Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You need to be a subscriber for that I think

Join OnlyTony.com for exclusive, HOT Google mobility charts

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

This is still like a horror movie. I expect to wake up and it was all a dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The experts may take a dim view, but what if we all swapped gafs until March 4th?

You know what I needed a laugh. Anyone living by the Sea? I would love a beach walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's not comforting, you psychopath

Pedant:

Galaxy mergers usually just involve repositioning of stars and their orbiting bodies. Space between objects is so vast that very few collisions or ejections actually occur. If Andromeda merged with the milky way tomorrow it's most likely that nothing would actually change for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I think they want/need to avoid any other wave at all costs and that's what they are going for so if you push strong restrictions til April/May

Seasonal factor combined with vaccinations combined with low case numbers will put us in a good place to open society significantly.

What's the point? Unless they can magically get more vaccines we are going to have wave after wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pedant:

Galaxy mergers usually just involve repositioning of stars and their orbiting bodies. Space between objects is so fast very few collisions or ejections actually occur. If Andromeda merged with the milky way tomorrow it's most likely that nothing would actually change for us.

You're saying it might happen tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You're saying it might happen tomorrow?

Well one day it will be a tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mohawk wrote: »
    You know what I needed a laugh. Anyone living by the Sea? I would love a beach walk.

One of hardest parts of this for me is the 5km restrictions . We love to walk on the beaches and often drive out with our soup and sandwiches . I really miss it and its daft because we walked on a near empty beach and now we have to walk in packed parks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pedant:

Galaxy mergers usually just involve repositioning of stars and their orbiting bodies. Space between objects is so vast that very few collisions or ejections actually occur. If Andromeda merged with the milky way tomorrow it's most likely that nothing would actually change for us.

Thank Christ, I can sleep easy tonight. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

They had that little segment on the news about New Zealand to sell the plan. "Get ready for airtight border."

Which is fine, but they had better not sell the goal and not take the necessary steps. People don't react kindly to false promises!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

niallo27 wrote: »
    We have had most of last year to do that, hard to get fit or explore your local area if your stuck within 5km

Ah shtop. We weren't restricted to 5km for most of last year. What's your 5/10km PB now? ;)
    I imagine people could have a diploma by now if they started last March. As for new skills, I know many people have great improved their cooking/baking and gardening skills. No point in wasting this time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

39 more days of this boring rubbish to endure.

The only thing to be said for it is that it should knock the bollocks out of the virus if we stick to it.

Have to say i don't mind it at all as i know it's for the greater good. I take solace in the fact my family and me have played and will continue to play our part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Tonight's hospital report is out

1803 in hospital (down from 1930 at 8 pm last night)
    86 confirmed new cases in hospital over past 24 hours
    217 in ICU (219 last night. Sadly, 6 deaths)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 25/1

Covid cases hospitalised as of 8pm 1803 - decrease from 1930.
    7 hospitals with over 100 cases.

ICU confirmed Covid cases as of 6.30pm 217 - decrease from 219.
    6 deaths in ICU 24 hours up to 8am.
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated 126 as of 6.30pm - decrease from 132.

Available ICU beds 30 as of 6.30pm.
    12 ICUs with no available beds.
    Total open and staffed ICU beds 342.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Level 5 for 6 more weeks is ****.... but knowing it probably won't be the last time we see it is the most depressing aspect. Despite the vaccines I'm not optimistic about seeing any sort of normality for another year or so.

.... That'll be 16 weeks out of 20 at level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stheno wrote: »
    It will be extended to Tuesday 13th April imo

Thats another 5/6 weeks

That's a very precise date! Why do ya reckon it would be then? Wait til after Easter?

Think we'll be counting this year in bank holidays again unfortunately. Hopefully a bit of normality by May bank holiday.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

39 more days of this boring rubbish to endure.

The only thing to be said for it is that it should knock the bollocks out of the virus if we stick to it.

We wont even have 10% vaccinated by then.

Once we open up at level 4 plus schools we will be back up to 1000 cases a day within 7-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Tonight's hospital report is out

1803 in hospital (down from 1930 at 8 pm last night)

Good drop from last Monday when 2020 was in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

To be honest I think people should try and make the most of it e.g. get fit, do a course, teach the kids new skills, explore your local area etc etc. We might never have as much free time again.

Free time? Maybe if I didn’t have kids.... we’re m busier than ever before and there is no breaks

I get your point though. I’ve stuck up an extra desk and hauled out a jigsaw board for myself. Implemented a new phone downstairs at bedtime routine and just trying to get through it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Full level 5 until April, I don't think so. People are already at breaking point. Need to give something back.

It was the notion of "giving something back" without any connection to case numbers/hospitalisations etc. that led to the disastrous Christmas reopening and refusal to bring in any restrictions from mid-December on when things were clearly going south.

Unfortunately we can't just end the restrictions because we want restrictions to end. They have to be linked to solid targets, e.g. consistently under 100 cases a day, low hospital admissions, low positivity etc. As it stands we're well on a path to being in a good place by the end of February, but if things do end up going awry I can't see restrictions easing just because people are fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ElJaguar

bennyl10 wrote: »
    EMA aren’t approving it for anyone over 65.

The UK are in huge trouble with this

Where are you getting this from?

I knew it was going to be extended but seeing the date in March instead of the end of February (even if that was going to be extended too anyway) is fairly deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    I knew it was going to be extended but seeing the date in March instead of the end of February (even if that was going to be extended too anyway) is fairly deflating.

No point in extending to end of Feb, you'd be doing the review after 3 weeks instead of 4 probably. This way the review is a week before and they get a full 4 weeks before it.

First week of March was always most likely

No point in extending to end of Feb, you'd be doing the review after 3 weeks instead of 4 probably. This way the review is a week before and they get a full 4 weeks before it.

First week of March was always most likely

I know and Feb a short month just mentally seems longer when it's from end of Jan to start of March, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Full level 5 until April, I don't think so. People are already at breaking point. Need to give something back.

Giving something back is what broke it last time. No thanks.

People are more resilient than you think. We'll do what has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

What has to be done? When do we ease? At zero cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ElJaguar wrote: »

Was reported by euro news earlier
    Seems to have now been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

How long do you think these restrictions will last to? May/June, And when do we open up so?

• Advertisement

ElJaguar wrote: »

Think German paper Bild have the story:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1353828630972026882

AstraZeneca pushing back

https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1353816748341010432

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement