Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

audman13 wrote: »
    What's the chances of Galway seeing some snow?

East galway maybe but it's not likely with an easterly. Wouldnt rule it out though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭celt262

Is this looking like a country wide snow event and when will we have the first falls if predictions come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Welcome!

Really have to wait until closer the time for those kind of details. We can't be certain at all what the wind direction will be to that scale yet.

I should of said long time frog follower also.....cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

celt262 wrote: »
    Is this looking like a country wide snow event and when will we have the first falls if predictions come through?

No, Leinster and Ulster, possibly south Munster. Timing depends on a few factors, but Monday or Tuesday seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I love Kerry but the problem is it hardly ever snow there except for high ground.... ..

Just curious...as a fellow D15er...why do you frequently add a footnote about Kerry's lack of snow to your many posts about snow in Dublin 15? What has one location with a well known milder climate 250+ kms away got to do with the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I hope the people in boards.ie put extra memory in their servers, this place is about to light up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: Any posts to do with bread jokes are best kept back to 2018. We have moved on from this. Most of us are fed up reading the same bread stories every time we have a snow event. Covid related talk is also off topic, can we just keep this about the weather. There are massive threads elsewhere on boards about covid topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    Mod Note: Any posts to do with bread jokes are best kept back to 2018. We have moved on from this. Most of us are fed up reading the same bread stories every time we have a snow event. Covid related talk is also off topic, can we just keep this about the weather. There are massive threads elsewhere on boards about covid topics.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would happily take frosty mornings and sub zero temps out West. A few dry, blue sky days would be lovely too.

I remember Feb 2020 being awful wet but then we got 3 superb months of weather in a row.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

I would happily take frosty mornings and sub zero temps out West. A few dry, blue sky days would be lovely too.

I remember Feb 2020 being awful wet but then we got 3 superb months of weather in a row.

Absolutely! While I’m a little green reading about the possible snowmageddon the East are looking forward to next week, I will welcome dry blue sky days with open arms. The ground is sodden here. A walk through the forest is not much fun when you’re slogging through trails of muck

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There is a slight moderation of the cold from wednesday on the ensemble mean for the GFS 12z compared to the 6z. We see it retreat northwards more quickly. However, there are some very cold members which sustain the cold still. Very interesting. Obviously volatile set up. The amount of energy spilling into the north atlantic state-side is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The gem especially is showing monster streamers into East England. Could they make it all the way across England and pep up again over the Irish sea or would they tend to have a negative effect on the ability of the Irish Sea to make its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can someone give a synopsis as to possible and most likely outcome for the south in all this? Seems to be a lot of talk about the east getting hefty showers, what about elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

leahyl wrote: »
    Can someone give a synopsis as to possible and most likely outcome for the south in all this? Seems to be a lot of talk about the east getting hefty showers, what about elsewhere?

All depends on wind direction. Cork could do very well out of a straight easterly or a south easterly even

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

All depends on wind direction. Cork could do very well out of a straight easterly or a south easterly even

Thanks, sometimes just seems like the rest of the country is abandoned once there’s mention of Dublin getting pasted :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Others on here would know better than me but from memory during December 2010 in particular, a lot of those heavy showers crossing England stayed relatively intact and beefed up when crossing the Irish sea. Obviously less intense showers might die out en route but the Irish sea has a habit of creating its own great streamers. Some of these often start with very little over towards Wales and England but grow intensity over the Irish sea and dump a lot over Eastern areas in particular.

Also worth remembering that the UK is not very wide in terms of landmass. Northern and Central England are narrower than Ireland in terms of width so it doesnt take an awful lot for large showers hitting the East of England to reach the Irish sea without losing too much intensity. That is my take on it but as i said others on here are far more knowedgable. I do know though that the Irish sea can produce some great snow on its own, sea effect snow or whatever you call that

The gem especially is showing monster streamers into East England. Could they make it all the way across England and pep up again over the Irish sea or would they tend to have a negative effect on the ability of the Irish Sea to make its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Thanks, sometimes just seems like the rest of the country is abandoned once there’s mention of Dublin getting pasted :-P

Agreed. Is this because most of the weather experts on here are in the Dublin region or is it just that the Dublin area is in the firing line for this event? I can never tell

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

It's nearly the end of the working day and so the crowds head to Boards to see the update regarding the SNOW.........

What I mean is that 427 people on the weather forum now.......

I remember there being almost 600 people on during 2010.....

Does anyone know the record for people on the weather forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just going by this morning's ECM, and once again, and despite the forecast cold uppers, 2m temps are still looking unspectacular. Mins of zero at best along the east coast, and about a bog standard -2 or -3 in the west, which is very underwhelming for an easterly to be frank. Perhaps in reality temps will prove to be lower given the set up; one would certainly hope so anyway.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

Just curious is this just going to be another dusting like we had 2/3 weeks ago, or are we talking Beast from the East mark 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just going by this morning's ECM, and once again, and despite the forecast cold uppers, 2m temps are still looking unspectacular. Mins of zero at best along the east coast, and about a bog standard -2 or -3 in the west, which is very underwhelming for an easterly to be frank. Perhaps in reality temps will prove to be lower given the set up; one would certainly hope so anyway.

I remember even with -12c 850hPa temps in 2018, temperatures at the seafront were still about +1 , now the wind was at force 7 and at times gale force 8 but with a strong onshore wind the impact of the maritime layer cannot be underestimated! Nonetheless I think onshore winds are looking less strong in this setup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Late Jan/Early Feb is perfect time for these events! Still get longish days to stay out enjoying it even after work hours without temps rising too much to spoil it

Nothing like these threads once an event has been locked in. Can't beat the energy , feels like being a child again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

As long as we get snow i don't care how cold it gets :)

if there is a battleground between a low tracking south and the cold air then Cork and the South will get buried. Thats possible I believe next week .

Cork Airport got almost a foot, 26 cm in Feb 1978. But drifting would have been higher. That was an Atlantic battleground situation, though I think the low was further west. Much of the rest of the country was dry.

Here's Met Eireann's monthly synopsis.

http://edepositireland.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/71003/Agromet%20Bull%207802.pdf

it could all go the proverbial tits up and turn to rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

It's nearly the end of the working day and so the crowds head to Boards to see the update regarding the SNOW.........

What I mean is that 427 people on the weather forum now.......

I remember there being almost 600 people on during 2010.....

Does anyone know the record for people on the weather forum?

End of the working day?

Been spending my working days the past few days checking this out,infact been on here more than my work system :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I am usually wrong, but I don't really see the massive potential in this one. I think the south and east will be cold enough for snow infrequently, and the west and north will be too dry. The Atlantic is a big danger of spoiling the fun too. And the jet stream may not stay as far south as we need it to. We need more consistent heights to our north to drive lows down into France. We are not going to have a block to keep the lows in the Atlantic. We need them to slide south into France giving us that lovely cold air from Easter Europe.

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    End of the working day?

Been spending my working days the past few days checking this out,infact been on here more than my work system :D

That reminds me too, to use the other computer in future :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Consonata wrote: »
    Just curious is this just going to be another dusting like we had 2/3 weeks ago, or are we talking Beast from the East mark 2

Somewhere in between at the moment but closer to BFTE. :) Although it's worth noting that a massive blizzard on the scale of Storm Emma that followed the BFTE isn't on the charts (as of right now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I hate to be one of those people that just pops up to ask about their area..but..I'm in the Midlands and we are relying on carers coming in and out for a family member so if someone had any kind of educated guess as to whether they think it could make it that far west if and when it arrives I'd be very appreciative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement