Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

appledrop wrote: »
    I have to say the thoughts of Level 5 lockdown until March 5 is soul destroying.

Even if said till end Feb would give people some hope but Jaysus another 5 weeks of this!

I know no other choice but I feel it gives people no hope. I'd worry for people's mental health. January not a great month anyway in normal year, this news is not going to help.

I fully support new lockdown measures for airports/ border etc but should gave happened a lot soon before UK strain took hold.

It just feels like its never ending.
    Sorry but March 5th is being optimistic.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Leo not painting a pretty picture for 2021 on Claire Byrne. Thought I was hearing things when he was talking that travel would likely be restricted until beyond Christmas 2021. Depressing.

If they're doing that, they might as well just have mandatory quarantine for that time and try to return to normal internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Eod100 wrote: »
    I never said it would be. :confused::

"I think another lockdown after this one would be very unsustainable. Maybe that's part of government's thinking in extending this one."

Are you not suggesting that they're extending this one to prevent having to another one down the line?

If not, what point are YOU trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

This Tomas Ryan chap is the perfect case of an academic who understands humans but not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Of course we will go back into lockdown.

Even if we stay at level 5 till April how many will be vaccinated? It will just take 6-8 weeks for cases to be back up to 1000 a day.
    Not if the government actually had a strategy. Plenty of countries have shown that it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

These so called quarantine hotels. Who fits the bill for this?

To thine own self be true

In Aus, its people travelling to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

appledrop wrote: »
    I have to say the thoughts of Level 5 lockdown until March 5 is soul destroying.

Even if said till end Feb would give people some hope but Jaysus another 5 weeks of this!

I know no other choice but I feel it gives people no hope. I'd worry for people's mental health. January not a great month anyway in normal year, this news is not going to help.

I fully support new lockdown measures for airports/ border etc but should gave happened a lot soon before UK strain took hold.

It just feels like its never ending.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it won't finish on March 5th,it will go on until at least Easter

The traveller in the places where it's been implemented so presumably same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

TallyRand wrote: »
    This Tomas Ryan chap is the perfect case of an academic who understands humans but not people.

And he looks like a worm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Look at the difference and precautions proper well run nations like Vietnam have taken against this virus whilst we mickey mouse about with half arsed measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know, I think most people know the score at this stage about how we have to take a cautious approach - I think December was a wake up call to many.

There's far less noise from industry and other businesss talking heads compared to the last lockdown.

And re keeping people on side. If businesses are instructed to stay closed they'll stay closed.

Noise will start when cases keep dropping

Yeah business will stay closed alright

My fear would be its a huge ask for people to keep up the current level of effort, keeping contacts low , not seeing people for month after month after month

Also add in no social outlets

Big big ask

The passengers usually

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    If they're doing that, they might as well just have mandatory quarantine for that time and try to return to normal internally.

Except the poster your replying to has taken his comments completely out of context

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353840921981415424?s=19

Look at the difference and precautions proper well run nations like Vietnam have taken against this virus whilst we mickey mouse about with half arsed measures.

Think there was western exceptionalism with not following measures which worked in other countries. Penny is slowly dropping about quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Sorry but March 5th is being optimistic.

There is every reason to think that cases will be low by then

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1353004118684659712

But with the slow vaccine rollout there is no reason to think it wont be short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

King Billy in the background, Ian Paisley Jr!! You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Except the poster your replying to has taken his comments completely out of context

How so? He was clearly flying a kite like we've seen a million times before.

Fair enough. Does he mean summer holidays abroad there? Wouldn't have thought there was much of a chance of that either way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why can't we reopen once everyone is vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I think people will be surprised how many essential workers travel in and out of this country every day. There are so many people that can’t be quarantined that I think mandatory will have little effect. I also don’t agree with locking people up for 2 weeks.
    Do we also lock up COVID positive people in Ireland to ensure they don’t infect others? Better controls in airports and flights are a definite requirement to stop non essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Well we can, but everyone won't be vaccinated for a long long time the rate we're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Noise will start when cases keep dropping

Yeah business will stay closed alright

My fear would be its a huge ask for people to keep up the current level of effort, keeping contacts low , not seeing people for month after month after month

Also add in no social outlets

Big big ask

It's a big ask of course, but I don't see what else there is for doing. If cases are high you can't open up really. We've been here before. Keeping people on side is important, but equally there's nothing to be done, in my view, until cases are low enough.

I think most people accept that not much, if anything, will change for February. Beyond that is anyone's guess at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

cjyid wrote: »
    Well we can, but everyone won't be vaccinated for a long long time the rate we're going.

That's not strictly true, that's not how vaccines work.

Receiving a vaccine doesn't work 100%.

Receiving a vaccine doesn't 100% stop you transmitting the virus.

Large groups of people can not ever be vaccinated.

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The UK have vaccinated 78% of over 80s, with the average age of death being 82. I would imagine the average age is similar here.

I'm starting to think that politicians don't have too much faith in the vaccines.

We can but that won't be till September at the earliest. The question is what will happen in between.

Arduach wrote: »
    King Billy in the background, Ian Paisley Jr!! You couldn't make it up!

I know.

He's also claimed that NI is well ahead of The Republic in testing. Hmmm, that sounds like a bogus claim.

Oisín McConville being the most sensible man in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Oisín McConville being the most sensible man in the room.

Absolutely

• Advertisement

It's a big ask of course, but I don't see what else there is for doing. If cases are high you can't open up really. We've been here before. Keeping people on side is important, but equally there's nothing to be done, in my view, until cases are low enough.

I think most people accept that not much, if anything, will change for February. Beyond that is anyone's guess at this stage.

That's true but Leo is talking about a slow slow reopening even when cases are low similar to last year so that's prob restrictions being eased in three week chunks

So the ask of people is three months of level 5 then a painfully slow reopening

Deja vu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement