Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Looking good for my area south east Cavan. Always get the rewards from a good easterly

Yes remember we where in a yellow warning during the BFTE. Meath was red but we eventually went red after we where knee high in snow

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    At the end of March 2013 a massive blizzard across North had snow lying weeks later. 137,000 customers lost power and winds gusted to 69pmh. Drifts were crazy too. Places cut off and an estimated 3,000 animals died. So yeah if all goes to plan frontal systems dumps can be felt for a long time afterwards. I've always wondered what would happen if one of those crazy events happened in December. How long it could stick around.

This is the unfortunate part that people often forget about
    Mountain farmers have become savvy mostly to the risks but can be caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

2018 snow event really was superb. Loved standing on the coast road in Dublin just watching the constant streamers brining in endless snow from the Irish Sea. I went out one night into it and all the roads right on the coastline covered in a thick blanket of snow with not a car to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

I was unlucky during the 2018 event - we had maybe 5cm of lying snow and during Emma we had very little new snowfall, seemed to pass to the north and south of us! Fingers crossed that this may produce a decent accumulation for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Paso Fino wrote: »
    I was unlucky during the 2018 event - we had maybe 5cm of lying snow and during Emma we had very little new snowfall, seemed to pass to the north and south of us! Fingers crossed that this may produce a decent accumulation for me!
    Emma was dire to track on radar, so much phantom precipitation and understated snowfall... I can't wait for Met Éireann radar upgrades, we needed them years ago + an extra base in Mayo or Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

As soon as I see a weather event posted by Kermit I get super excited :D But dare I get excited about this one, given we got no snow in D22 last week or so ago, but no doubt I will be lamp post watching over the weekend:)

Great job & a big thank you to everybody who is adding their input, I use this forum like my weather bible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This looks a very different animal to a couple of weeks ago. In D5 we got great snow in that recent snow event and I didn’t think we would see a repeat as good again this winter. Here is hoping this really delivers and gives a lot more people a share of the spoils. Fingers crossed, certainly will beat looking out at rain!

quote="mumo3;116151190"]As soon as I see a weather event posted by Kermit I get super excited :D But dare I get excited about this one, given we got no snow in D22 last week or so ago, but no doubt I will be lamp post watching over the weekend:)

Great job & a big thank you to everybody who is adding their input, I use this forum like my weather bible!![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

mumo3 wrote: »
    As soon as I see a weather event posted by Kermit I get super excited :D But dare I get excited about this one, given we got no snow in D22 last week or so ago, but no doubt I will be lamp post watching over the weekend:)

Great job & a big thank you to everybody who is adding their input, I use this forum like my weather bible!!

I don't wanna jinx it, but D22 should get snow from an easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

March 3rd 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

is it too early to be pulling up and re-watching some old 2010 videos to get into the mood? :pac::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MvgCXRDhmw&ab_channel=luisAvilesOrtiz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

County Waterford . We got HUGE snow during Emma , we had a nice bit of snow early in the week and then I think it was the Thursday night the big stuff came .I will never forget opening the front door on that Friday morning , our front wall is nearly 4ft high and we could barely see it from the snow drifts , the snow was nearly waist high ! The dog got such a fright when I opened the door to bring her out for toilet that she didn’t even turn around she just walked backwards very quickly away from the door and went back to bed 🀣 that was a epic week snow wise here , it was amazing !
    During the 2010 snow I think it started snowing here during November and whilst it didn’t snow many days it was so cold that on Xmas day we still had some lying snow here , and while it was nice I much rather the fierce fast quick event from 2018 . Is Waterford in line for any of this snow next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thewife wrote: »
    County Waterford . We got HUGE snow during Emma , we had a nice bit of snow early in the week and then I think it was the Thursday night the big stuff came .... Is Waterford in line for any of this snow next week ?

Depends on wind direction for Irish sea streamers but you should get some. If we get a sliding low pressure crossing the south coast later next week you could get a big dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im supposed to fly out to the Canaries next week.

Does anyone know if flights will be affected by this?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Its probably time to lock up your diggers.. don't want any lidl's disappearing this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

pauldry wrote: »
    Im supposed to fly out to the Canaries next week.

Does anyone know if flights will be affected by this?

:P

I'd say snow will be the least of your worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Emma was dire to track on radar, so much phantom precipitation and understated snowfall... I can't wait for Met Éireann radar upgrades, we needed them years ago + an extra base in Mayo or Donegal.

Didn't the entire country get pasted with significant snowfall during Emma? I have relatives in Kerry and Galway who got heaps (and who normally never get snow) as we did here in Dublin too. I assumed because it was frontal snow and the whole country had red warning status that it was a nationwide significant snow event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ongarboy wrote: »
    Didn't the entire country get pasted with significant snowfall during Emma? I have relatives in Kerry and Galway who got heaps (and who normally never get snow) as we did here in Dublin too. I assumed because it was frontal snow and the whole country had red warning status that it was a nationwide significant snow event.

West Mayo only saw a few cm of snow, Ophelia and Emma were both damp squibs here but at least we see are guaranteed to see snow at least once or twice a year even if it does not stick around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Its probably time to lock up your diggers.. don't want any lidl's disappearing this time...

Ahh..the oul' jokes are getting dug up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

AuntySnow wrote: »
    As a surviver of January 1982 and Emma,I beg to differ
    Snow on the ground for a month on both occasions
    In March 2018,topped up 2 weeks after on March 18th
    A lot of Actual blizzards, white outs and 10 foot drifts on both occasions just 2kms from the coast
    Arklow was cut off in January 82 by road and rail
    Power out for 4 days
    The town was briefly cut off also in December 2010
    Right beside the sea but that one was a showers event

In 1982 we didn't get out until 17th march on our lane, was a drift that turned into a rock hard ice pyramid, high up in the mountains. no car could pass that way. Had to go a different route.

Paso Fino wrote: »

I got just a few cm on the Dublin coast as well. It was snowing all night and morning but it clearly drifted to Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I was out for my walk earlier and there's a lovely mild feel to the air. But somethings brewing and looking at the models and reading posts by the more experienced folk in here, we are in for a bit of a treat. I was always quietly optimistic that things were going to come together around mid week. In fact I mentioned it to a neighbour on Monday and this morning he let a big shout at me when he drove by me on the road about getting the shovels ready! He obviously heard the Met Eireann 7.55 forecast.

Not expecting big snowfall in Donegal but if we get the wind direction right, we could see potent streamers coming in. Even just a few cms of snow and a few hard frosts will do me. It lifts the spirit.

brookers wrote: »
    In 1982 we didn't get out until 17th march on our lane, was a drift that turned into a rock hard ice pyramid, high up in the mountains. no car could pass that way. Had to go a different route.

2 months?

I know it froze solidly after the blizzard but wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Can we just agree on one thing, jokes about bread are not funny anymore, i'd question if they were ever funny.

I am not too bothered if we don't get snow from this in Galway, as much as I love it. I'll take some dry cold to help the garden recover, its like a swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I was out for my walk earlier and there's a lovely mild feel to the air. But somethings brewing and looking at the models and reading posts by the more experienced folk in here, we are in for a bit of a treat. I was always quietly optimistic that things were going to come together around mid week. In fact I mentioned it to a neighbour on Monday and this morning he let a big shout at me when he drove by me on the road about getting the shovels ready! He obviously heard the Met Eireann 7.55 forecast.

Not expecting big snowfall in Donegal but if we get the wind direction right, we could see potent streamers coming in. Even just a few cms of snow and a few hard frosts will do me. It lifts the spirit.

Agreed, was out for a walk a while ago and it felt very mild, flat calm and sunny. Dare I say it... springlike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Only tuning into this now.
    We live in the North-East. How likely is it that we get snow?
    Would really love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Can we just agree on one thing, jokes about bread are not funny anymore, i'd question if they were ever funny.

I am not too bothered if we don't get snow from this in Galway, as much as I love it. I'll take some dry cold to help the garden recover, its like a swamp.

Dublin 15 (Castleknock/Blanch) got 60 cm of snow in 2018 (official Met Eireann stats) with massive drifts.... Several feet high in some places....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin 15 (Castleknock/Blanch) got 60 cm of snow in 2018 (official Met Eireann stats) with massive drifts.... Several feet high in some places....

I love Kerry but the problem is it hardly ever snow there except for high ground.... ..

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

4wi9el.jpg

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Mimon wrote: »
    Grew up in Bailieborough in the 80's, was a great spot. The high ground helped there also.

Yes Bailieborough is I believe the highest urban town in Ireland at 150 metres I think, it's always good for snow in marginal situations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

piplip87 wrote: »
    Yes remember we where in a yellow warning during the BFTE. Meath was red but we eventually went red after we where knee high in snow

Ye south east Cavan did well. But travel up the N3 towards Cavan town there was only half the amount of snow, we were under a streamer for a good 48 hours, good times !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement