Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperDry Japan Jackets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Almost pulled the trigger on a Gant jacket today.

Said I'd better go home and check their credentials here first.

Am I onside?

I think they’re acceptable still? Haven’t seemed to cheapen down unlike some of the others. Generally not stocked outside of upmarket shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Am I onside?
    What I have learned today is no branding or very teeny tiny should be visible, relax with the zips, you need to own a boat if its sold as a nautical jacket!
    You probably need to be an American college student to buy Gant do but Im sure someone will explain all this to you in a moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Am I onside?

Safe enough but only just. You were right to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have 2 Barbour jackets, a wax and a another quilted one. Understated, warm and timeless. I have one 10 years and it's still looks as good as the day I bought it and will still look as good in another 10.

A superdry screams boot cut jeans, brown shoes and a pint bottle of cider on the way back from the ploughing home to Tipperary.

maybe people associate seemingly all brands of coats with undesirable people because you only ever see those people outside

What brand are safe?
    According to the Boards fashionista collective hive mind, if you wear any clothes at all, you're a scumbag, a culchie or a hipster - or a combination of all three.

However nudism is also frowned upon.

Most brands are safe IMO but the more discrete the logo etc the better. I've a duck down Hugo boss jacket that is fairly indiscernible to be Hugo Boss.

Anything with the manufacturer splattered all over it is desperate..... The HH sailing gear worn casually as someone said makes you look a nob. They have other ranges but they do tend to put the large HH very visibly on most of their stuff.

And folk getting p1ssed off at the mention of boot cut jeans being woefully out of fashion need to chill out.... It is what it is.

I'm more into style than fashion and even when bootcut jeans were in fashion they were never stylish....straight cut jeans go over most boots :)

Realistically, who wants to dress like the scrotes who go around robbing mobile phones off folk in the IFSC or like the undercover gardai trying to catch the scrotes' Dads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

barbour jackets probably cost 3 or 4 times as much as superdry though so hardly a fair comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Augeo wrote: »
    Most brands are safe IMO but the more discrete the logo etc the better. I've a duck down Hugo boss jacket that is fairly indiscernible to be Hugo Boss.

Yes, in all fairness to Hugo Boss, they never went mad on the logos.

hugo-boss-uniform.jpg

barbour jackets probably cost 3 or 4 times as much as superdry though so hardly a fair comparison

Well if you knock a couple of decades out of the Barbour jacket it's a value purchase.... An investment piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,427 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well if you knock a couple of decades out of the Barbour jacket it's a value purchase.... An investment piece :)

They remind me of the travelling sales men who sell the dodgy power tools, work boots, socks and gates.

They remind me of the travelling sales men who sell the dodgy power tools, work boots, socks and gates.

I'd not be into them myself but they are a quality item. Classic country wear style. Fair amount of cream crackers wear similar style stuff alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,496 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A superdry screams boot cut jeans, brown shoes and a pint bottle of cider on the way back from the ploughing home to Tipperary.

Pint bottle, "gets you twice as much" (watered down) surely?

I still have a rather old one that'll probably never get worn again (but the charity shops aren't open); and another newer one that's not particularly heavily branded, because I needed something ridiculously warm at short notice to go to Latvia and it was the only one in my size in Arnotts due to them moving to spring/summer stock. Because who wants a winter jacket in mid winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

What kind of coats are ok to have now?
    Well you get points for not wearing something that everyone else is wearing.

I'd not be into them myself but they are a quality item. Classic country wear style. Fair amount of cream crackers wear similar style stuff alright

Not wax though... I've a wax flat cap to match, slim jeans, a cable knit or similar sweater, flannel or oxford shirt and Chelsea boots and I'm dressed for winter. Wouldn't be into the howiya boss look myself.

Not wax though... I've a wax flat cap to match,...... Wouldn't be into the howiya boss look myself.

You said you'd a quilted one too :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭French Toast

I think I have 2 SuperDry jackets in a wardrobe somewhere, going digging them out for old times sake.

Have a grey Regatta for work. Warm, waterproof and perfectly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Not wax though... I've a wax flat cap to match, slim jeans, a cable knit or similar sweater, flannel or oxford shirt and Chelsea boots and I'm dressed for winter. Wouldn't be into the howiya boss look myself.

A flat cap, is howya gear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

So which character on Emmerdale are you? Go on, give us a hint.

• Administrators Posts: 53,642 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Will literally last forever though.

You can even send them to Barbour for repairs if they get damaged. I had sleeves replaced on one of mine a few years ago, but they'll do patching, re-waxing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yes, in all fairness to Hugo Boss, they never went mad on the logos.

hugo-boss-uniform.jpg

What happens when you spend too much time on the spin bike

awec wrote: »
    Will literally last forever though.

You can even send them to Barbour for repairs if they get damaged. I had sleeves replaced on one of mine a few years ago, but they'll do patching, re-waxing etc.

I love my wax jacket. Classic material. Modern style mind, bomber thing with a hood have a big tin of wax to tide me over for its life span over too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mountain Equipment is the way to go. Seriously good cold weather clothing for the active. Mildly expensive, but then again, buy cheap = buy twice. Well worth it.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk

Still love my North Face gilets.

Superdry coats were never really a thing. Decent cotton hoodies for lounging though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Still doesn't explain why the OP thought the symbols were Chinese.

Kanji are borrowed from Chinese. OP was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'd been pronouncing Barbour with a French accent like Bar-boar for so long. Then I think on Instagram I realised it is pronounced like Barber :(

Doesn't have the same appeal at all now.

I've a lovely umbrella with a wooden handle, & in my head it's my Bar-boar umbrella. Not a Barber umbrella :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'd been pronouncing Barbour with a French accent like Bar-boar for so long. Then I think on Instagram I realised it is pronounced like Barber :(

Doesn't have the same appeal at all now.

I've a lovely umbrella with a wooden handle, & in my head it's my Bar-boar umbrella. Not a Barber umbrella :pac:

If the 2 of you could fit under it, would that be very civilised or just Barbour-us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I was not in fact kept super dry in a SuperDry jacket once in a reasonable shower of rain.
    Should I litigate?

You weren't being observant. You saw half the picture, grasshopper.
    The jacket, being made with a proprietary material, let's all moisture through. Thus its brand walks the walk and you get a bone-dry jacket to hang up when you get home after your hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

How do we all feel about Rab jackets? I bought a Rab electron goose down jacket this time last year and it's like wearing a sleeping bag. It's that warm and I haven't seen a skanger wearing one yet.

So which character on Emmerdale are you? Go on, give us a hint.

That gave me a laugh!

Flat caps can be howiya gear I guess but not always. A shirt and sweater and a smart jacket with a flat cap, no. As part of your wedding suit or with a suit trouser and untucked shirt and pointy shoes yes.

I've quite a few Hugo Boss bits, suit and polo shirts, sweaters. Yes they can be very skangerish alright but stay away from the tracksuits and the huge logo stuff and it's OK.

I like Gant stuff too but it is a funker for shrinking in the wash. I bought 3 t shirts from gant last year, just plain cotton tees and they all shrunk badly. I don't mind spending money on good quality clobber that lasts but that's just annoying.

How do we all feel about Rab jackets? I bought a Rab electron goose down jacket this time last year and it's like wearing a sleeping bag. It's that warm and I haven't seen a skanger wearing one yet.

Sartoriallly bold move.
    Could be the North Face of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Sartoriallly bold move.
    Could be the North Face of 2022.

I'll move back to North Face at that point. I'll be seem as retro..

• Advertisement

Will Lynx Africa ever be en vogue again

Asking for a friend

Advertisement