Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

More snow than anywhere in 2018?? Kildare, Wicklow and even Wexford got the most. Parts of Dublin got a lot too. I recall cork getting some but nowhere near what fell in the east

Actually you are both correct in a way. For the first 3 days, i.e. the streamers, Cork arguably got the most as there was a 200km fetch from south of Wales and there was pretty much a streamer train for 3 days. Places out by the Old Head of Kinsale had 6 feet drifts before storm Emma. Im in suburbia and I had 40cm in the middle my garden before storm Emma (and plenty more evaporated). But storm Emma really only added a little down here, we got that floating glitter, so by the end of the spell the places you mention certainly had the most.

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment about it being wrong to say Cork would miss out again. Since Jan 2010 we have had 3 notable (days off school) snow events (Inc. 10 Jan 2010 when a southerly system stalled over us and we got 12 hours of snow not received anywhere else) and loads of other days with lying snow. Most winters we get some transient lying snow at worst off some slider system. We went 6 years without any snow from Christmas day 2004 to Jan 2010 that gave rise to the Cork Snow Shield jokes on here, but there have been plenty worse places on the Island for snow since.

In terms of next week though, I don't like the uppers down here. We are on the fringes of -8s only. If you want sure snow next week, take Dublin and Wicklow every time on current charts. For Munster it's risk and reward though. We may miss out totally, but equally we are first in line if there was an Atlantic battleground so could end up buried up to our necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ha ha, took my meds this morning, all looking good...

In all seriousness though, battleground does have the risk of milder weather washing out the cold from time to time. But it's risk v reward. The reward for snow lovers could be great. Could be, potentially yada yada...

Yeah could be big reward but very rarely works out well and ends any cold period. Will be an interesting 10 days ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Will the North West get much snow from this? :confused :)

The East is in the best position to benefit at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Be patient like the rest of us if you want an accurate answer/forecast
    This one will go down to the wire

Cold yes
    How cold - we will see
    How much snow - we don't know yet

If you haven't seen them check out MTs forecast it will give you an idea just how tricky this has been for our experts here and at the met offices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

North Donegal Inishowen, buncrana areas will if its like 2018. The majority of the rest of NW won't see a single flake if its like 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    North Donegal Inishowen, buncrana areas will if its like 2018. The majority of the rest of NW won't see a single flake if its like 2018.

Boo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That was painful , in the end I was nearly glad to see the atlantic break through to end the suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

highdef wrote: »
    I don't think we're likely to see scenes such as those in the attached video I made in 2018 in North Kildare, close to the Meath border.

Brilliant video thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Well the GFS 6z, I am liking it so far, the cold uppers are in across Ireland almost 24 hours later, and by Monday morning the whole country is enveloped in cold. Due to stronger high pressure in Greenland the undercutting of low pressures systems is looking cleaner. An upgrade again in the earlier frames at least,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Well the GFS 6z, I am liking it so far, the cold uppers are in across Ireland almost 24 hours later, and by Monday morning the whole country is enveloped in cold. Due to stronger high pressure in Greenland the undercutting of low pressures systems is looking cleaner. An upgrade again in the earlier frames at least,

The range of outcomes post 144hrs on each GFS run is staggering. The NH profile is entirely different on every run. It's not usually like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Zogabomb wrote: »
    Yep he is, for Met Eireann.

Matt is actually working for Met Eireann?!? Any proof of this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

You would know there was something in the offing the weather forum currently has at the time of typing 371 (116 members & 255 guests) watching this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

I spy with my little eye lows trending further south. Good to keep the easterly flow sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bray Seafront didn't do well from the BFTE and Emma in 2018. The rest of Bray did fantastic from Emma.

All of Bray got 2-3 inches from sporadic Streamers before Emma hit. The Pesky IOM or Angelsey Shadow screwed us out of anything more. In other words, while there may have been several days of Streamer activity on the east coast before Emma, I think Bray got under 1 streamer for about 2 hours in total and thats where we got our 2-3 inches.

Then Emma hit. Most of Bray a few hundred meters back from the Seafront and up on higher ground in Bray got buried in Snow and drifts. However the Gale Force winds of Emma lifted Salty Sea Spray aloft and effectively spread natures de-icer for the first few hundred metres inland along with the dumping of Blizzard snow. So in the vicinity of the seafront it was melting as fast as it was falling and our snow levels never grew past that 2-3 inches we already had from the streamers. In fact it ruined the 2-3 inches from the streamers as it water logged it and made a lot of it slushy.

So from a highly IMBY perspective down here near Bray Seafront, 2018 BFTE and Emma was a massive disappointment. Had I lived in my old gaff in Bray in the estate behind Tescos on the Vevay Road which is about 50m asl and about 1km inland, I would have been in Heaven.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Early snow warnings from UK met for Sunday/Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Reversal wrote: »
    The range of outcomes post 144hrs on each GFS run is staggering. The NH profile is entirely different on every run. It's not usually like that.
    With the lack of a true Scandi High, it's especially difficult to forecast this. I'm not ramping this for after Monday just because of how unusual the synoptics are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next week: Current indications suggest it will turn very cold next week with widespread frost and ice. Falls of sleet and snow are expected, especially in Leinster, with significant accumulations possible. c/o Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Probably not if being realistic, but theres always a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If this turns out not to be brief, winds will probably go to the north at some stage. You could benefit from frontal snow events too, but if systems get as far as the very north west it could mean the mild air wins out. Ideally We need to see systems stalling then moving back south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looks like I was right to order Yaktrax snowgrips for the family after the 2 inches we got at the beginning of January. Just a pity I forgot to warn the oul fella to let me know when the work van tyres needed changing so I could order some Michelin CrossClimates for it. He feckin bought new tyres for it 3 weeks ago without telling me. Arghh !! Might head out to Halfords in Carrickmines to pick up another pair of Snow Socks for the Van. Annoys me though because we only seem to get one snow period out of them before they are shredded which is expensive at €70 a pair. Though I guess thats better than my brother borrowing my car to collect his GF from work in Johnny Foxes in 2018 and despite several warnings from me, he failed to remove the Brand new Snowsocks off my wheels once he hit Tarmac on the N11 and shredded them after a single use. In one ear and out the other with that lad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The GFS mean is out to 138 hours now and is notably colder for that time frame than the previous 0z mean. It still has 75% of ireland below -8C upper temps. Some ensemble members are bringing in -12C uppers. Very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Looking good for my area south east Cavan. Always get the rewards from a good easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Any chance of a red warning folks

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Any chance of a red warning folks

Yeah stay at home unless absolutely necessary - as you were then;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

For our Cork friends, the 06z has a more southeasterly component which would pummel cork waterford,wexford and Aunty Snow on Tuesday as well as Eastern Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Right I am off to Thimpsons.

Its a pair of these your wanting, permagrip soles, 19.99

AuntySnow wrote: »
    For our Cork friends, the 06z has a more southeasterly component which would pummel cork waterford,wexford and Aunty Snow on Tuesday as well as Eastern Ulster

A repeat of 2018 then before Storm Emma.

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »

Aren't the temperatures looking a bit warmer for the South coast, given the wind direction?

(I don't really know how to interpret the charts!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement