Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

This sounds like an absolute nightmare honestly. Your neighbour can hear your microwave door closing??? I'd hate feeling like I had to tiptoe around my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭DFB-D

Respectfully, I would suggest that you respect your neighbours by not causing disturbance at unsocial hours.

Which should be mutually respected of course, I imagine you generally need to go to bed earlier than your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

What sort of advise is this ffs! Jesus Christ reading this thread I am glad I am not attached to any other house.

Drive on with your coffee at 5am OP,pay no heed to such utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

I've dealt with very distressing noise disturbances from a former, very unreasonable neighbour but I agree with you here. The closing of microwave doors is on the lowest possible end of the scale to the point that it's barely even on the scale at all.

Coffee grinder - ok, if you're on good terms with the neighbour might be worth a friendly word, but I really think most people would let it slide.

The issue is clearly structural rather than behavioural here and if microwave doors closing are bothering the neighbour then short of the OP asking for permission to walk from the bedroom to the bathroom at night, this neighbour is never going to be happy until the underlying structural problem is fixed.

This thread just makes me realize I'd rather live in a van or move back to the parents than live in semi d or town house.

Jesus Christ, next they'll be giving out about your farting habits. I cant see myself getting a mortgage and hearing the house beside you having a shower.

Even a few beers and turning the TV up volume your not allowed to do, **** that. my idea of torture and paying 20-30 years of your life for the privalage, **** that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

semi Detached houses in the last 20 years have such poor noise seperation that a coffee grinder next door in the kitchen at 5 am would be loud in the next door bedroom.

This is because for money saving reasons the houses are generally bedroom/kitchen back to back, instead of halway/staircase back to back, and also because the cheapest method of construction is employed and there is no government oversight at all. Nothing.

Developers build to the minimum standards ALWAYS! if not below. So instead of a noise barrier there is usually a noise amplification system in the party wall, solid block with dab and slab on either side.

As a semi D dweller i know. I'm lucky the blocks are of reasonable quality

If i fired up a grinder at 5 am i would DEFINITELY wake next door.

It’s not just the taste it’s how it will pull through the machine. You can end up with watery crap if the beans used are too dry even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I honestly can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. Its like I've stumbled into some alternative universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's just it, 4 inch block and a slab either side. To be fair, there's generally not an issue with noise, you might hear a door slam or a 3 year old tantrum but other than that it's pretty bearable. I'm certainly not going to go go the expense of slabbing again for their sake.

Edit: 9 inch, rather than 4 inch

Post edited by JustJoe7240 on

Far from an aficionado, If it pulls half decent at all, I'll go with it for the sake of not waking my housemates, have ground a shot for the morning, Will see how it goes

• Advertisement

I have a semi d house built in 2006. Kitchens back to back, bedroom and en-suite toilet above kitchen both back to back.

If I’m in the bedroom the noise from their kitchen travels up to my bedroom. But I don’t hear as much if we are both in our kitchens. Same if they use the en-suite toilet. Luckily they use the house as a holiday home so it’s not an everyday occurrence.

Would pumping insulation into that wall dampen the sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭breeno

As mentioned above, a hand grinder sounds like a good compromise. The likes of Commandante or 1zspresso grind really well for espresso without the big noise.

Maybe you're fortunate enough not to live in the 'real world' then 😂

Such things might not be an issue to you, but when Mickey Mouse cardboard/paper-thin partition walls are involved; then that's how it goes... might seem comical to you, but it's how 1000's of people live - wondering/worrying/being overly cautious about doing entirely acceptable things at acceptable times, lest they have their neighbour banging on their door/adjoining wall.

Or maybe you disagree with the OP's 'behaviour' - hard to tell from your post 😊

I'd say grind away OP , but I've never heard one of those things in action, so I don't know how loud it gets.. How's the neighbour on the sound of electric showers (if ya have one) , or flushing the toilet etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What part are you struggling with?

Compassionate as I am, there's not a fear I'm spending the kind of money for those examples needed. Defeats the purpose of buying a coffee maker with a grinder just to buy a hand grinder separately.

Thankfully these are bungalows. No it wouldn't, they're solid walls. Double slabbing would be the only option from what I can see.

No issue in that regard, as bathrooms and ensuite would be other side of the house.

Tried this morning, Not great, but not sure if that's because I know it was grinded earlier, will have to trial it properly later, Did find that putting a towel over the machine when it's grinding seems to dampen the sound a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That centre wall is afaik a 9in solid wall... it may have changed since i lived in a semi nut i doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I believe so, house around 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems fairly mental that the next door neighbour is complaining about it when his housemates aren't. Stuff up against party walls can be surprisingly noisy though.

It may also be a case that the neighbour's kids are waking at 5am, and the neighbour is blaming this on the OP's coffee machine because they can't think of any other reason. Even though sometimes kids just wake up.

The only compromise I'd do here really is to find a different spot for the coffee machine which isn't against a wall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Party walls or other bridging between structures can carry any vibration or impact noises (which both of these fall in to) heavily.

Even my 70s built like a bomb shelter house transfers those type of noises; but you could have someone screaming in one house and not be heard in another.

Add to that the Tiger era of builds which are basically thrown up, you can hear people talking next door in most of those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh if you started grinding coffee beans at 5am. I'd knock your electricity off. Completely unreasonable response but 5am every morning mechanical machine grinding down beans ffs.

They can easily be ground the night before and put in a sealed container. Anyone that says they go off in a few hours and taste like instant coffee is a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not really a kitchen appliance though there's people with commercial coffee makers now. It's an actual mechanical tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

when you have kids of your own you will realise them throwing a wobbler at 3am isnt his fault and he would also much prefer that they didnt do it either,

grinding beans is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My old workplace had a coffee grinder bought for the boss and other office coffee w*nkers.

The noise it made was like drilling a hole through a wall.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

It’s not a matter of taste alone, the espresso will pull through too fast and be like water.

i think the part we’re all forgetting here is the OP is using a coffee grinder not a flipping Kango saw like. Yeah they can be a bit loud, for about 30 seconds. God help us what is the world coming to that a thread full of people would think a neighbour who complains not only about a coffee grinder - but a microwave door being shut is someone to listen to.

Snoring is the only noise acceptable at 5am.

Thankfully my neighbor isn't as tough and scary as your good self.

But it really is a kitchen appliance though.

Of course not, but that doesn't stop some people complaining about the former.

That's your perspective, Not to me as I get up at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭walkonby

A 30 second blast of noise waking a person every single weekday at 5am would get tedious.

The microwave door thing makes the neighbour sound like a bit of a Karen though. Unless the walls are made of paper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement