Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

DellyBelly wrote: »
    No snow here in Dublin 8. Mad the difference. Looking at your picture I think we can say we definitely got away with again this time..

20cm and still coming down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

4 inches pushing 5" here roads are a mess drifts are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still coming down thick and heavy in Letterkenny, measured 7cm on the concrete out the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Some reasonable snow in Donegal. I would not be high up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mayo/Roscommon border, few minutes ago.

543420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

dm09 wrote: »

Wow.. Kind of glad we didn't get it like that here. Although it is very cold.. Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Can’t understand why it wasn’t an orange warning. Newry pictures. Must be 15 cms plus and still coming down heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

half an inch of wet snow here in sw donegal
    justy182 wrote: »
    Can’t understand why it wasn’t an orange warning. Newry pictures. Must be 15 cms plus and still coming down heavy.
    sure it's just not blown on on your garden ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sun is out in Kildare now but it’s gone very very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Wow.. Kind of glad we didn't get it like that here. Although it is very cold.. Stay safe

DellyBelly in "I don't like snow" shocker post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

This is the snow here. It’s only about 2cm.

Not sure why some people have drastically more under the same precipitation band. Have some people been under this for longer?

The snow started here around 8:30

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

dm09 wrote: »

Heaven!! Enjoy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Nice covering of the sneachta here in cavan this morning. Surprised by the amount that has falling this morning (5-6cm). Temps beginning to rise here at 2 degrees and a slow thaw has set in unfortunately

Looks like Derry has hardly any snow too... have the sperrins stole it all. Always something wrong here with snow.

People ramped this up and up. I thought I was going to get a few inches. But when I opened the curtains it was only a dusting! Thank god I didn’t stay up all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Blackrock Park/Booterstown area. An extremely light dusting which went before 9am. Very windy and cold, some bits of snow falling since but not sticking. Now, onwards to the milder temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

A little bit here but enough for the kids to play. North Co Dublin/East Meath border.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Looks like Derry has hardly any snow too... have the sperrins stole it all. Always something wrong here with snow.

People ramped this up and up. I thought I was going to get a few inches. But when I opened the curtains it was only a dusting! Thank god I didn’t stay up all night.

Not sure it was ramped up and up to be honest. Well not on here anyway. There was a pretty balanced prognosis if you look back. I think there was enough people playing it down to overall give a balanced picture for anyone willing to consider both sides.

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Not sure it was ramped up and up to be honest. There was a pretty balanced prognosis of you look back. I think there was enough people playing it down to overall give a balanced picture for anyone willing to consider both sides.

Well there was people saying that my area would receive 10-20cm widely. In reality even the hills even probably didn’t get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

It's when you get that drip drip that the fun goes out of it and you wish you never got it in the first place. At least in an hour or two everywhere will look green like my area except mine will be dry ;)

Almost dry here now too and we had 5.1mm equivalent of the stuff.
    As my toddler called it back in 2018 "cold muck"
    Hard icy stuff that you couldn't even make a snowball out of.
    That seems to be the only sort of snow we get here from an easterly, and always accompanied by that awful wind.
    No fun in it anyway!
    Snow from the North here is always more conducive to snowballs and general enjoyment by the small ones than this crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Not sure it was ramped up and up to be honest. Well not on here anyway. There was a pretty balanced prognosis if you look back. I think there was enough people playing it down to overall give a balanced picture for anyone willing to consider both sides.

432 pages in the thread?! :)

• Advertisement

I have to say when there is no snow you feel much less anxious.. you don’t need to worry about it lying/intensity.

Was gorgeous weather here throughout the week, I had several lovely walks. I will definitely miss the sunny and dry weather ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not sure it was ramped up and up to be honest. Well not on here anyway. There was a pretty balanced prognosis of you look back. I think there was enough people playing it down to overall give a balanced picture for anyone willing to consider both sides.

If this event has taught me anything, its that GL loves snow as much as the rest of us. GL is as pissed off as the rest of us when he doesn't get. However he keeps his emotions in check both in his appraisals of the models and charts and when on the rollercoaster and finally when it all ends up in disappointment. He calls it how he see's it based on his vast deep knowledge and guess what, he's nearly always right to be skeptical about snow events in Ireland.

Kermits threads will always grab my attention as he'll flag upcoming potential events but forevermore, I will always wait to see what GL has to say before I let myself get hyped.

If he ain't feelin' it, I ain't gonna feel it neither. :D

Neddyusa wrote: »
    432 pages in the thread?! :)

Which, if you actually read, will portray a very wide range of speculation about what might happen. It's not 432 pages of snowmageddon and blizzard chat. But peoples own confirmation bias tends to steer them down the road of hearing what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

For someone who's always obsessively chasing snow you always seem to be annoyed and disappointed any time you actually get any. Enjoy what you did get, whether its 2cm or 10cm its still snowing, the ground is all white and there's a chance there wont be any more until next winter

For someone who's always obsessively chasing snow you always seem to be annoyed and disappointed any time you actually get any. Enjoy what you did get, whether its 2cm or 10cm its still snowing, the ground is all white and there's a chance there wont be any more until next winter

I get disappointed because it always ends up downgraded in intensity.. and I know that a mile up the road there is 5x the amount I have.

How can you be happy when you see people posting photos of 20cm and you have 2cm after all this hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Well there was people saying that my area would receive 10-20cm widely. In reality even the hills even probably didn’t get that.

No one said that. The met office said high ground could see 20cm. Their video forecast said 5cm to 10cm. 5 to 10 seems accurate enough away from the North coast. Snow totals looked low for you area, western and southern areas were projected higher. You quoted one yesterday which had 2cm for you. Its only weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Family in Monaghan having a blast out in about a foot of the stuff....my two kids....green green grass....thankfully had told them it was unlikely but they are so jealous of their cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I get disappointed because it always ends up downgraded in intensity.. and I know that a mile up the road there is 5x the amount I have.

How can you be happy when you see people posting photos of 20cm and you have 2cm after all this hype?

Because it's only weather. It's nice to have an interest, but not if it causes anxiety. Just enjoy the journey and don't care about the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Not a bad snow event to be fair.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    No one said that. The met office said high ground could see 20cm. Their video forecast said 5cm to 10cm. 5 to 10 seems accurate enough away from the North coast. Snow totals looked low for you area, western and southern areas were projected higher. You quoted one yesterday which had 2cm for you. Its only weather.

I expected 3 or 4 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement