Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

607 swabs
    4.7% + rate

Swabs slightly lower than the same day last week but the + rate is not good at all.

It's going to be pretty noisy in terms of data for the next few days. Need to work through paddy's day and then the days after when referrals increase given the missed day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

rusty cole wrote: »
    look I've no skin in the game either way Seamus but look at her CV ok, just on the face of it. I would have to ask why people like this, along with the DR Martin Feelys in Ireland and indeed many the world over, are suddenly abandoning the science that has served them for decades and joining splinter groups of anti lizard people? or is that really the case? Half of NPHET are young and have much less experience of evidence based medicine and though I accept all the accolades that came after, Ronan started life as a physio.

Martin Feely was a vascular surgeon. Completely inapplicable for anything to do with respiratory illnesses or public health. They're a famously specific specialty, hence why you don't see them speaking about healthcare outside their specialty. Feely did this based on his administrative role, not based on his medical background.

Ronan Glynn is a member of the RCSI and the RCPI (quite uncommon for someone to achieve both). He has an incredibly accomplished medical CV; you mention that he has a BSc in Physiotherapy. You fail to mention that after that he got a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, PhD in Surgical Oncology and a Masters in Public Health.

You were either unaware of that, or else you clearly have no knowledge of medical qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Just to flag up a bit of caution when looking at swabs over the next few days. Would suspect with paddy's day they're going to be noisy for want of a better word until after the weekend.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1372934391480061960?s=19

Surely next week before we'd expect any impact from Paddy's day? How quickly are people noticing symptoms now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

h2005 wrote: »
    Surely next week before we'd expect any impact from Paddy's day? How quickly are people noticing symptoms now?

It's the impact on testing , not the impact covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm not talking impact of paddy's day in terms of getting covid.

I'm talking in terms of referrals for tests, test being carried out etc.

All impacted by a bank holiday and hence will probably give a bumpy few days in terms of metrics surrounding testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-r-rate-school-closures-lockdown-lancet-study-b1251617.html?__twitter_impression=true

Are we finally going to admit that schools lead to a significant hike in numbers? Once we do that at least we can begin the conversation on how we approach it (mitigate or choose to live with it). The nonsense of denying this is getting us nowhere and is only causing division.

At this stage I think continue with what's there til Easter, since that's only next Friday for their holidays but maybe unless cases come down, just let it at LC to go back and pull Primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Admit that? On this forum? Haha haha. Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If there was ever a time to consider buying a boat it's now. Just saying :)

I was looking at kayaks actually! But with Cork Harbour and tides, I'd probably get swept out to sea, which would require rescue and a fine for being outside my 5k! The middle of the Atlantic sadly is >5km away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

jhegarty wrote: »
    It's the impact on testing , not the impact covid.

Ah got ya thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-r-rate-school-closures-lockdown-lancet-study-b1251617.html?__twitter_impression=true

Are we finally going to admit that schools lead to a significant hike in numbers? Once we do that at least we can begin the conversation on how we approach it (mitigate or choose to live with it). The nonsense of denying this is getting us nowhere and is only causing division.

The study shows schools reopening increase the R number nearly as much as group gatherings.

... so gatherings of people in schools, increase the R number as much as gatherings of people in non-schools.

What a shocker!

Next we'll be told the €9 meal didnt fight off covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

titan18 wrote: »
    At this stage I think continue with what's there til Easter, since that's only next Friday for their holidays but maybe unless cases come down, just let it at LC to go back and pull Primary.

Pull primary? As in close primary schools for children in their formative years who already have had stop start schooling since March 2020?
    That what ya mean?

jhegarty wrote: »
    I am going assume there was less routing testing which would push up the positivity rate.

I'd buy this if overall positives were low. But 607 is a large number, even if the denominator is potentially artificially reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

tom1ie wrote: »
    Pull primary? As in close primary schools for children in their formative years who already have had stop start schooling since March 2020?
    That what ya mean?

Primary cant close again, irrespective of case numbers.

redmgar wrote: »
    Primary cant close again, irrespective of case numbers.

100%.

That what ya mean?

I don't get how people don't realise that in-person schooling is far far more important for primary school kids than Leaving Cert students.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jesus wept. That's unbelievable.

Amirani wrote: »
    I don't get how people don't realise that in-person schooling is far far more important for primary school kids than Leaving Cert students.

Absolutely agree, teaching from home for primary school students is pure bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

100%.

I love how everyone can quantify the damage closing schools will have on children but ignore the damage lockdowns have on the economy and individual livelyhoods and mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My six year old is back 2 weeks now and the difference in her demeanor is immediately apparent. She's far more upbeat and full of energy... which, to be honest... is testing us in the evenings! But I'd rather have her back in school. Her school have been absolutely brilliant at all stages since last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thats nonsense. Kids need school.

• Advertisement

Monster249 wrote: »
    I love how everyone can quantify the damage closing schools will have on children but ignore the damage lockdowns have on the economy and individual livelyhoods and mental health.

Sorry but kids take precedence. They are the future workforce after all and primary is an extraordinarily important time for them to develop, which has already been messed up this last year.

Sorry but kids take precedence. They are the future workforce after all and primary is an extraordinarily important time for them to develop, which has already been messed up this last year.

If we're agreeing that kids take precedent then you have to use the same logic and agree that elderly should be the least of our concern no?

What about the impact this is having on young adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Not going to need a workforce if we continue with the financially reckless carry on with these lockdowns.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Not going to need a workforce if we continue with the financially reckless carry on with these lockdowns.

Exactly, for every point supporting schools taking precedent there's an equally strong point opposing it.

TheDoctor wrote: »

Listen I’m not saying we should be locked down to the extent we are, I’m simply saying primary schools CANNOT close again.

Martin Feely was a vascular surgeon. Completely inapplicable for anything to do with respiratory illnesses or public health. They're a famously specific specialty, hence why you don't see them speaking about healthcare outside their specialty. Feely did this based on his administrative role, not based on his medical background.

Ronan Glynn is a member of the RCSI and the RCPI (quite uncommon for someone to achieve both). He has an incredibly accomplished medical CV; you mention that he has a BSc in Physiotherapy. You fail to mention that after that he got a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, PhD in Surgical Oncology and a Masters in Public Health.

You were either unaware of that, or else you clearly have no knowledge of medical qualifications.

Hang on, we can all be quite the wiki wonder, of course I know this, I'm as clever as you think I am stupid. So we agree Ronan has a great CV and then so has dolores Cahill and so have many others who don't sit on NPHET and yet anyone outside of the court de jour is labelled a heretic. The question is why do these people of great standing and medical prominence, decide to flush their achievements away over what most on here call, a Threat to national health.
    It doesn't add up and yet neither does a lot of the NPHET measures either...

separately, can I send you my CV? you'd do well in public relations and promotions.;)

Listen I’m not saying we should be locked down to the extent we are, I’m simply saying primary schools CANNOT close again.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that other facets of the economy are equally as important and have been discarded like sour milk so nothing would surprise me.

If we're agreeing that kids take precedent then you have to use the same logic and agree that elderly should be the least of our concern no?

What about the impact this is having on young adults?

Not at all, I use the logic that the vulnerable should be protected. Kids without an education are vulnerable more so than young adults who have their education.
    That’s a hard truth but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Exactly, they aren't both mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that other facets of the economy are equally as important and have been discarded like sour milk so nothing would surprise me.

Kids educations are more important than young adults outlook on things who already have gained their education.
    It’s extremely hard for all involved but there has to be a hierarchy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement