment was most likely to show how bad the sound proofing is.

Do you really want to fall out with your neighbours over a coffee in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko

I'd be tempted to blind-test it, and see if he can tell the difference between coffee made from a fresh grind and coffee from a 12 hour ago grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭ rolling boh

There seems to be some tips on keeping coffee fresh when you google it might be worth a look 5 o clock is early enough if your man is not getting up for a couple of hours so I would try and keep the peace on that one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ DesperateDan

Yeah grind it the day before and stick it in a proper container air tight container with a co2 valve, it's not going to taste that different and you can prove it to yourself by blind tasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭ dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭ Chinese whospers

Can you hear noises coming from his house or is he super sensitive? The microwave door closing being audible suggests your adjoining wall is made from papier-mâché.

+1 for the idea of going Dutch on the insulation. Are the master bedrooms above the kitchen? And more importantly, is anyone or their partner a screamer? 😅

Anyway, if I were being woken by a pretentious bean crusher at 5am I’d be playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at full volume late enough for you to get the picture, as you presumably go to bed early. 

I’m in love with him and I feel fine.

^^^ although, I’m okay with getting back to winning ways, Jurgen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

The only acceptable noise at 5am is snoring... try to work with him... the coffee grinder is out at 5am... i am sure you can get some kindof anti-slam for the microwave... I often use a town house where i know the next neighbor gets up at 5am like you... i make as little noise as possible after 10pm and really nothing after midnight... the neighbors the other side said i slam the doors during the day.. comment not complaint. i never hear a sound from either house except maybe a chair pulled across floor the odd time... You have to remember that these people may have lived this way all their lives so we need to understand the way things are done... I live in the countryside so i had to learn to adapt...

On a serious note you may have an addition if you need the hit at 5am... i use leaf tea in the morn.... he was way out of order suggesting you buy piss at a service station...

Seems like **** build quality and a cheeky neighbour. Grind the night before and tell your neighbour to grind off.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭ Bassfish

Could get yourself a hand grinder? A lot of purists prefer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ chicorytip

How does a woman "hit the bowl" when urinating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭ Purple Mountain

Is it not more beneficial for either gender to hit the water instead of the bowl?

Less p!ss stains to scrub off?

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement