Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Except the poster your replying to has taken his comments completely out of context

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353840921981415424?s=19

If the alternative to what Leo is saying is rolling lockdowns for the next year then I for one am ok with all the negatives surrounding quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The UK have vaccinated 78% of over 80s, with the average age of death being 82. I would imagine the average age is similar here.

I'm starting to think that politicians don't have too much faith in the vaccines.

My Dad is 80, he reckons he won't take a vaccine because, in his words-'give it to a young person who can live their life, I've had mine'.

Also when you think of all those UK 80+ vaccine recipients who may just have received a vaccine that is only 8% effective for their age category it makes you wonder who we should be prioritising. Surly teachers should be high on the list to get kids back to education.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cjyid wrote: »
    Well we can, but everyone won't be vaccinated for a long long time the rate we're going.

We also don't know whether new variants may arise where the vaccines are less effective, or indeed how long current vaccines offer immunity. It's possible we won't get through everyone before those already vaccinated need a new jab (or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's true but Leo is talking about a slow slow reopening even when cases are low similar to last year so that's prob restrictions being eased in three week chunks

So the ask of people is three months of level 5 then a painfully slow reopening

Deja vu

I don't know how restrictions are going to be eased to be honest, but it'll be slow.

The government tried to give people a bit of hope in December - and it backfired spectacularly.

There's no point in the government coming out and saying this will be eased in 6 weeks or two months if it's not something that they can promise. I don't see the point in false promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well after watching Claire Byrne live,I am off to bed fully depressed,this year is going to be worse than last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's true but Leo is talking about a slow slow reopening even when cases are low similar to last year so that's prob restrictions being eased in three week chunks

So the ask of people is three months of level 5 then a painfully slow reopening

Deja vu

It sucks but I can't see them raking an alternative

I can wfh, I managed to get both a promotion and a parish during this site

But I'm also trying to finalise a divorce

This pandemic means no progress
    I just wish there was an end in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No point in extending to end of Feb, you'd be doing the review after 3 weeks instead of 4 probably. This way the review is a week before and they get a full 4 weeks before it.

First week of March was always most likely

Matches the NI restrictions date i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know how restrictions are going to be eased to be honest, but it'll be slow.

The government tried to give people a bit of hope in December - and it backfired spectacularly.

There's no point in the government coming out and saying this will be eased in 6 weeks or two months if it's not something that they can promise. I don't see the point in false promises.

The target needs to be X number of cases, everyone knew the restrictions were up in 6 weeks in December and started behaving accordingly in the weeks running up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Well after watching Claire Byrne live,I am off to bed fully depressed,this year is going to be worse than last year

Stop watching Clare Byrne .that program is not a serious program

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The vaccines gave me hope before Christmas. But the relentless negativity since the start of the year now makes the end feel further away than ever. It all feels a bit hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

My Dad is 80, he reckons he won't take a vaccine because, in his words-'give it to a young person who can live their life, I've had mine'.

Tell your Dad to cop on to himself. He could have many good years left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

If we all knuckle down and flatten the curve for the next 10 months we can enjoy a meaningful Christmas 2021.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surly teachers should be high on the list to get kids back to education.

Yeah they're grumpy enough without the worry of catching covid hanging over them:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Arghus wrote: »
    Oisín McConville being the most sensible man in the room.

He's dead right. More people died of covid on island than all the lives lost during the Troubles in a 20+ year period. Shameful that they couldn't use geography of the island to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yep I've written off 2021. Was speaking to herself last night about perhaps getting away out foreign (ie canaries) maybe in November. Looks like that's off the cards now. Going to be another miserable year that's going to take immense toll on peoples mental health and well being. At least the evenings are getting longer so I'll keep up my daily walks. My daffodils and tulips are coming out. And I'm going to replant my little patch in the garden and enjoy some nice veg over the summer. It's the small things that keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I switched off after 5 minutes. I am at an absolute mental low at this stage.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yep I've written off 2021. Was speaking to herself last night about perhaps getting away out foreign (ie canaries) maybe in November. Looks like that's off the cards now. Going to be another miserable year that's going to take immense toll on peoples mental health and well being. At least the evenings are getting longer so I'll keep up my daily walks. My daffodils and tulips are coming out. And I'm going to replant my little patch in the garden and enjoy some nice veg over the summer. It's the small things that keep you going.
    Don't forget the lettuce on the window sil

I switched off after 5 minutes. I am at an absolute mental low at this stage.

Like us all at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Don't forget the lettuce on the window sil

Tomatoes are where it'll be at. Need to get myself a little perspex greenhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

If taking the vaccine doesn’t get us back to normal then what’s the point in taking it,if we’re going to be locked down for an indefinite time.

• Advertisement

Yeah knew the restrictions were coming but still deflating when there's another extension. It's a tough time but we will get through this. This day next week is the 1st day of Spring so can look forward to weather getting better and evenings getting better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If taking the vaccine doesn’t get us back to normal then what’s the point in taking it,if we’re going to be locked down for an indefinite time.

To avoid getting severely ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Tomatoes are where it'll be at. Need to get myself a little perspex greenhouse.

Nothing like home grown tomatoes:)

It will long term so the more people get it the better chance we have of getting back to normality quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Another 6 weeks should put us in a better place if cases keep dropping like they are currently.

2021 isn't a write off. It's a tough time for us all, especially as January is **** too.

Keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Eod100 wrote: »
    He's dead right. More people died of covid on island than all the lives lost during the Troubles in a 20+ year period. Shameful that they couldn't use geography of the island to our advantage.

3000 people die a month. What were our total excess deaths in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The way this is shaping up 2021 will be worse than 2020

Months and months of level 5 not seeing friends, family, partners followed by a slow slow reopening again

SFA to look forward to at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

To reduce load on the hospitals - all the other diseases, disorders and injuries haven't gone away you know

The hospitals at the moment are failing :

" HSE pleads for help from volunteer nurses in Cork as CUH cancels all non-essential treatments due to Covid spike

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/hse-pleads-for-help-from-volunteer-nurses-in-cork-as-cuh-cancels-all-non-essential-treatments-due-to-covid-spike-39948296.html "

and this :

CUH said its ICU is currently under pressure due to staff shortages and it requested "support from staff and from the wider clinical community to do additional shifts in ICU over the coming week".

That's ok-ish if there is a bus crash or something, anything long term will wreck the staff

So........ need to reduce the load on the hospitals - that's why you need to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jaysus this place is cheerful this evening.

It'll be grand.

Turn off RTE, turn off Claire Byrne, take a few deep breaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The way this is shaping up 2021 will be worse than 2020

Months and months of level 5 not seeing friends, family, partners followed by a slow slow reopening again

SFA to look forward to at the moment

Brighter evenings. Numbers declining. Vaccinations on the way. Sport still on the telly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement