Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

If this turns out not to be brief, winds will probably go to the north at some stage. You could benefit from frontal snow events too, but if systems get as far as the very north west it could mean the mild air wins out. Ideally We need to see systems stalling then moving back south.

Frontal systems heading north are bad news for prolonged cold. Many here rave about them but they are no good.

Showers are our solution to deep snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Matt is actually working for Met Eireann?!? Any proof of this? :D
    Just to answer myself, I did a quick Google and it's true!! Good on him.

Ha ha, took my meds this morning, all looking good...

In all seriousness though, battleground does have the risk of milder weather washing out the cold from time to time. But it's risk v reward. The reward for snow lovers could be great. Could be, potentially yada yada...

Frontal systems usually have some warmer air flow through, that’s why they mostly only have snow above 200metres.

I would rather they stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Frontal systems heading north are bad news for prolonged cold. Many here rave about them but they are no good.

People here rave about them skirting the south coast which is exactly what we want them to do.

Will the North West get much snow from this? :confused :)

If winds are NE we can see snow yes. Though it’ll mostly be hit or miss and weakened showers.

Our best chance is through a trough which will increase instability across a wide area.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Aren't the temperatures looking a bit warmer for the South coast, given the wind direction?

(I don't really know how to interpret the charts!)

The source feed is cold
    All the open sea should do is create big showers which should be snow
    Basically the south easterly is just a bend in the source wind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just to answer myself, I did a quick Google and it's true!! Good on him.

I do with he came along here with one of his old style charts showing most of the country buried under the sneachta, good times :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snow on the South coast is just about okay on the projected pattern. It's marginal but an onshore wind should help ppn. Swings & roundabouts

Supercell wrote: »
    I do with he came along here with one of his old style charts showing most of the country buried under the sneachta, good times :)

I guess he can't post here any more given he works with the big boys now. I've never met someone more passionate about meteorology in my life.

As a surviver of January 1982 and Emma,I beg to differ
    Snow on the ground for a month on both occasions
    In March 2018,topped up 2 weeks after on March 18th
    A lot of Actual blizzards, white outs and 10 foot drifts on both occasions just 2kms from the coast
    Arklow was cut off in January 82 by road and rail
    Power out for 4 days
    The town was briefly cut off also in December 2010
    Right beside the sea but that one was a showers event

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly (i was quite young) 1982 came in (frontal?)waves, at the time I recollect tobogganing down from Dalkey hill carpark and seeing Howth in the distance with no snow coverage to my amazement though that changed a day later. Don't know if that was frontal or IOM shadow, have never seen snow like like it except when I lived in Annamoe in the Wicklow mountains for a few years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I guess he can't post here any more given he works with the big boys now. I've never met someone more passionate about meteorology in my life.

I agree, absolutely delighted for him that he saw it though successfully, not everyone gets to work in an area they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Looking good for my area south east Cavan. Always get the rewards from a good easterly

Grew up in Bailieborough in the 80's, was a great spot. The high ground helped there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

Mimon wrote: »
    Grew up in Bailieborough in the 80's, was a great spot. The high ground helped there also.

I think its the second highest town in Ireland. I could be wrong on that.

Mimon wrote: »
    Hills to slide down, to beat the band. Probably the snowiest non-mountainous place on this island.

Longing wrote: »
    I think its the second highest town in Ireland. I could be wrong on that.

Used to hear that but there are a few small villages higher. Definitely the highest place over 2000 people though.

Hills to slide down, to beat the band. Probably the snowiest non-mountainous place on this island.

There was one called English's hill that was nearly vertical and I would be sliding down it all day. Pity about travel restrictions as my kids would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Hey could set up a new account. And slip us info... Weathernotcheck... nobody will ever suspect its him..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

When is this potential snow if it hits cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

You are correct re frontal systems, if they continue moving north. But they can stall, and push back south in these scenarios. A rarity, I'll grant you, but these slider lows provide a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hey could set up a new account. And slip us info... Weathernotcheck... nobody will ever suspect its him..

I'm here long enough to remember when Weathercheck was the cocky Weather fanatic Junior Certer like SryanBruen is now......scratch that, I'm here long enough to remember when university attending weather fanatic SryanBruen was a weather fanatic junior certer......

Feck it, I'm getting old!! I've now seen several generations of cocky weather fanatic junior certers pass through here now at this stage!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AuntySnow wrote: »
    A lot of Actual blizzards, white outs and 10 foot drifts on both occasions just 2kms from the coast
    Power out for 4 days

At the end of March 2013 a massive blizzard across North had snow lying weeks later. 137,000 customers lost power and winds gusted to 69pmh. Drifts were crazy too. Places cut off and an estimated 3,000 animals died. So yeah if all goes to plan frontal systems dumps can be felt for a long time afterwards. I've always wondered what would happen if one of those crazy events happened in December. How long it could stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    When is this potential snow if it hits cork?

From Monday onwards the risk grows. Far too early yet to be specific.

Supercell wrote: »
    I agree, absolutely delighted for him that he saw it though successfully, not everyone gets to work in an area they love.

Is he doing the RTÉ forecasts also? I'm never near a TV or radio these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Power out for 4 days

Snow on the ground for a month after Storm Emma? Only on very high ground in the Wicklow mountains surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SnizzleSky

Snow on the ground for a month after Storm Emma? Only on very high ground in the Wicklow mountains surely?
    Aughrim cut off for several days in both events. You out towards curranstown Aunty snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is he doing the RTÉ forecasts also? I'm never near a TV or radio these days.

Apparently he did the 7.55 on Morning Ireland this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Apparently he did the 7.55 on Morning Ireland this morning....

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21903382

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

gerrybhoy wrote: »

Gerry Murphy will be calling him into his office..

• Advertisement

SnizzleSky wrote: »
    Aughrim cut off for several days in both events. You out towards curranstown Aunty snow.

Near enough;)
    Yes snow on the ground here from Emma 62 metres asl for most of March near Arklow
    10ft drifts at the height of Emma blocking the roads
    We had about 2.5 feet of level snow where it hadn't drifted in the yard here at the height of the storm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement