Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Things I've learned this week...

-Easterlies guarantee nothing.
    -Deep cold and low dew points guarantee nothing.
    -The ignore button is your friend.
    -Most people have no idea what an actual blizzard looks like.
    -Shadows, sea fetch and shields are very real.
    -These events can be heart-breaking if you get too attached.

I will bring up a point I have raised a number of times over the years. Posting on the technical thread should be restricted to members with 100+ posts in the weather forums. Immediately gets rid of the agitators who turn up and spoil these threads time and time again. It is done on many forums (outside of boards.ie) with great affect. It means you have one stop thread for actual details/charts/forecasts from respected posters.

The chat thread could be kept open for all the usual against the grain type posts/posters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind is blowing snow into curls the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Pretty heavy stuff here Tyrone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Some people love to exaggerate depths or conveniently measure in drifts.

10 am Ulster depths

7 cm Castlederg
    6 cm Thomastown
    1 cm Lough Fea

Yeah there’s no six inches here. Probably not even on the hills either.

I think we’ve probably had 2-3 cm fall at best. Though the gaps are filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Some impressive photos the last few pages. Meanwhile 8c here with DPs of 7c so a different world....oh and lots and lots of rain. Its all ahead of ye;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

inthehat wrote: »
    No snow in Kilkenny either yesterday or overnight :( but bitterly cold and windy. We got a few sleety showers and a light dusting that was gone in minutes. Probably some on higher ground alright.

An unusual satellite pic at the moment.....is that a cloudless streak?

It looks strange but it's just the shadow cast from the edge of the higher cloud onto the lower cloud. This link shows you the different temperatures (heights).

https://meteologix.com/ie/satellite/ireland/top-alert-15min/20210213-1000z.html

Some impressive photos the last few pages. Meanwhile 8c here with DPs of 7c so a different world....oh and lots and lots of rain. Its all ahead of ye;)

It’s supposed to be all snow here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back to rain/sleet now in Dublin 16. 1.5c atm. Lying snow is melting rapidly. 1.6mm so far in the gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

dm09 wrote: »
    Still coming down hard in South Down, about a foot in drifts

No snow here in Dublin 8. Mad the difference. Looking at your picture I think we can say we definitely got away with again this time..

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Back to rain/sleet now in Dublin 16. 1.5c atm. Lying snow is melting rapidly. 1.6mm so far in the gauge.

Real mix here
    Raining moderately now but full snow 10 mins ago
    Full rain before that, snow before that etc
    Cars are stuck on the high ground west of here
    Up around that area,from videos sent there's a good 3 or 4 inches
    Nearly all cover gone here,just on the car and grass a strong but fading sugar coating

• Advertisement

So I don’t think I’m going to get much out of this. When is our next cold spell? Praying that it will be more potent than this.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    So I don’t think I’m going to get much out of this. When is our next cold spell? Praying that it will be more potent than this.

Magilligan seems to be reporting heavy snow for the past couple of hours. You must be in the Sperrin shadows.

Magilligan seems to be reporting heavy snow for the past couple of hours. You must be in the Sperrin shadows.

It is snowing here but it’s so windy and dry snow that it’s not accumulating greatly.

And it’s kind of icy snow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

Plenty of snow in letterkenny. The best snow we have had in quite a while. At least 5 to 7cm and still coming down nicely. Enjoying it before a thaw sets in later. Shame it cant last a full day or a few but happy enough. Temp steady at 0c. And a gusty wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dewpoint has gone above zero for the first time in ages

Earlier here on the wicklow wexford border

Screenshot_20210213-083901_WhatsApp.jpg.f8c91c24db90393b2927344f6a31dc0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Conditions in Ashford Co. Wicklow.

Air Temperature 1.3°C Got down to 0.7°C at 4:01 - Humidity 93%. Dewpoint 0.3°C - it was -3.9°C at 0:30.

Snow has now turned to drizzle. The dreaded drip drip drip sound is deafening. Lying snow is very slushy. Still it was fun for an hour! Myself and my daughter got to muck about for about 30 mins.

50937759438_2f5459d2fc_o.jpg

50938450581_e128645efd_o.jpg

DellyBelly wrote: »
    No snow here in Dublin 8. Mad the difference. Looking at your picture I think we can say we definitely got away with again this time..

Definitely. We got the great cold wet rain which we love and makes living in Ireland so great. It’s also the rarity of it that makes it special.

It’s always the same suspects getting pummelled never does it change.

Why can’t others get pummelled for once!? So sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Extremely breezy overnight in Limerick.

Bins falling again.

Very mild now. Must be about 10c

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s always the same suspects getting pummelled never does it change.

Why can’t others get pummelled for once!? So sickening.

To be fair Galway did ok earlier in the week.

ZeroSum76 wrote: »

Air Temperature 1.3°C Got down to 0.7°C at 4:01 - Humidity 93%. Dewpoint 0.3°C - it was -3.9°C at 0:30.

Snow has now turned to drizzle. The dreaded drip drip drip sound is deafening. Lying snow is very slushy. Still it was fun for an hour! Myself and my daughter got to muck about for about 30 mins.

50937759438_2f5459d2fc_o.jpg

50938450581_e128645efd_o.jpg

I’m hoping we can say senorita to this easterly and get a more potent northerly!

I would love a few days of proper snow to close the winter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow depression has kicked in here.

To be fair Galway did ok earlier in the week.

Just in NI. No matter how much it’s snowing it’s always far better for the people in Letterkenny and Tyrone.

2010 was the only time I got more snow than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Extremely breezy overnight in Limerick.

Bins falling again.

Very mild now. Must be about 10c

West Dublin and mist of Kildare got practically zero snow.... A tiny bit early this morning in Blanch but then the clouds dispersed.... Was snowing everywhere else

ZeroSum76 wrote: »

It's when you get that drip drip that the fun goes out of it and you wish you never got it in the first place. At least in an hour or two everywhere will look green like my area except mine will be dry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Zero rain or snow in Sallins. :)

pad199207 wrote: »
    Snow depression has kicked in here.

I wouldn't bother!

Had a full/complete cover here around 6 to 7am. A big slushy mess now!

That black hole that the models were showing in this area definitely came to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

It's when you get that drip drip that the fun goes out of it and you wish you never got it in the first place. At least in an hour or two everywhere will look green like my area except mine will be dry ;)

Correct! It's raining now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement