Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's not to see things going backwards instead of forwards here

Case numbers and hospital number's will rise in July and NPHET will say back to level 5

Protests will do SFA

What a great country... 46 people in hospital *with Covid (did they catch it in hospital?)
    16 people in ICU.. (how many had serious underlying conditions)

Millions of people not allowed to leave the country or have a beer indoors and are dependant on €350 a week PUP payments due to being denied the chance to earn a wage by this Government...

For how much longer will the Irish continue to bend over and be diktated to..?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Patser wrote: »
    What I can't understand is how blindsided the Govt seems by all this? The NPHET advice last night seems to have caught everyone out, leading to today's confused scramble.

Because I don't think they were expecting NPHET to be so negative when the last few weeks most of what nphet have said has been quite positive.
    . Its unlikely NPHET just got their modeling results late yesterday and went Oh dear look... So why was Martin, Varadkar etc so unprepared?

To be honest I think nphet pulled these figures out of Tonys arse on Sunday night. Nphet were supposed to meet on Wednesday or Thursday with the government to make announcements on Friday - NPHET were put on the spot to meet earlier and these figures appeared out of no where - or at least without being verified. The figures they've released are ridiculous and in no way realistic - I really feel that NPHET did this based on unrealistic modelling and no where near the real figures coming from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

niallo27 wrote: »
    80% effective against hospitalization after one dose, why do you have to be told this over and over again. Yet you keep peddling the 33% figure.

Simple because it is very relevant with regard to the comment in question. And that figure relates to All vaccines in relation to the Delta variant.

The figure for hospitalisation is a combined figure for the Alpha variant only - but equally I could ask why you only rely on that figure? As detailed it is recommended that everyone gets both doses ASAP to prevent getting sick enough to prevent hospitalisation in the first place due to the increased risk from the Delta variant.

Edited. Due to detail being taken out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Communions and Confirmations that was planned for early July are off but weddings with guests of 50 people can proceed. Where is the logic in allowing one over the other?

Where is the confirmation of this besides a Leo Varadkar throwaway comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where is the confirmation of this besides a Leo Varadkar throwaway comment?

All changes to indoor events are paused except weddings going up to 50. Check gov.ie. It's all there.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    To be honest I think nphet pulled these figures out of Tonys arse on Sunday night. Nphet were supposed to meet on Wednesday or Thursday with the government to make announcements on Friday - NPHET were put on the spot to meet earlier and these figures appeared out of no where - or at least without being verified. The figures they've released are ridiculous and in no way realistic - I really feel that NPHET did this based on unrealistic modelling and no where near the real figures coming from other countries.

There's no independent monitoring and approval of these figures NPHET are picking out of their backsides, no one to say "Hold on, you're wrong and this is why.."
    And as result the country is held to ransom again by Holohan and Nolan...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Gael23 wrote: »
    Communions and conformations in July cancelled.

MM must have been invited to a wedding

Very doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

gozunda wrote: »
    Simple because it is very relevant with regard to the comment in question. And that figure relates to All vaccines.

According to the latest data the figure for hospitalisation is 71% (not 80% btw) for Astrazeneca only - but equally I could ask why you only rely on that figure? As detailed it is recommended that everyone gets both doses ASAP to prevent getting sick in the first place. Or is it that you know better?

One or both doses does not prevent you getting sick at all. It is stated that it ‘should’ ‘reduce the risk of catching Covid’. You can still catch it and pass it on however your symptoms should be milder as you’ve built up some immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Listening to the last word and hearing business owners at a complete loss with their situation was heartbreaking.they should all open up in protest cause if your business is nearly gone you have nothing left to lose.

The big problem I see in all of this is that the government didn’t allow vaccinated people to do as they pleased all along.

Everything should have opened to fully vaccinated people months ago with outdoor restrictions for unvaccinated people elsewhere, and it would have ramped up gradually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's no independent monitoring and approval of these figures NPHET are picking out of their backsides, no one to say "Hold on, you're wrong and this is why.."
    And as result the country is held to ransom again by Holohan and Nolan...

We desperately need a ANTINPHET

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

aziz wrote: »

We need FG to pull out of this government - Leo as Taoiseach might have stood up to Nphet and seen through this shambles.

The bars and restaurants should just go along with it, no point in stating the obvious that it’s unworkable.

Say they can follow the guidelines and then open up, put a disclaimer on their site when making a booking indoors that you agree that everyone booking indoor dining has to be fully vaccinated and then work away.

Obvs keep masks and distancing, table service etc.

They should just open on the 5th - Theres not enough Garda to enforce it if everyone opened at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They should just open on the 5th - Theres not enough Garda to enforce it if everyone opened at the same time.

Yup, just fcuk it at this stage and open

The Gardai can use their new found discretion

Well either that or they all get together and close ALL hotels and bars/restaurants currently open for outdoors, and have every employee march on the Dail to protest, along with all the Aviation workers too, bring the city to a standstill and protest this crazy government...

However I fear a sizeable number of the Irish population have "Stockholm syndrome" when you see Holohan getting the freedom of the city, and would stay at home hiding if all the pubs opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I seriously give up at this stage, the only country in Europe that bans indoor dining. Due to work (in a hospital) I haven’t heard all the media but how on earth did they project possible 2000 deaths when there’s no link between the Delta virus and increased hospitalization?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Tenzor07 wrote: »

For how much longer will the Irish continue to bend over and be diktated to..?

And therein lies the BIG question.

And the answer, I fear, is indefinitely. Which is why we have a major problem here. We've all watched horrified for the past year as overreaction after overreaction has decimated our social and economic structure and we keep hoping, praying, this has to be a turning point, this has to be the proverbial straw. But no. The powers that be continue to dictate, each time more mercilessly and the sheep just keep falling into line.Only a massive, spirited and coordinated display of public disobedience such as full on protests, swathes of restaurateurs defying the rules, politicians showing balls, media getting behind the people,legal challenges, in short, a major fightback from the people will get us back our liberties. But it won't happen.

In this country the great powers have zero regard for the little people. And the little people are either too brainwashed,too terrified,too apathetic or a bit of all three.

I'm both sickened to the pit of my stomach and terrified for the future. This won't end well.

When was the last death reported here from covid? A month ago?

I know their computers were compromised but surely someone can report a death without a computer a few weeks later?

Or is it that nobody is dying?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

What about christenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One or both doses does not prevent you getting sick at all. It is stated that it ‘should’ ‘reduce the risk of catching Covid’. You can still catch it and pass it on however your symptoms should be milder as you’ve built up some immunity.

Nope.

I did not state a person would not "get sick at all" btw. In context I referred to a person not getting sick (enough) to require hospitalisation in the first place.

But as to what "is stated" - "There’s strong, reliable evidence that COVID-19 vaccines greatly reduce your risk of getting COVID-19. They’re highly effective at preventing deaths and serious illness with COVID-19"

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When was the last death reported here from covid? A month ago?

I know their computers were compromised but surely someone can report a death without a computer a few weeks later?

Or is it that nobody is dying?????

10 deaths reported in June

No further data

What about christenings?

Settled or traveller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This unfortunately sums up my major reluctance in attending any protest. I dont want to end up at something that is hijacked by either eirigi or some sort of anti vax conspiracy nutters

Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters leading from the front. Nah your alright.

Stheno wrote: »
    10 deaths reported in June

No further data

10 deaths.

What a joke.

More people dying in the roads at this stage.

Close the roads.

acequion wrote: »
    In this country the great powers have zero regard for the little people. And the little people are either too brainwashed,too terrified,too apathetic or a bit of all three.
    I'm both sickened to the pit of my stomach and terrified for the future. This won't end well.

Guaranteed if they cut the payroll of all Civil/public servants by 10% to help pay for all these restrictions you'd see open warfare on the streets!

With no Tourism, Aviation or Hospitality industry earning revenue and paying taxes, who's paying for the 1/4 €Trillion national debt they have run up since taking power?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nope.

I did not state a person would not "get sick at all" btw. In context I referred to a person not getting sick (enough) to require hospitalisation in the first place.

But as to what "is stated" - "There’s strong, reliable evidence that COVID-19 vaccines greatly reduce your risk of getting COVID-19. They’re highly effective at preventing deaths and serious illness with COVID-19"

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

So why bring up a 1000 deaths in January, do you honestly think we would see a 1000 deaths from now until September if indoor dining was opened up or do you still not have any opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

aziz wrote: »

The current crowd should be called INEPTPHET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Nope.

Yep. You did!

‘As detailed it is recommended that everyone gets both doses ASAP to prevent getting sick in the first place. Or is it that you know better?’

Why lie?

Also, reduce isn’t the same as eliminate so people can still catch it and pass it on.

Advertisement