Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh if were under 3-400 cases by then which is what I'd reckon we would be and don't reopen non essential retail, gyms, hairdressers etc, I think the government will lose people even more. Understandable not to reopen hospitality then but the other items need to be reopened

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Conspiracy theory nonsense deleted

Please report any similar posts as I'm just going to delete it without comment going forward

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long do you think these restrictions will last to? May/June, And when do we open up so?

After May Bank Holiday for hospitality imo

Household visits probably banned till then also

Schools and construction back March, non essential retail April

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh if were under 3-400 cases by then which is what I'd reckon we would be and don't reopen non essential retail, gyms, hairdressers etc, I think the government will lose people even more. Understandable not to reopen hospitality then but the other items need to be reopened

The reopening strategy seems to be partly based on the idea that certain groups would be vaccinated by the end of March. This could be delayed with issues with supply so might be extended. It's a real balls the majority of vaccines aren't 1 dose. Would have meant people vaccinated quicker and less issues then with supply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stheno wrote: »
    After May Bank Holiday for hospitality imo

Household visits probably banned till then also

Schools and construction back March, non essential retail April

Not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It is the new variant and our hospital and ICU numbers which are making them more cautious. They might bring things forward a bit if more data is available on the new variant or if our hospital numbers fall faster than expected. Personally I’d prefer a longer lockdown if that gets numbers low enough so that we can gradually eases restrictions, vaccinate and never lockdown again.

It is the new variant and our hospital and ICU numbers which are making them more cautious. They might bring things forward a bit if more data is available on the new variant or if our hospital numbers fall faster than expected. Personally I’d prefer a longer lockdown if that gets numbers low enough so that we can gradually eases restrictions, vaccinate and never lockdown again.

So naive. What makes you think this time will be any different?

Eod100 wrote: »
    The reopening strategy seems to be partly based on the idea that certain groups would be vaccinated by the end of March. This could be delayed with issues with supply so might be extended. It's a real balls the majority of vaccines aren't 1 dose. Would have meant people vaccinated quicker and less issues then with supply too.

People being vaccinated is one thing, but if the cases aren't there, you can't keep places closed down, especially when there isn't giant links to data on huge spread in clothing stores, hairdressers or gyms.

I can completely understand waiting longer on hospitality and doing outdoor only maybe when the weather gets good, but the other items should be allowed when cases have dropped significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

But we now have Labour, Soc Dems and PBP (SF too perhaps?) seeking a zero Covid strategy so this means level 5 until zero cases. Perhaps we will even need a curfew to prevent mixing when the numbers get lower.

mcburns07 wrote: »

Because vaccinations, and summer time. :)

• Advertisement

ICU will take a while to fall alright but if cases are down to sub 400, low positivity rate on tests and hospital cases are under control, it'll be hard to keep things closed imo. Theres a level that we can safely reopen most things ATM and cases will stay low or continue to decrease and that doesn't have to be waiting until sub 100 cases or so

There's vaccinations for one and some form of quarantine. Government might slowly come around to the idea of mandatory quarantine for all.

I think another lockdown after this one would be very unsustainable. Maybe that's part of government's thinking in extending this one.

But we now have Labour, Soc Dems and PBP (SF too perhaps?) seeking a zero Covid strategy so this means level 5 until zero cases. Perhaps we will even need a curfew to prevent mixing when the numbers get lower.

We all know as soon as cases drop significantly, the opposition will be calling on things to reopen for people's mental health, the economy, can't afford lots of PUP, businesses will close for good etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Wow. Huge downer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Watching Leo on Primetime is rage inducing, no lessons learned, seems to be wholly reliant on a vaccine programme. No ambition at all from this government. Claims of seasonality of the virus with minimal evidence.

None of them are in government though so it won't happen unless there's government support.

I don't really get the idea that trying to suppress cases as low as possible and make easing sustainable is a radical idea. I think trying the same easing of restrictions before virus is suppressed in community enough without changes is fairly mad itself.

There's vaccinations for one and some form of quarantine. Government might slowly come around to the idea of mandatory quarantine for all.

I think another lockdown after this one would be very unsustainable. Maybe that's part of government's thinking in extending this one.

You're just repeating the same things that have been said on these threads for months. Nobody will accept this, nobody will accept that, yet here we are months later continuing to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Leo on about a very slow reopening similar to our painfully slow reopening the first time

Going to be very difficult to keep people on side with that strategy

You're just repeating the same things that have been said on these threads for months. Nobody will accept this, nobody will accept that, yet here we are months later continuing to do the same thing.

I don't really know what point you're making tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.facebook.com/45441411157/posts/10158065529666158/

Looks like 5th March for restrictions. Added travel restrictions.

• Advertisement

I don't really know what point you're making tbh

That you're kidding yourself if you think that this is the last lockdown.

We all know as soon as cases drop significantly, the opposition will be calling on things to reopen for people's mental health, the economy, can't afford lots of PUP, businesses will close for good etc.

The easiest job in the world is to be an opposition politician

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Leo on about a very slow reopening similar to our painfully slow reopening the first time

Especially when the suggestion is that we will have to go into more lockdowns after. I used to think Tomas Ryan was a nutter but what he's saying is making more and more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Leo not painting a pretty picture for 2021 on Claire Byrne. Thought I was hearing things when he was talking that travel would likely be restricted until beyond Christmas 2021. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

mohawk wrote: »
    39 more days of the same walk day in day out, looking at the same 4 walls day in day out. Knowing it was going to happen doesn’t make it any easier when it happens.

The longer it goes on the more likely people won’t stick to it. Once the numbers go a good bit lower than they are now the household visits will go back up again. There is only so long many will stick to it 100% the longer it goes on the more people will feel justified to pop into their neighbour or call into their parents.

I already see it happening around me. Saw no kids out playing for 3 weeks (apart from their own household or with parents), but they are starting to play together again. And people are starting to call to neighbour's doors again, which wasn't evident when the numbers exploded and level 5 was imposed.

As if the news this evening wasn't depressing enough without having him on tv :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't know, I think most people know the score at this stage about how we have to take a cautious approach - I think December was a wake up call to many.

There's far less noise from industry and other businesss talking heads compared to the last lockdown.

And re keeping people on side. If businesses are instructed to stay closed they'll stay closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

nommm wrote: »
    Especially when the suggestion is that we will have to go into more lockdowns after. I used to think Tomas Ryan was a nutter but what he's saying is making more and more sense.

Of course we will go back into lockdown.

Even if we stay at level 5 till April how many will be vaccinated? It will just take 6-8 weeks for cases to be back up to 1000 a day.

That you're kidding yourself if you think that this is the last lockdown.

I never said it would be. :confused::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say the thoughts of Level 5 lockdown until March 5 is soul destroying.

Even if said till end Feb would give people some hope but Jaysus another 5 weeks of this!

I know no other choice but I feel it gives people no hope. I'd worry for people's mental health. January not a great month anyway in normal year, this news is not going to help.

I fully support new lockdown measures for airports/ border etc but should gave happened a lot soon before UK strain took hold.

It just feels like its never ending.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement