Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Anyone know what happened to that Conor guy on Twitter. He posted a lot of data-driven stuff. Trends and what not. Seems to have disappeared off Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Monster249 wrote: »
    For all the lockdown supporters, a genuine question. What would actually need to happen for your support for the government to bottom out and for you to think we should open up?

Just genuinely curious as to what thought pathways lead you to believe that what we're experiencing and what we have experienced throughout the last 12 months is acceptable.

If I didn't have medically vulnerable people in my household, I'd relax a lot more. My support for the govt. is near zero, has been since April last year tbh. I know it may seem like biting the hand that feeds, but roll on the vaccines.

Edit: to clarify, my "relax" is - meet friends outdoors for coffee, go outside my 5k. Not go to parties or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP referral data is out. Referrals about 50% higher than Tuesday. Of course, you would expect a spike with GPs closed on Wednesday but it's more of a spike than you would have liked.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-19_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

hmmm not ideal

She might be a bit loopy but she can express her opinion as her right, this cancel culture shyte that USD's student union is going for should be called out.
    Yes she's a bit mad but so what, she's a professor and he opinion should be heard.

Does a tree make a noise in the forest when it falls NO, just walk on and don't listen but calling for her Job is weak and frankly snowflakey.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/ucd-student-union-calls-for-college-probe-into-professors-speech-at-patricks-day-anti-lockdown-event/ar-BB1eKnFR?li=BBr5KbJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ugh... there's never any positivity in the news, they have nothing good to say because they're failing... they repeat themselves over and over... have to realise they've "lost the room", people have had enough.

The vaccines are the key but the availability and the distribution seems like a farce.

At some stage we need to start to "live with the virus" and the vulnerable will be the ones that will need to manage their lockdown and mixing with the wider public, rather than everyone else...

For all the lockdown supporters, a genuine question. What would actually need to happen for your support for the government to bottom out and for you to think we should open up?

Just genuinely curious as to what thought pathways lead you to believe that what we're experiencing and what we have experienced throughout the last 12 months is acceptable.

I’ve seen people suggest that even with 0 deaths, we’d still need to take measures to ensure people don’t get sick.

So I’d imagine there is a cohort out there who would simply prefer to stay closed permanently if it involves less health risks.

They don’t seem to acknowledge the financial side of things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GP referral data is out. Referrals about 50% higher than Tuesday. Of course, you would expect a spike with GPs closed on Wednesday but it's more of a spike than you would have liked.

2 days of data into one. Expected nothing less to be honest.

If there isn't a bank holiday on Wednesday then safe to assume still even enough over the 2 days.

User142 wrote: »
    In March 2020, if the vulnerable and elderly had the same outcomes to covid as they will have post vaccine would we have ever shut down.

They are talking about a couple of weeks until we start to see the effect of the vaccine bare fruit ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rusty cole wrote: »
    She might be a bit loopy but she can express her opinion as her right, this cancel culture shyte that USD's student union is going for should be called out.
    Yes she's a bit mad but so what, she's a professor and he opinion should be heard.
    When there's a conflict between your opinion and your job, one of them has to go.

Imagine a civil engineer who actively campaigned to have the earth recognised as flat. Or a geologist campaigning to demand the bible be recognised as historical fact.

A member of the faculty of medicine in UCD spreading lies about viral spread and public heath measures, is not fit to occupy a teaching position.

People can fvck off with this "cancel culture" bollox. Demanding that someone be fired because they're completely unfit for their job is perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I can't understand why so many people are still putting themselves forward for testing. If you have flu like symptoms stay home for 10 days. If you need medical care they give you a test anyway.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

JRant wrote: »
    I can't understand why so many people are still putting themselves forward for testing. If you have flu like symptoms stay home for 10 days. If you need medical care they give you a test anyway.

And who will pay anyone who is working for the 10 days sitting at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There’s a big financial side of things and it can’t be ignored but there’s also a big financial side of things to a further wave which also can’t be ignored.

One area we definitely need to look at is regionalising the response.

Just as an example if say Cork and Kerry are relatively safe that’s about 11% of our economy more shut down than they might need to be.

We need to be able to isolate regions from travel risks though or it will keep moving back in, but some notion that a national lockdown is all about fairness is going to lose economic activity that is potentially benefiting the entire country, not just the regions that might be more able to open due to their geographical & economic relatively self contained situation.

What you can’t have though is opening of national tourism and travel if there are high rates in some areas and not in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Whatever about labelling people lockdown supporters or not (spoiler alert, nobody actually likes lockdowns), regarding whether its acceptable, I genuinely think most people realise we're in the middle of a probably one in a hundred year event and extraordinary measures are required, inconvenient though they are. We can't just say "...global pandemic ? Nah, its ok, doesn't suit me this week, I'll give it a miss, thanks...."
    Our government has broadly followed what most western governments have done. Yes there have been mistakes made, of course there have, especially around inbound travel and a few other things, everyone is learnign on the hoof, but we've by and large been on the same track as our peer countries. There have been differences in the details of restrictions just as there are differences in the cultures of countries. Some have curfews, we don't, some have restaurants open, we don't etc etc. but its all within a restrictions approach to a virus. We've been fairly light touch with regard to the actual enforcement of the restrictions.

I dunno, I mean what's a workable alternative ? Its been asserted many times that you can't effectively shield any cohort of society. That's not to say I think L5 should be indefinite, but I also don't know enough about viruses and epidemiology and modelling to contradict the people who do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't support the government. I place a lot of blame on ff/fg for our health service being where it is on their door.

I do support lockdown. I also hate lockdowns.

As to what it would take for us to open up. Hoapitals fully open and able to take care of routine medical care.

What do we need for that to happen? I'm guessing here but icu below 50 and hospital bed occupancy due to covid around 200.

Probably lower so we don't immediately lock down again but that's probably the levels for hospitals to be back to normal operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because people would rather know? And they'd rather know what to do next?

My daughter got tested yesterday. We're 99.99% sure it's a cold from going to back to school. Happens every time. But we did it anyway, because if it's negative, she can go back to school to Monday. If it's positive, we all have to get tested.

Just keeping her home for 10 days is less helpful than getting tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

rusty cole wrote: »

Does a tree make a noise in the forest when it falls NO, just walk on and don't listen but calling for her Job is weak and frankly snowflakey.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/ucd-student-union-calls-for-college-probe-into-professors-speech-at-patricks-day-anti-lockdown-event/ar-BB1eKnFR?li=BBr5KbJ
    seamus wrote: »
    When there's a conflict between your opinion and your job, one of them has to go.

Imagine a civil engineer who actively campaigned to have the earth recognised as flat. Or a geologist campaigning to demand the bible be recognised as historical fact.

A member of the faculty of medicine in UCD spreading lies about viral spread and public heath measures, is not fit to occupy a teaching position.

People can fvck off with this "cancel culture" bollox. Demanding that someone be fired because they're completely unfit for their job is perfectly acceptable.

Hmm. I disagree with any protests at the current time, it's best not to organise mass gatherings or be part of them. Albeit the risk seems to be low enough, previous protests don't seem to have contributed too much to case numbers.

But I agree with op that there is a bit of 'cancel culture' going on here. They don't like her message, which is their prerogative. But somehow, if one of their professors took to the stage at a BLM or violence against women protest, we would not be hearing these calls for their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arghus they do say that restrictions may be in place for other respiratory illnesses. I don't understand what that has to do with Covid.

Well, that's news to me. Can you point me to where they say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The 5k should be first measure scrapped. If it’s not, there will be anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

The 5k should be first measure scrapped. If it’s not, there will be anarchy.

But there actually won't be anarchy. We have all become so complacent. But we can't object to the 5km rule because everyone is just thrown in with the anti vax or anti lockdown crowd.

• Advertisement

According to the latest leaks cabinet split 50/50 on easing the 5km

If they keep it in place particularly in areas that have been doing well case wise then I can see more people ignoring the restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭JRant

seamus wrote: »
    Because people would rather know? And they'd rather know what to do next?

My daughter got tested yesterday. We're 99.99% sure it's a cold from going to back to school. Happens every time. But we did it anyway, because if it's negative, she can go back to school to Monday. If it's positive, we all have to get tested.

Just keeping her home for 10 days is less helpful than getting tested.

Is that within the guidelines though? Genuine question by the way as I know it's different for schools. In my workplace if you have any symptoms you need to isolate for 10 days before returning regardless of a negative test result as it can take a number of days from infection to actually testing positive.

Would I rather know? Not really being honest, unless I needed medical assistance I don't see the value in it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

But there actually won't be anarchy. We have all become so complacent. But we can't object to the 5km rule because everyone is just thrown in with the anti vax or anti lockdown crowd.

Judging by road traffic, many are not obeying it. Time to stop punishing those who are.

I’ve seen people suggest that even with 0 deaths, we’d still need to take measures to ensure people don’t get sick.

So I’d imagine there is a cohort out there who would simply prefer to stay closed permanently if it involves less health risks.

They don’t seem to acknowledge the financial side of things though.

It would be great if we could stop sales of alcohol and cigarettes, with the money in secondary care saved, we could actually have a functioning mental health support system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Unless people get tested, we won't know where the virus is within the community. If everyone just decided to seek medical advice when they absolutely had to .. the virus would be rampant. unmapped and uncontrolled.

The advice, after a year of all this, is still to get call your doc when you have symptoms and they will decide if you should get tested. Self diagnosing and staying at home on you own initiative deprives wider society of the data that is needed to deal with the still ongoing pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It would be great if we could stop sales of alcohol and cigarettes, with the money in secondary care saved, we could actually have a functioning mental health support system.

Why stop there ? Why not ban food other than potatoes and vegetables . No drinks other than water

Why stop there ? Why not ban food other than potatoes and vegetables

Potatoes aren't particularly healthy. Brown grain rice?

Yeah because prohibition would really work

The health service would be overrun with those patients having withdrawal symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why the fook haven't we got the go ahead to resume using AZ? 24 hours since the EMA gave the thumbs up and its radio silence here. Incredible levels of incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Get the impression from recent comments that we're going to be pretty disappointed by the changes made on April 5 and on from that

The increase in cases across Europe will have the government on edge too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement