Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I get up at 5:30am. Always have. And ive always been very careful not to make noise at that hour of the morning. I dont find it that hard to do at all. Just as I would like the neighbors to keep the noise down when i am going to sleep at 10:30pm.

A bit of mutual respect for all goes a long way.

This is your answer, OP. Think outside the box by going into the box. Just use egg boxes and double sided sticky tape and apply for your Blue Peter badge 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

We need more lads like you, Angry angry people with a heart of gold.

That's a reasonable summary, It's a quiet time of year and I'm finished until after Christmas ☺️

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Could you buy a quieter grinder? Or even get a hand grinder for your 5am cup?

I think it's reasonable for you to want your 5am coffee and I also think it's reasonable that your neighbour doesn't want to hear it.

• Advertisement

You know it’s interesting you mention breakfast actually, would the same be said if we swapped coffee for making toast?

this is OPs breakfast. He gets up for work at 5am, it’s a horrible hour of the morning to get up and a fresh coffee is what the OP wants in the morning before he goes to work and why shouldn’t he?

my neighbour’s for instance have on numerous occasions been banging or drilling in the late evening (8-9pm) it’s annoying but they’re lovely people so I wouldn’t be arsed causing a fuss about it.

the point being is just because a neighbour is doing something you don’t care for if it’s not breaking the law sometimes you have to just pick your battles. This neighbour does not sound like someone who picks their battles but rather will just fight about anything (the microwave comment being a key example of this).

yeah, the OP has options here, he could go to a garage (if any are even open at 5am..), drink instant blah blah but why should he? It’s his house, he pays a mortgage/rent and he’s not breaking any laws and upsetting one guy for 12 seconds Mon-Fri, a guy, which as I said earlier seems to just be a contrarian.

funny to see all the big opinions here as if you’re all the perfect neighbours too, I’d love to survey everyone living near ye to hear what they think and see how fast you’ll drop daily rituals just to suit some jackass next door.

also if you happen to see it, to the poster trying to claim inconsistencies in the OPs story, he said he got it as a gift, yes, but regardless what’s the point in owning the product if you’re not gonna use it…? That doesn’t mean he bought it himself, it means he values the machine and it’s purpose and wouldn’t accept a gift that would just occupy counter space, simply to appease a pissy neighbour. He’s even taken steps to mitigate the noise!

also, a lot of folks are claiming the OPs grinder is waking the neighbour? Who said he was being woken up? All the OP said is he was told he can hear it - he didn’t say he was been woken up, perhaps he’s awake at that time already? A lot of assumptions going on which seem to be created simply to feel like you can then talk to down to someone.

grow up the lot of you tbh. Should be embarrassed.

Maybe its the surface the grinder is on that is amplifying the noise. Try putting it on the floor and grinding and see if thats better or worse.

Or even put a neoprene mat under it and see if there is a difference.

Some people are saying it's only 12 seconds. That's more than long enough to wake someone.

Others say no law is being broken. That depends on the courts. And the Gardai can arrest someone in breach of a court order...

Domestic noise - '... the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance.

I would expect something that repeatedly wakes someone up at 5am would fall foul of this if the neighbour was so inclined.

We had someone next door years ago who had loud partied every second night until 4 am.

Told every one to fcuk off when they complained about the noise.

Various people called the gardai at different times. They told the guards to fcuk off too. I heard them.

Sometimes the guards would park the car outside the house even.

Talking to the gardai and they said nothing they could do. We moved.

• Advertisement

I can guarantee if you rang the Gardai because your neighbour was making coffee at 5am they’d arrest you for being stupid.*

*they’d actually just tell you it’s a civil matter or that you’re a bit of a gobshite or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hahaha arrested for grinding coffee for 12 seconds in the morning 😂😂😂😂 Jesus wept, some of you need to see a sleep therapist or something if something like that would seemingly ruin your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many people can't 'rollover and go back to sleep'. Their bodies just don't work that way. For me, if I'm awake, I'm awake, and I won't be able to get back to sleep.

Seriously! Read what I said. You go to the District Court first, get a judgement and THEN call the gardai. Are ye saying the gardai won't enforce a court order.

If you've been calling the gardai first you're doing it wrong. And a once off party isn't actionable either. Waking someone 5 days a week at 5am will, imo.

As a matter of interest, would a screaming baby fall into that category?

#JusticeForJustJoe

Whatever you do, OP, don’t go for a piss and flush the toilet in the middle of the night. You’ll be up in court before the water pump shuts off 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

so many people are comparing it to a microwave ping or a toaster or something, its not, this is a mechanical coffee grinder noise :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuJgoq3Aiso

I've a feeling no judge would rule in your favour in this instance. 🙂 It does sound like the sound proofing is inadequate though.

Oh sorry I wasn't seeking advise on whether I could go after them for that, I was just wondering as a matter of interest. So it's down to a judges opinion in the end, I hope the judge is a pretentious coffee drinking prick, we have to look after our own.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,886 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Toasters dont sound like power tools so the parallel you drew makes no sense,

its about having some consideration, clearly it doesn't resonate with you.

A human crying is a distress signal and cannot be reasonably stopped, so no judge will adjudicate that it is noise disturbance. You grinding beans at 5am is a different matter. So, even if the judge is a fellow grinding degenerate 😛 he'll need to apply the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

That is hilarious. No guard or court would pursue 15 seconds of noise as being a nuisance. Parties, shouting, construction work are what gets covered by those regulations.

Thirdly you’d be dreaming if you thought you wouldn’t be laughed out of court.

No one is saying he can't have fresh coffee in the morning. There is no reason he can't grind his beans the night before, store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag, and not wake his neighbour at 5am.

As already quoted:

Domestic noise - '... the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance.

So a noise repeated every workday morning at 5am is a reasonable cause for annoyance. The neighbour has the law on his side and grounds to make a complaint, if he really wanted to.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grinding coffee and a toaster popping up aren't quite in the same noise league.

I should probably point out that it was tongue in cheek because someone will most certainly take it seriously.

That is interesting though, Thank you for that. I'm assuming a dog barking would fall into the same category as that damn coffee grinder despite the fact it is most likely in distress also.

It's not, but I understand the point the poster is making. Say I was having a shower, would that be seen as being as unreasonable as the coffee maker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think you'll get unanimity on it being a reasonable cause of annoyance. To be honest that's quite debatable.

If I were the OP, I'd take some steps to reduce the noise, such as moving the machine as far as practically possible from the party wall, and placing it on a rubber mat. If you own the property, I'd look into checking if there are holes in the walls joining your two houses too. Just take reasonable steps for noise mitigation, nothing that costs money.

What I wouldn't do, is stop having your coffee. I've lived next to sensitive clowns like this, one came up to my door asking me to turn down the TV at 6:30 in the evening (it was at 25 while I was making the dinner). Quite frankly, he will have to get used to the noise of life and should be told so or you'll be getting complaints about showers, flushing the toilet or pissing in the bowl next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement