Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ongarboy wrote: »
    Didn't the entire country get pasted with significant snowfall during Emma? I have relatives in Kerry and Galway who got heaps (and who normally never get snow) as we did here in Dublin too. I assumed because it was frontal snow and the whole country had red warning status that it was a nationwide significant snow event.
    I'm just talking about the Radar :D it is very hard to track widespread snow events like Emma with whatever tech Met Éireann currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Near enough;)
    Yes snow on the ground here from Emma 62 metres asl for most of March near Arklow
    10ft drifts at the height of Emma blocking the roads
    We had about 2.5 feet of level snow where it hadn't drifted in the yard here at the height of the storm

Just between Aughrim and Rathdrum myself but at one of the lowest elevations in the immediate area at 200 feet. My neighbour told me that in 2010 our road was impassable for over a week and with Storm Emma our road wasn't too bad but it's uphill every direction out of here so it was fun trying to get to shops and that. We only moved here the summer after Storm Emma so missed that fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin 15 (Castleknock/Blanch) got 60 cm of snow in 2018 (official Met Eireann stats) with massive drifts.... Several feet high in some places....
    Can confirm. Outrageous depths of snow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hopefully this works out to everyone's expectations. It looks like an interesting event evolving. Remember, this can be fickle though! Don't take anything for granted yet. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Hopefully this works out to everyone's expectations. It looks like an interesting event evolving. Remember, this can be fickle though! Don't take anything for granted yet. :D

When are you doing your real thread kermit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Moscow will be down as low as -25 this coming week. I know it’s always cold there but that is fairly bitter cold. Serious cold pool forming over northern and Eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

But have your mittens to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

From an IMBY view (Dublin), the ECM would be most ideal. GFS/UKMO toying with an ESE'ly wind direction.

Anglesey/N.Wales will come into play then for parts of the East coast. The Isle of Man is not the only thing that can fudge things up. The joys of an east based winds, little differences bring other parts into play. Cork/Waterford/Wexford/S.Wicklow etc could do very well with and ESE wind along with Louth/Down etc.

I think Calibos has an example somewhere of Anglesey/N Wales causing issues, alongside his middle finger/IOM shadow :D

EDIT: More organised precip/frontal events can bypass this and give everyone a nice dose.b

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

What's the chances of Galway seeing some snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Kermit applying the brakes a little to the rollercoaster, the actions of an amphibian well versed in the art of starting event threads. Reputation on the line every time you do :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin 15 (Castleknock/Blanch) got 60 cm of snow in 2018 (official Met Eireann stats) with massive drifts.... Several feet high in some places....

Correct, I think in some places it was fairly deeper, especially at the green down from the Carpenter, also down by the station, was tremendous being out and about in hat with my kids, not expecting anything similar to it but a good lashing of snow would be magic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Can we just agree on one thing, jokes about bread are not funny anymore, i'd question if they were ever funny.

I am not too bothered if we don't get snow from this in Galway, as much as I love it. I'll take some dry cold to help the garden recover, its like a swamp.

Dough we're all tired of them, and it's chaffing at this point, as the seeds of these jokes lie in 2018 BFTE, they continue to get baked into currant discussions at every opportunity.

Re snow, I spent €600 on BFG Urban Terrains in summer 2019 to replace having 2 sets of tyres (off-road winters and soccer mom tarmac). So I NEED serious snow Kermit please.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Kermit applying the brakes a little to the rollercoaster, the actions of an amphibian well versed in the art of starting event threads. Reputation on the line every time you do :P

This is just a hobby for me. I don't mind. There are others better versed in the fine art of meteorology here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This is just a hobby for me. I don't mind. There are others better versed in the fine art of meteorology here.

You can ribbit that...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

John.Icy wrote: »
    From an IMBY view (Dublin), the ECM would be most ideal. GFS/UKMO toying with an ESE'ly wind direction.

Anglesey/N.Wales will come into play then for parts of the East coast. The Isle of Man is not the only thing that can fudge things up. The joys of an east based winds, little differences bring other parts into play. Cork/Waterford/Wexford/S.Wicklow etc could do very well with and ESE wind along with Louth/Down etc.

I think Calibos has an example somewhere of Anglesey/N Wales causing issues, alongside his middle finger/IOM shadow :D

EDIT: More organised precip/frontal events can bypass this and give everyone a nice dose.b

I've noticed that south east flow on a few runs. Not great for my location. But others will do well from it.

When are you doing your real thread kermit?

I'm thinking of opening a thread like this in the "farming and forestry" forum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I've noticed that south east flow on a few runs. Not great for my location. But others will do well from it.

Without getting too excited ,the prospect of a south east flow in this set up sounds like we're in for fun here On the Blackstairs Mountains next week.

We're 150 m ASL and usually do well in most set ups once there is an eastern component of any kind.
    In 2018 we'd feet of snow and drifts 6 or 7 feet high.
    I'll be watching this one closely over the next few days .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just between Aughrim and Rathdrum myself but at one of the lowest elevations in the immediate area at 200 feet. My neighbour told me that in 2010 our road was impassable for over a week and with Storm Emma our road wasn't too bad but it's uphill every direction out of here so it was fun trying to get to shops and that. We only moved here the summer after Storm Emma so missed that fun!
    Councils were a lot more prepared for 2018, than they were for 2010. There's no comparison pre and post 2010 in that respect where I am in Wicklow anyway. The main regional road was regularly icy pre-2010, subsequent winters the gritters are going any hint of ice. Only very occasional issues with a section done by a different depot.

My father in law was laughing at some of the "stranded" posts in 2018 on the facebook groups after a day or two, remembering how bad it was in 1982!

barney 20v wrote: »
    Without getting too excited ,the prospect of a south east flow in this set up sounds like we're in for fun here On the Blackstairs Mountains next week.

We're 150 m ASL and usually do well in most set ups once there is an eastern component of any kind.
    In 2018 we'd feet of snow and drifts 6 or 7 feet high.
    I'll be watching this one closely over the next few days .

Fetc Fetch Fetch
    It really is that simple
    All the liw 850s need is water
    In 2018 South wexford did well because the direct easterly got that
    A southeasterly would do the same when pressure is low enough especially sub 1020mb
    Better in fact,longer Fetch
    Same on all the east coast to just about South Dublin but best in wexford Cork I think and waterford in the southeasterly Scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hopefully, in an unstable flow, a trough or two could pop up so that other areas less favoured could get in on the action. Well this is assuming we get a cold and snowy outcome. If we still have cross model agreement by tomorrow evening, i will be a bit shocked if it goes pear shaped after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm thinking of opening a thread like this in the "farming and forestry" forum. ;)

They'll love you for it! :p

(Keep up the good work Kermit and folks. Big fan of ye's all.)

I've been trying my damnest to get them all looking at weather sites, models and forecasts. But for most (and myself) it's this forum and the contributions are the first port of call.

Keep her lit.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Hopefully, in an unstable flow, a trough or two could pop up so that other areas less favoured could get in on the action. Well this is assuming we get a cold and snowy outcome. If we still have cross model agreement by tomorrow evening, i will be a bit shocked if it goes pear shaped after that.

Or a change in wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ICON 12z has no end in sight to the cold :D

Now watch the GFS go and spoil it all :P

Villain wrote: »
    ICON 12z has no end in sight to the cold :D

Now watch the GFS go and spoil it all :P

Nope Villian. I'm sure we are good to go now. May be minor discrepancies but this bad boy is on it's way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Only tuning into this now.
    We live in the North-East. How likely is it that we get snow?
    Would really love it !

The wind direction will be key for snow from Dublin to Louth, as we will have the IOM and Ulster shadows to contend with. Hopefully we can get variable winds so that no one area is stuck under a shadow the entire time! No point in worrying about this just yet until the event is locked in but generally Dublin to Wexford does better in a direct easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Looooong time weather boards lurker, first time poster!! Quick q for any of the enthusiasts in here. A ENE which is being metioned, who is in line for a IOM shadow?? Storm Emma was ENE am I right in thinking??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nope Villian. I'm sure we are good to go now. May be minor discrepancies but this bad boy is on it's way

Is it wrong that this has got me so excited :D..I missed the snow in 2018 as I was in hospital for the whole thing. I’m leaving my outdoor lights in place so that we can light it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Does seem to be all upgrades for the last 48 hours. Still time to go pear shaped but it is certainly looking good.

Does seem to be all upgrades for the last 48 hours. Still time to go pear shaped but it is certainly looking good.

Don't say that :D

• Advertisement

Looooong time weather boards lurker, first time poster!! Quick q for any of the enthusiasts in here. A ENE which is being metioned, who is in line for a IOM shadow?? Storm Emma was ENE am I right in thinking??

Welcome!

Really have to wait until closer the time for those kind of details. We can't be certain at all what the wind direction will be to that scale yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement