Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why the fook haven't we got the go ahead to resume using AZ? 24 hours since the EMA gave the thumbs up and its radio silence here. Incredible levels of incompetence.

Because everything we do is slow ass'd f**k ups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There are at least two oversight expert groups that have to meet and sign off on the findings before passing the 'get out of jail' ass cover note to government.

It take time to go through the steps required to make sure no blame sticks to Stephen Donnelly. He won't say a word until he has someone else's words to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There are at least two oversight expert groups that have to meet and sign off on the findings before passing the 'get out of jail' ass cover note to government.

It take time to go through the steps required to make sure no blame sticks to Stephen Donnelly.

The EMA said on Tuesday they didn't see any issues with the vaccine so it was pretty well flagged what the announcement yesterday would be. The fact they couldn't organize the required meetings and sign-offs urgently is a pretty sad indictment. Another day wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The 5k should be first measure scrapped. If it’s not, there will be anarchy.

Will there now? Anarchy in Ireland seems highly unlikely imo. Surveys have shown majority are fatigued. It's a long way from there to anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Turtwig wrote: »
    Will there now? Anarchy in Ireland seems highly unlikely imo. Surveys have shown majority are fatigued. It's a long way from there to anarchy.

Not anarchy but people will just increasingly ignore it to the point it's not in actual effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But somehow, if one of their professors took to the stage at a BLM or violence against women protest, we would not be hearing these calls for their heads.
    I'm not sure why someone at a BLM protest would stand up and claim that masks reduce oxygen uptake and cause low IQ in children, but if they were part of any medical group, I would equally expect them to be ejected. It's not about where she said it, it's about what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

AdamD wrote: »
    Get the impression from recent comments that we're going to be pretty disappointed by the changes made on April 5 and on from that

The increase in cases across Europe will have the government on edge too

Did Europe close down when our cases were high? Ya makes sense - let’s preempt a new wave with a new lockdown without ever exiting this one. What will we call the new lockdown? Level 5 light? Level 5 grandé, Level 5 forever?
    Clearly the population are behind destroying our economy, society and futures to curb the spread of this lethal Black Death. We all need to do more didn’t you hear.
    Just don’t look up north, to the uk, to the European travel certificate proposal or to the US and you’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Turtwig wrote: »

Ok mass disobedience might be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It would be great if we could stop sales of alcohol and cigarettes, with the money in secondary care saved, we could actually have a functioning mental health support system.

It would be great if people would just surrender every aspect of their lives to the government, who can mete out basic nutrition for the greater good of society and prohibit any unhealthy activites. No alcohol, cigarettes or obesity would take the strain off the healthcare system.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It would be great if people would just surrender every aspect of their lives to the government, who can mete out basic nutrition for the greater good of society and prohibit any unhealthy activites. No alcohol, cigarettes or obesity would take the strain off the healthcare system.

You are getting the picture now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

JRant wrote: »
    I can't understand why so many people are still putting themselves forward for testing. If you have flu like symptoms stay home for 10 days. If you need medical care they give you a test anyway.

And if people stay home from work for 10+ days without contacting gp, what are they going to live on? And if households have kids in school or creche, it would be wreckless to just stay home and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The 5km seems to bother others a lot more than it does me. I'd much prefer to see reopenings that allow people to get back their jobs (e.g. construction/outdoor dining), or see families, rather than ones that would just allow me to go for a walk somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The 5km seems to bother others a lot more than it does me. I'd much prefer to see reopenings that allow people to get back their jobs (e.g. construction/outdoor dining), or see families, rather than ones that would just allow me to go for a walk somewhere else.

Bollox to walking somewhere, I just want be able to drive the other side of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Russman wrote: »
    Whatever about labelling people lockdown supporters or not (spoiler alert, nobody actually likes lockdowns), regarding whether its acceptable, I genuinely think most people realise we're in the middle of a probably one in a hundred year event and extraordinary measures are required, inconvenient though they are. We can't just say "...global pandemic ? Nah, its ok, doesn't suit me this week, I'll give it a miss, thanks...."
    Our government has broadly followed what most western governments have done. Yes there have been mistakes made, of course there have, especially around inbound travel and a few other things, everyone is learnign on the hoof, but we've by and large been on the same track as our peer countries. There have been differences in the details of restrictions just as there are differences in the cultures of countries. Some have curfews, we don't, some have restaurants open, we don't etc etc. but its all within a restrictions approach to a virus. We've been fairly light touch with regard to the actual enforcement of the restrictions.

I dunno, I mean what's a workable alternative ? Its been asserted many times that you can't effectively shield any cohort of society. That's not to say I think L5 should be indefinite, but I also don't know enough about viruses and epidemiology and modelling to contradict the people who do.

I should have clarified my initial question. I'm not against lockdowns and actually believe they work when used appropriately. The problem that we have now is that we've used them to death and now face the risk of using them long-passed their useful lifespan.

More and more people are not adhering and this will only get worse as the weather improves, cases won't get any lower than they are now. The answer to this isn't longer restrictions yet that's exactly what I feel is going to happen.

My question was more-so aimed at individuals who are supporting a continuous lockdown passed Easter & beyond based on current case numbers. I believe we're at a balance point now where any prolonging of the current restrictions passed Easter are doing more harm than good in the context of the bigger picture. It literally scares me that people don't realize that and are quite happy to go with further lockdowns at this point. It would make you truly fear the zombified attitude towards figures of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

The 5km restriction means I can’t meet family in a park for a walk. I don’t want to meet indoors, just to be able to meet family for a stroll would be nice.

The 5km restriction means I can’t meet family in a park for a walk. I don’t want to meet indoors, just to be able to meet family for a stroll would be nice.

Serious question, why are you still adhering to the arbitrary 5k travel radius?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It's the lack of any real science behind that one that annoys people. I think they have to move to allow county wide travel and outdoor meet ups in garden with one other family. Yes some small risks associated but at this stage I would treat that risk as being like the school risk - a necessary evil. I think post Easter not allowing this as a minimum just won't wash / will lead to mental health issues / disobedience / breakdown in compliance/ respect for Covid restrictions generally.

Only possible variation might be to do it county by county.
    Several counties including my own now at less than 50 cases per 100,000 which is equivalent to less than the 200 cases per day nationally we were told was the goal.

But it probably does mean best case scenario is holding cases at 500 throughout the summer (though hopefully vaccines will cause a downward effect at some point). Worst case is numbers get over 1000 and sadly that will mean back to present restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Monster249 wrote: »
    Serious question, why are you still adhering to the arbitrary 5k travel radius?

To be fair... and the 5k is driving me INSANE... some people are either too close to a regular checkpoint or too afraid to confront a Garda with a "valid" reason...

I know one thing - I'm hitting the road from Easter onward.

A LOT of graves to be visited, Garda! ;)

If stopped (presumably on your own) outside your "5k" just say that you are in a support bubble with that family member. Off you trot. Thank me later!

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hooked wrote: »

............Thank me later!

Like when yer in a hospital bed dying maybe ?

Being bored of lockdown doesn't give you immunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

gctest50 wrote: »

Ffs

Assuming the poster is not part of the vulnerable cohort, the chances of that happening are minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,552 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Mirror

Tullamore in Co Offaly now has the worst rate of Covid-19 in Ireland with a 14-day incidence of just below 500.

Latest figures show that the 14-day incidence rate for Covid-19 cases per 100,000 of the population is 150.8 - but the Offaly town dwarfs that.

Leitrim, Kerry and Cork, are among the best counties, with their incidence rates far below the average, at less than 50 per 100,000.

It comes after Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn insisted on Thursday that the country will continue to take a cautious approach to reopening the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It bothers me because the 4 parks within 5kms are jam packed .I could walk on a near empty beach in peace if they lift it .

No... but having had Covid (very mild illness thankfully), being of above average intelligence, and also falling into the 1% (under 45's) chance of actually dying from it... (this weeks data) I'll assess the RISK, and take my chances.

You realise that 1% of 4,500 deaths is 45 people. In a year.
    And 45 as a % of the population is a 0.0009% death rate

I suppose I should hide under my bed and wait for
    "the man on the telly" to tell me it's ok to go outside...

Bored of lockdown?

How bout bored of hiding from something that has an almost zero % chance of actually killing you!!!

Jesus Wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Not sure it's been posted earlier, with all the travel talk and restrictions.... T'is like the travel & restrictions thread.
    But 43 new admissions/new cases in hospitals at 11am, highest figure since 21st Feb.

Monster249 wrote: »
    Assuming the poster is not part of the vulnerable cohort, the chances of that happening are minute.

Exactly - See above reply.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Not sure it's been posted earlier, with all the travel talk and restrictions.... T'is like the travel & restrictions thread.
    But 43 new admissions/new cases in hospitals at 11am, highest figure since 21st Feb.

Its total new confirmed cases. It was admissions on 21 February. Not really comparableeven though its on the same graph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone know of an automated twitter account for case numbers ?

I know Department of health tweets them but I'm just looking for numbers.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Well, that's news to me. Can you point me to where they say this?

I'm on phone. Let me see can I attach a screenshot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement