Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hubertj wrote: »
    Constructive response.

How do you address the large number of essential workers who can’t be quarantined?

Your right. I'd say look what other countries do and copy them. Lot's of essential workers fly in via the UK so they'll be quarantined anyway.
    We are a bit slow on the uptake and keeping open borders during the pandemic has proved to be futile. It took a a couple of big waves and a lot of economic / real pain for it to even be considered.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1353907706504110085?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Your right. I'd say look what other countries do and copy them. Lot's of essential workers fly in via the UK so they'll be quarantined anyway.
    We are a bit slow on the uptake and keeping open borders during the pandemic has proved to be futile. It took a a couple of big waves and a lot of economic / real pain for it to even be considered.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1353907706504110085?s=20

And if the vast majority of people coming into this country are essential workers? Who are we going to lock up? Sorry if I have a different opinion to you, not sure I understand the aggression. It is easier to go for the populist solution with no real understanding of how it will actually be implemented. I’ll leave it there.

And if the vast majority of people coming into this country are essential workers? Who are we going to lock up? Sorry if I have a different opinion to you, not sure I understand the aggression. It is easier to go for the populist solution with no real understanding of how it will actually be implemented. I’ll leave it there.

Come on. No aggression. What are you on about? It's not populist, it's logical. It's ok to have a different opinion. I gave a response. I understand essential workers are important and it will be tricky. Kids not going to school and people not being able to go to hospital are more important in my opinion. I think it is wrong to expect every one to stay at home for years or for people to default on their mortgages.

We've had a bit of a wake up call with the variants and if updated jabs are required we'll constantly be chasing our tails.

Do you have any source that the majority of people coming in are essential workers?

I imagine that's single ticket inbound travellers if the case and excludes the vast majority which are round trip tickets to Spain etc. Otherwise our population would be much larger than it currently is.

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1353832581456912386?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I just keep thinking to myself that if we tough out one more month it could very well be our last Lockdown of this pandemic.

Come on. No aggression. What are you on about? It's not populist, it's logical. It's ok to have a different opinion. I gave a response. I understand essential workers are important and it will be tricky. Kids not going to school and people not being able to go to hospital are more important in my opinion. I think it is wrong to expect every one to stay at home for years or for people to default on their mortgages.

We've had a bit of a wake up call with the variants and if updated jabs are required we'll constantly be chasing our tails.

Do you have any source that the majority of people coming in are essential workers?

I imagine that's single ticket inbound travellers if the case and excludes the vast majority which are round trip tickets to Spain etc. Otherwise our population would be much larger than it currently is.

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1353832581456912386?s=20

So can you answer my question? What do you do about the majority of travelllers that can’t be quarantined? Is there alignment in Europe and the uk about not quarantining Irish essential workers that get on planes every day? What happens if Ireland acts unilaterally? Easy to say mandatory quarantine but way more difficult to implement it. Listening to the loser politicians that support it is laughable.... Murphy, Barrett, shortall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Trouble in Holland, we have also seen it in Italy. People ate getting fed up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/police-use-tear-gas-water-cannon-amid-rioting-over-covid-n1255596

So can you answer my question? What do you do about the majority of travelllers that can’t be quarantined? Is there alignment in Europe and the uk about not quarantining Irish essential workers that get on planes every day? What happens if Ireland acts unilaterally? Easy to say mandatory quarantine but way more difficult to implement it. Listening to the loser politicians that support it is laughable.... Murphy, Barrett, shortall.

Do you have a source for the above claim? You see all through this pandemic people have clinged on to falsehoods as justifications or what's best for them rather than what's best for the country.

Apologies if I'm a bit sceptical that the majority of travellers can't be quarantined. So everyone coming from Fuertaventura is an essential worker yeah?

At some point we must stop the bull****.

https://twitter.com/Elaine_Loughlin/status/1353125799365373952?s=20

Do you have a source for the above claim? You see all through this pandemic people have clinged on to falsehoods as justifications or what's best for them rather than what's best for the country.

Apologies if I'm a bit sceptical that the majority of travellers can't be quarantined. So everyone coming from Fuertaventura is an essential worker yeah?

If you’re not going to address the question I asked I’m not sure what else there is to discuss.
    I don’t look at or use Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

niallo27 wrote: »
    Trouble in Holland, we have also seen it in Italy. People ate getting fed up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/police-use-tear-gas-water-cannon-amid-rioting-over-covid-n1255596

The bulk of the Dutch after-curfew riots are teenagers looking for an excuse to cause trouble. Beyond a few conspiracy theory laden gatherings of a few hundred over the weekend (including attacking a hospital) there's been no actual anti-lockdown element to the latest violence.

elefant wrote: »
    The bulk of the Dutch after-curfew riots are teenagers looking for an excuse to cause trouble. Beyond a few conspiracy theory laden gatherings of a few hundred over the weekend (including attacking a hospital) there's been no actual anti-lockdown element to the latest violence.

I did love a good riot when I was a kid growing up on the mean streets of Donnybrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The biggest issue that’s currently being ignored is this didn’t prevent Melbourne or the State of Victoria from being in lockdown for months throughout their winter. Despite having all of these mandatory quarantine measures in place.
    All the pictures from Australia and New Zealand of people having fun is happening at the height of their summer. Summer in the holiday spots here was pretty good too when the sun actually shone. Just didn’t have the hot weather.
    I think this virus has a major seasonal element to how it spreads - it will still be around in summer but a number of factors must weaken it (not scientific proof just my opinion).

The biggest issue that’s currently being ignored is this didn’t prevent Melbourne or the State of Victoria from being in lockdown for months throughout their winter. Despite having all of these mandatory quarantine measures in place.
    All the pictures from Australia and New Zealand of people having fun is happening at the height of their summer. Summer in the holiday spots here was pretty good too when the sun actually shone. Just didn’t have the hot weather.
    I think this virus has a major seasonal element to how it spreads - it will still be around in summer but a number of factors must weaken it (not scientific proof just my opinion).

South Africa and Florida say hello.

It will likely be seasonal, and milder, once endemic. It is not now however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Agree. Plus they are not levelling with people about what it means to get down to zero cases. It means level 5 plus enhanced restrictions for probably the next 6 months. It means powers will be needed to enforce it strictly. Then rolling or local lockdowns at short notice when there are cases. It means good bye to holidays this year or seeing kids return from home. It will also mean that a good chunk of our mobile workforce will probably leave for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

South Africa and Florida say hello.

It will likely be seasonal, and milder, once endemic. It is not now however

What does this mean they say hello?
    Florida is just letting Covid run rampant. There’s a travel ban from Ireland to the US. South Africa has a new variant - there’s a travel ban from there also to many Western countries.
    I think the negative PCR test and quarantine if you don’t have one will be effective.

Edit - I understand now you’re referring to seasonal aspect. Posting on the go, apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Australia population 25 million. Covid cases 29000. Covid deaths 909. They had a spike in July, their coldest month. It was 600 cases at highest.

New Zealand population 5 million. Covid cases 2300. Covid deaths 25. They have had no seasonal spike. After the first spike that caught all people on the planet unawares they have maintained a fairly even line.

Thailand population 70 million. Covid cases 14,500. Covid deaths 75. They had their highest spike in their coolest month of January when they had 365 cases. Cool in Thailand means about 27 degrees celsius.

Vietnam population 96 million. Covid cases 1600. Covid deaths 35. They had their highest spike in August of 45 cases. that is not their coldest time.

Hong Kong population 7.5 milllion. Covid cases 10,000. Covid deaths 171. Spikes of about 100 cases max each time happened in December and July = no seasonal pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Australia population 25 million. Covid cases 29000. Covid deaths 909. They had a spike in January, their coldest month. It was 600 cases at highest.

New Zealand population 5 million. Covid cases 2300. Covid deaths 25. They have had no seasonal spike. After the first spike that caught all people on the planet unawares they have maintained a fairly even line.

Thailand population 70 million. Covid cases 14,500. Covid deaths 75. They had their highest spike in their coolest month of January when they had 365 cases. Cool in Thailand means about 27 degrees celsius.

Vietnam population 96 million. Covid cases 1600. Covid deaths 35. They had their highest spike in August of 45 cases. that is not their coldest time.

Hong Kong population 7.5 milllion. Covid cases 10,000. Covid deaths 171. Spikes of about 100 cases max each time happened in December and July = no seasonal pattern.

I think it's pretty clear that it's seasonal in European temperate climates. Other climates might not be comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Australia population 25 million. Covid cases 29000. Covid deaths 909. They had a spike in January, their coldest month. It was 600 cases at highest.

January is Australia's hottest month... You must have meant "not' their coldest month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Vicxas wrote: »
    I just keep thinking to myself that if we tough out one more month it could very well be our last Lockdown of this pandemic.

I keep thinking, I never actually realised how many ignorant fcukin idiots live among our society.
    The ones who panic bought all the pasta and toilet roll in March.
    The ones who p1ss about in shebeens and house party’s.
    The ones who don’t follow any guidelines.
    The ones who dump masks and gloves on the ground in car parks etc and expect other people to clean it up.
    The ones who throw rubbish out car windows while they drive.
    The ones walking dogs who bag the dog sh1te and then dump it on the grass bagged.
    I’m fed up with the fcukin lot of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

lawred2 wrote: »
    January is Australia's hottest month

Whoops sorry I meant to say July. I will edit. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I keep thinking, I never actually realised how many ignorant fcukin idiots live among our society.
    The ones who dump masks and gloves on the ground in car parks etc and expect other people to clean it up.
    The ones walking dogs who bag the dog sh1te and then dump it on the grass bagged.

Those that don't bag the dog sh1te in the first instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Probes wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that it's seasonal in European temperate climates. Other climates might not be comparable.

I don't its clear at all tbh. Last summer coincided with a hard lockdown in Europe. Cases started to rise in Spain during the summer too. People's behaviour in the summer being outdoors probably the only thing that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ssflyer

Also the ones who are hysteric now and calling for zero covid without thinking it through. Real knee jerk reaction considering they were the very ones calling for a “meaningful Christmas” Jesus weep give it a few weeks honestly my god I despair sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Australia population 25 million. Covid cases 29000. Covid deaths 909. They had a spike in July, their coldest month. It was 600 cases at highest.

Those selected countries also had vastly superior approaches to dealing with covid though..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And those that waltz into a supermarket with no mask and strut around daring anyone to challenge them .I want to smack them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And those that waltz into a supermarket with no mask and strut around daring anyone to challenge them .I want to smack them
    Just think what you could do with all those wasted minutes thinking about people who mean nothing to you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Ficheall wrote: »
    Those selected countries also had vastly superior approaches to dealing with covid though..

They also have a populace that care about each other and take pride in their society..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ssflyer wrote: »
    Also the ones who are hysteric now and calling for zero covid without thinking it through. Real knee jerk reaction considering they were the very ones calling for a “meaningful Christmas” Jesus weep give it a few weeks honestly my god I despair sometimes. ( I know they’ll be on denying it now )
    Presumably you'll be able to quote such a poster as an example.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just think what you could do with all those wasted minutes thinking about people who mean nothing to you!

I could couldnt I . But whats the harm in having a good old rant sometimes it clears the head ! Lots of people rant here and I see no harm in it as a release, I dont jump on them for that reason .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They also have a populace that care about each other and take pride in their society..
    Actually, they have a populace who largely do what the government tell them to do.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

Oddly enough apart from the plonkers I am finding a that people in general are very supportive , we have a renewed sense of community and people are helpful and kind to each other . We had to isolate recently and were finding little treats at our door and people leaving cakes and donuts !
    We walk in the park a lot and ( apart from the above plonkers ) people are very good to step aside and greet each other .So many parents now out walking with kids and enjoy the outdoors The Tesco delivery man who waves and leaves my shopping and always finds a kind word and a wave .I hope it lasts and we dont get lost again and we learn to appreciate the finer things in life

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement