Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I get disappointed because it always ends up downgraded in intensity.. and I know that a mile up the road there is 5x the amount I have.

How can you be happy when you see people posting photos of 20cm and you have 2cm after all this hype?

How about getting nothing? I would love 2cm here but everything and I mean everything went against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I expected 3 or 4 inches

You were in the Sperrin shadow. There was also a Mourne shadow. Belfast Aldergrove is only reporting 3 mm of dry snow on the runway this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

pad199207 wrote: »
    How about getting nothing? I would love 2cm here but everything and I mean everything went against us.

As G said there is nothing to lose! I often end up being on a very sharp boundary between several inches and nothing. If it was widely 2cm, I wouldn’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,857 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

There was a little light dusting of snow here at 6 am when I was had to let the dog out briefly , but it didn't stick , all gone , Portlaoise. Still happy for those of you who got lots of snow though , tinged with a little bit of envy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

The reality is nature does what it wants enjoy it will be gone tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Disappointed to have missed out here last night but that's how the cookie crumbles. Delighted for those who got decent falls of snow the last few days.

Hopefully we can have one more effort before the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Final picture today. Think we are done now. A good 6 hours of snow. Was nice way to finish the cold spell

Neddyusa wrote: »
    432 pages in the thread?! :)

But you posted a lot. We’re you ramping it up? Posting isn’t ramping.

I’d like some dry weather now. I believe long rang models are predicting that.

Final snowtam from Dublin. And that, as they say, is that. Thanks for watching. Safe home.
    SNOWTAM
    A) EIDW
    B) 02130950 C) 10R F) 2/2/2 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    B) 02130950 C) 16 F) 2/2/2 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    T) ALL RUNWAYS AND TAXIWAYS ARE CLEAR OF CONTAMINATION.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Looks like Derry has hardly any snow too... have the sperrins stole it all. Always something wrong here with snow.

People ramped this up and up. I thought I was going to get a few inches. But when I opened the curtains it was only a dusting! Thank god I didn’t stay up all night.

Coat on. Boots on. Get in the car and go to the snow. Go to the snow.
    Climb, trek, crawl. You will find it. It's the next best thing.

Find fresh virgin snow and do snow angels until you're exhausted.

Make the biggest snowman Derry has seen in years.

These lyrics from All Saints might help you get a move on.
    Ran along many moors
    Walked through many doors
    The place where I want to be
    Is the place I can call mine (I'm coming)
    Is the place I can call mine (I'm coming)
    Coming closer to you
    I'm moving, I'm coming
    Can you hear what I hear
    It's calling you, my dear
    Out of reach (Take me to my sleet)
    I can hear it calling you

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I get disappointed because it always ends up downgraded in intensity.. and I know that a mile up the road there is 5x the amount I have.

How can you be happy when you see people posting photos of 20cm and you have 2cm after all this hype?

A few lucky spots got 20cm, most of us got significantly less. And anyway at the end of the day its only a bit of snow, its fun trying to forecast it and its nice to look at for the few hours it'll last but whether its 2cm or 10cm what difference does it really make? Enjoy it and go for a walk before its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 70KMH in Kildare. Wasn’t expecting us this strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Disappointed to have missed out here last night but that's how the cookie crumbles. Delighted for those who got decent falls of snow the last few days.

Hopefully we can have one more effort before the end of February.

Fingers crossed for all (who deserve it)!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Welcome to my World!! :D

Bray rarely does well and the Seafront in Bray especially but its to be expected.

Bray got the First Streamer of 2010 in the country on November 27th 2010 and got 4 inches in about 2 hours. However it melted by the 1st of December and that was our lot till the 20th of December IIRC. In the IOM or Angelsey/Wales Shadow for nearly a month in between. Permanent Snow for the month for most other places on the East Coast as they got regular topups of any melt.

2018 we got one of the first Streamers of the event again and got about 3 inches but while Emma dumped feet of snow on the rest of Bray and the country the Gales blew in Salty Sea Spray and Bray Seafronts 3 inches stayed at 3 inches as it was melting as fast as it was falling. By the end of Emma we still had 3 inches but it was now slushy crap. Got SFA from the Paddies Day Snow in 2018.

I hear lots of other years mentioned by People as Snow event years on the East Coast but between the High Water Mark Snow year of 1987 for Bray and January 2010 the only one that rings a bell is 1991 and a dusting that lasted a day on Stephens/Boxing day in the early 2000's. February 2009 was a cm of slush in Bray IIRC. January 2010 was no great shakes, twas only an inch or two at most but it Frozen solid for a month so thats why it was notable.

I can't really complain though because many of the reasons that Bray is so sh1te for Snow are also the reasons its better than most places on the East Coast the other 3 seasons.

Definitely going to book a Ski Holiday Winter 2021/22 when Covid is all over. Haven't been Skiing since 2009. I need to get back into it to get my Snow fix nevermind my Skiing fix. Don't even care if I have no one to go with, I'll book one of those Single Persons group Trips. Before I hit the slopes though, I'll have to hit the Diet and the Gym. Put on about 30lb since the last Ski Trip, am 10 years older and have gotten so unfit its not funny. Onwards and Upwards!! :D

(Funny Story - So unfit, I can't sprint more than 10m without pain in my shins or run more than 50 without gasping for air and coughing my lungs up.......but I still caught a late teen/early twenty something with a 50m head start who did a runner with a €20 pack of Amber Leaf Rolling Tobacco. Stalked the fecker like a leopard. Ran as fast as I could when I was out of his sightline and far enough behind that he couldn't hear my running feet hitting the pavement. Tucked into walls and bends when I could. Fast walked when in his sightline, He rounded a corner thinking he was free and clear. I ran to the corner, peeked around and he was about 15m away. I fast walked up behind him and sprinted the last 5m and caught the fecker. Brains and Stealth over Teenage Speed and fitness my fellow late 40's friends!! :D:D )

Just for laughs, here is the great 2021 Kildare Black Snow-Hole. I'm in extreme northeast Kildare, east of Maynooth. What does show up on radar was nothing more than a few flakes/pellets/drops.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

A wet sloppy mess in Roscommon....was hoping for something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

We got 3 or 4 cm in North Longford, I can see a neighbour and his kids out with a quad and building a snowman.
    It's finished snowing here now, still windy, but it's thawing.
    I think this snow event is over for us now as heavy rain forecast for tomoro.
    But it was lovely watching the blizzard all morning and it's a whiteout, our first this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Longing

Gardai have reported that roads around the Ballybay area in Monaghan are currently impassable at present due to heavy snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently 3.4c in South Laois and almost all the snow has gone now, had around 2cm or 3cm at most last night, 1cm remained on the ground for the 9am Climate Recording. Sleet from around 7am to 8.30am and mist/drizzle since. Some drifts do remain.

The sky to the south is very heavy all morning, must be quite a bit of rain across southern coastal counties.

Snow remains on the hills above 200m around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

This was the height of it here, although further inland seemed to get a good cm or two, tricky road conditions.

Happy now I've seen snow this winter, roll on spring and t-shirts!

• Advertisement

Ulster depths at midday.

7 cm Castlederg
    5 cm Thomastown
    1 cm Lough Fea, Belfast Aldergrove

Unfortunately there have been no depth reports from other stations, such as Portglenone, Glennane (near Newry) and Ballypatrick Forest (north Antrim coast). Still, 7 cm was the highest hourly report of those reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

13c now reported at Kerry Farranfore. -1c in Lough Fea, NI.

That is some spread of temperatures across the country! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Ulster depths at midday.

7 cm Castlederg
    5 cm Thomastown
    1 cm Lough Fea, Belfast Aldergrove

Unfortunately there have been no depth reports from other stations, such as Portglenone, Glennane (near Newry) and Ballypatrick Forest (north Antrim coast). Still, 7 cm was the highest hourly report of those reporting.

I think lough fea not reporting right to atleast 5" there I'd say.

booferking wrote: »
    I think lough fea not reporting right to atleast 5" there I'd say.

Yeah, it's been reporting moderate snow but stuck on 1 cm all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The ground here is lethal from the freezing rain, i've never seen it so slippy before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sun2Snow

North Wexford 300m asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing here all night at Dunshaughlin in terms of snow. freezing rain throughout the night and early morning which rattled against my window and kept me awake with the noise of both combined. Really looking forward to getting the mild air in now and to forget this miserable cold spell!

Why would anyone want to be a weather forecaster when the likes of unfunny jeery Callan comes out with this sh1t
    Disrespectful to to the vaccine effort where we are 2nd or 3rd best rollout in the EU,supply of vaccine and supply of snow comparisons :mad:

Not Funny

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1360191166814289921?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Few CMS here in Virginia although noticable melt from early this morning. Still nice and firm on grass but paths is a slushy mess. Still got out for a ramble this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be a weather forecaster when the likes of unfunny jeery Callan comes out with this sh1t
    Disrespectful to to the vaccine effort where we are 2nd or 3rd best rollout in the EU,supply of vaccine and supply of snow comparisons :mad:

Not Funny

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1360191166814289921?s=19
    He's a bollox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement