Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Snow in dundalk overnight. Thawing now. Slush is treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

543461.jpg

543462.jpg

Very little remains at 1pm in South Laois. Currently 3.9c with mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be a weather forecaster when the likes of unfunny jeery Callan comes out with this sh1t
    Disrespectful to to the vaccine effort where we are 2nd or 3rd best rollout in the EU,supply of vaccine and supply of snow comparisons :mad:

Not Funny

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1360191166814289921?s=19

Unfunny Gobscheitdt. Never ever found him amusing. And his impressions are second rate. Bottom feeding there in terms of attempted humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The power has only just gone back on here a minute ago.

It has been off since I think Thursday - well whenever I last posted...When the rest of the west coast came back from a major fault yesterday we didn't as there was a line down and they would have to come over to the island to fix it. And it was very stormy... VERY stormy and very cold . VERY cold. The whole island was off.

ESB were very helpful when I called them.

I did take some snow photos as we had a lot here. and will process and post them at some stage. Later.

Not seen forecasts or news yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I always had my doubts about that front moving north eastwards...... Such events rarely give anything much in terms of of snowfall to Kildare/Dublin/Wicklow..... And that was the case again...

Places like Newry and parts of Mayo seem to have done very well...

West Dublin had only light snowfall on four or five occasions so far... Normally we do a lot better than that in terms of depth during a cold period... Especially from the East... Most of the shower activity along the East Coast lacked intensity except for a few weeks ago when Coastal North County Dublin got quite a dump in places........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I think any front like this seems to dissipate coming into a large populated area close to the sea..... Better chance if it is a direct west-east affair....... That is my opinion anyway.....

Reading back a way; deeply thankful we did not get more snow out here atop the bitter cold. Which would have held repairs up even longer.

Even with the turf fire it has been impossible to get warm . Bitter cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reading back a way; deeply thankful we did not get more snow out here atop the bitter cold. Which would have held repairs up even longer.

Even with the turf fire it has been impossible to get warm . Bitter cold.

All the mild air is down here in Cork. I'll send some your way; you are welcome to it! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Louth & Meath did quite well

South Meath didn't do so great, north of Navan did much better throughout this spell. South Meath was under shadows much of the time and what did fall was mostly hail/graupel. Half the time the radar showed precipitation over us there was none. No snow last night either, but freezing rain instead caused by that Wicklow Mountain snow shadow that affected much of north Kildare as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Proper blizzard in Derry earlier
    From Ken's page

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1360571980064428032

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    All the mild air is down here in Cork. I'll send some your way; you are welcome to it! ;)

Oh that would be bliss! Even the locals are saying that this is far colder than they have known. Chilled to the marrow. And the wild loud wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Sledging hills untouched not anymore😬😬

There are of the first snow.

WISH I could get them fully on the screen

See the small footprints on the one that is all snow!

On the ocean one with the building on the left? A glimpse of my Westnet sateillite dish. Facing due north in all the gales and never a problem.

And no I did not get to make one last snowman, It actually never occurred to me as it was so bitterly cold in that easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

That’s a pity. North & East Meath did great.

Can confirm, south east Cavan did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Hasn't reached Cavan yet thank God!! You can keep it down there :) 2c atm and my snow cover is still intact, for now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm in Tymon Park and there's a really unusual cloud formation over the Dublin mountains, almost looks like another absolutely huge mountain range behind them. Tried to get a pic but it didn't do it any justice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dundalk 13/02/21 (pic wai)
    RR6MT1c.jpg

Still snowing on the high ground west of Arklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

A few cms in North East Galway, slow thaw is well underway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Oriel park dundalk 13/02/21
    KMgTSlL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be a weather forecaster when the likes of unfunny jeery Callan comes out with this sh1t
    Disrespectful to to the vaccine effort where we are 2nd or 3rd best rollout in the EU,supply of vaccine and supply of snow comparisons :mad:

Not Funny

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1360191166814289921?s=19

I think this man is actually very very clever and wasted within RTE.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

You have to laugh at the Met.ie Radar. Last night it Showed lots of precipitation over me in Bray but nothing was falling from the Sky and today it shows the closest precipitation is in South West Cork...yet its raining in Bray. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The most important question I have though is whether Aunty Snow has had any sleep in the last 36 hours??

Last night he said he’d have to get up at 4am to tend to the lambs....but he was posting on here all the way till 4am....and long after by the looks of it! :D

I think this man is actually very very clever and wasted within RTE.

Well he's an ar5e thinking that's funny
    Back to weather,it feels colder today here near Arklow
    The saying, there ain't no cold like a thaw wind comes to mind
    3.9/0c
    Wind gusting 61kmh SE
    Brrrr!

Calibos wrote: »
    The most important question I have though is whether Aunty Snow has had any sleep in the last 36 hours??

Last night he said he’d have to get up at 4am to tend to the lambs....but he was posting on here all the way till 4am....and long after by the looks of it! :D

Lad I'm bursting with energy
    Calved 3 cows during the night(in the shed) braving the snow dust blizzard :D
    Just back in the door now for a bite and back out to milk
    Delegating cow watch tonight as Aunty will definitely be out for the count :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Louth & Meath did quite well

Im in meath, about 12km from collon and i had more snow from the streamers during the week then last night, last night was a mix of everything, and thankfully nearly gone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just back from shopping in Dunshaughlin village. The ice is completely gone everywhere in my local area 1km outside Dunshaughlin but the urban area of Dunshaughlin still has a covering of slush and ice and deposits along the footpaths and roads. Gardens there still have ice cover so I've a feeling the town itself had a good deal more than what I had in just a 1km distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    just back from shopping in Dunshaughlin village. The ice is completely gone everywhere in my local area 1km outside Dunshaughlin but the urban area of Dunshaughlin still has a covering of slush and ice and deposits along the footpaths and roads. Gardens there still have ice cover so I've a feeling the town itself had a good deal more than what I had in just a 1km distance.

today was the perfect day for the return of the shopping queues here, haven't had them for months :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

All the snows melted but it’s only 2c. Bit odd.

Must’ve rained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    All the snows melted but it’s only 2c. Bit odd.

Must’ve rained

dew points are above 0c, which helps snow thaw quicker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement