Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Amirani wrote: »
    To avoid getting severely ill.

I’m not anti vac but there has to be an end to this ****e or will it end when the bond markets decide we can’t borrow anymore to keep the lights on

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

3000 people die a month. What were our total excess deaths in 2020?

The government has done a decent job keeping deaths down, last month aside. Look at the US, Brazil or the UK to see what we could be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Can't say fairer than that can you. The marvels of science!
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1353822952664551424

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Can't say fairer than that can you. No hospitalisations out of 128k infected people is just unbelieable,the marvels of science!

Give me that Pfizer vaccine asap! They can keep the AstraZenica one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some good news !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

With those stats, why will there need to be restrictions past September when everyone is vaccinated?

I full understand and support the need for lockdown for the next month or so, but what/who are we protecting if hardly anyone will need hospitalisation once we’re all vaccinated?

Great news though!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

There is going to be a big question for everyone especially the government to answer and it's going to come quite soon. What if we see cases rise, but deaths at a minimum and hospitalisations at a medium level once people over 75 are vaccinated...what do we do then? Right now we totally buy into level 5 when we see icus over run, hospitals full and deaths at 50 and 60 everyday. We will not see the same buy in for that if there are no deaths and hospitals at a 1000 capacity for eg. And that's the scenario we will see long before zero covid gets near us.
    It will be interesting to see what people are shouting for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How many were exposed to the virus after they were vaccinated though ?

Otherwise it's a bit like saying you went to Spain on yer holidays and didn't get a tan ( cos you spent all day in the pub c/w aircon )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I switched off after 5 minutes. I am at an absolute mental low at this stage.

I'd say having only one bollock left doesn't help in fairness.

gctest50 wrote: »
    How many were exposed to the virus after tgey wew vaccinated though ?

Otherwise it's a bit like saying you went to Spain on yer holidays and didn't get a tan ( cos you spent all day in the pub c/w aircon )

Possibly more than those who were not vaccinated. I would imagine those who were vaccinated let their guard down more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭appledrop

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Give me that Pfizer vaccine asap! They can keep the AstraZenica one.

I would definitely prefer to get Pfizer or Modena one as both are same type of vaccine.

I really don't trust AstraZenica one. Read a lot of research data and it just doesnt sit right with me. I think UK rushed to approve it without all data stacking up.

We won't have a choice anyway + given how far I am down the list it will be Astra one for me whether I like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Maxface

It's an odd illness, have a cousin that got it from work, her husband slept in the same bed and tested negative. The children got it, this is back months ago. He works in a care setting and someone sneezed in his face and he tested positive now. Odd as anything.

With those stats, why will there need to be restrictions past September when everyone is vaccinated?

I full understand and support the need for lockdown for the next month or so, but what/who are we protecting if hardly anyone will need hospitalisation once we’re all vaccinated?

Great news though!

Don't get it either, I really don't understand what there is even a fear of. We keep being told it's just a tool to compliment restrictions , it won't end the pandemic, it will become endemic, it won't stop deaths completely just reduce., and this is advice in most countries not just Ireland. But why I don't get why it would not completely end the pandemic and bring deaths to completely insignificant levels when we achieve high vaccination rates by the summer time. Is there something we aren't aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

TallyRand wrote: »
    This Tomas Ryan chap is the perfect case of an academic who understands humans but not people.

Christ he's given more TV time, let me guess he was talking up zero covid again? How will that chap grab attention once this virus is suppressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Great news though!

I honestly think they're just setting extremely low expectation in case there is any issue with the vaccination program. It's a win:win situation for a politican, worst case they told you so, best case "we did extremely well, we can reopen some".

I would not read anything into programs more than a month in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The way this is shaping up 2021 will be worse than 2020

Months and months of level 5 not seeing friends, family, partners followed by a slow slow reopening again

SFA to look forward to at the moment

You've the rest of your life to look forward to if you make it through the pandemic, unlike the 2 million who haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Maxface wrote: »
    It's an odd illness, have a cousin that got it from work, her husband slept in the same bed and tested negative. The children got it, this is back months ago. He works in a care setting and someone sneezed in his face and he tested positive now. Odd as anything.

that is odd.

Don't get it either, I really don't understand what there is even a fear of. We keep being told it's just a tool to compliment restrictions , it won't end the pandemic, it will become endemic, it won't stop deaths completely just reduce., and this is advice in most countries not just Ireland. But why I don't get why it would not completely end the pandemic and bring deaths to completely insignificant levels when we achieve high vaccination rates by the summer time. Is there something we aren't aware of?

Exactly. We always knew the vaccine would be 94% effective in reducing serious illness and death. What we didn’t know would be if it would stop transmission (but when the whole population are vaccinated, does that even matter?), but there’s encouraging signs from Israel that it could possibly even do that, which will help things even more *before* the whole population get the vaccine.

Barring any serious mutations wrecking everything, we will just have to live with the very few cases of serious/illness death, as people really will not abide with restrictions by then.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1353860201938640896

Almost all US states are now seeing decline simultaneously, among them are even a couple who have no restrictions at all, so it's hard to refute that there is some strong seasonal aspect to it but to what degree is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Christ he's given more TV time, let me guess he was talking up zero covid again? How will that chap grab attention once this virus is suppressed?

These comments are so frustrating. He is articulating a clear way to level 0 restrictions. He makes a case on how we can go for a Korea like low covid solution (not zero covid) if we can't close the border. Agree with him or not he makes good clear arguments backed up by data and examples. If somebody who wants us to go for a Florida or Dubai like solution of minimal restriction and how our health system can manage that, I'm all ears. God knows id prefer that to our current non plan of "living with covid" which means rolling harsh restrictions followed by less harsh restrictions and then back again but so far nobody has made any sort of convincing case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1353860201938640896

Almost all US states are now seeing decline simultaneously, among them are even a couple who have no restrictions at all, so it's hard to refute that there is some strong seasonal aspect to it but to what degree is the question

Thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, the virus thrives on social occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The current panic in government is not because of a lack of vaccine efficacy, it is due to major issues with the availability of vaccines from Pfizer and more worryingly Astrazeneca. Our current pace is way too slow, which was predicted but given the supply issues we may not be ramping up for some time. To be out of this, we need to be vaccinating about 50k people a day for 6 months (maybe less, 30k or so, if we get a good supply of the single shot Janssen) last week we vaccinated 5k people per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah knew the restrictions were coming but still deflating when there's another extension. It's a tough time but we will get through this. This day next week is the 1st day of Spring so can look forward to weather getting better and evenings getting better.

Actually meteorologically speaking spring doesn`t start until 1st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, the virus thrives on social occasions.

Pancake Tuesday is lurking around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Brighter evenings. Numbers declining. Vaccinations on the way. Sport still on the telly.

Username checks out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

By September most things should be quite normal though huge mass gatherings may still be restricted through caution. There may also need to still be major restrictions on international travel due to new variants, especially if there are more vaccine resistant ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pedant:

Galaxy mergers usually just involve repositioning of stars and their orbiting bodies. Space between objects is so vast that very few collisions or ejections actually occur. If Andromeda merged with the milky way tomorrow it's most likely that nothing would actually change for us.

A bit like social distancing so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

gctest50 wrote: »
    How many were exposed to the virus after they were vaccinated though ?

Just rough numbers, but Israel has had nearly 200k cases this year. Population is 9.2 million, so that'd be around 2 percent of the population.

Meanwhile 20 out of 129k vaccinated were infected.

Obviously you can't compare the numbers 1:1, but if the vaccine wasn't effective, then you'd see around 2k people infected, and not 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hubertj wrote: »
    I think people will be surprised how many essential workers travel in and out of this country every day. There are so many people that can’t be quarantined that I think mandatory will have little effect. I also don’t agree with locking people up for 2 weeks.
    Do we also lock up COVID positive people in Ireland to ensure they don’t infect others? Better controls in airports and flights are a definite requirement to stop non essential travel.

Yeah a two week hotel stay is costly and difficult but the alternative is worse.

I don't agree with .....
    • putting hundreds of thousands of people out of a job
    • kids not being able to go to school and have a normal life
    • people not being able to go to hospital for elective treatments or screenings
    • continually asking people to live like a hermit

But I suppose priorities. Dressing it up as a human rights issue is red herring.

I'd say the main reason for not implementing is based on current lot looking for their next EU gig or the fact the meat packing industry relies on extremely cheap labour being flown in regularly.

Maybe we should start a go fund me and pay them off just like the lobby groups do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Yeah a two week hotel stay is costly and difficult but the alternative is worse.

I don't agree with .....
    • putting hundreds of thousands of people out of a job
    • kids not being able to go to school and have a normal life
    • people not being able to go to hospital for elective treatments or screenings
    • continually asking people to live like a hermit

But I suppose priorities. Dressing it up as a human rights issue is red herring.

I'd say the main reason for not implementing is based on current lot looking for their next EU gig or the fact the meat packing industry relies on extremely cheap labour being flown in regularly.

Maybe we should start a go fund me and pay them off just like the lobby groups do.

Constructive response.

How do you address the large number of essential workers who can’t be quarantined?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement