Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperDry Japan Jackets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dunno. Have one of their jackets and it feels like it's giving me a hug every time a wear it and I stay damn warm.

Had a pair of their straight leg jeans a few years back and my arse looked great in it. Went back to get another pair and all I could find were skinny and - wait for it - "spray on" fit jeans.

Think I'll just stick to the jackets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

SuperDry is still the go-to brand for young lads who are in to their farming/cars.

Skinny jeans replaced boot cut, dealer boots replaced loafers and Bulmers is still Bulmers.

Skinny jeans didn't make it in everywhere yet. When I was younger a SuperDry T shirt was worn every weekend on nights out in Kilkenny :D I went more modern with shirts up until Covid came along. I still have some of the SuperDry t shirts for work, their made of tough fabric and last a long time. Their hoodies are nice to wear also and no big logo on them.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Did Jak Wills ever get off the ground here?

They used to be in Kildare Village.......... not really popular at all. Cheap ole sh1t in KV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I presume they're considered a good brand, but something about the Chinese symbols (which are actually Japanese) make them look cheap to me. It may as well say 'made in China'.

And they're everywhere!

They're originally from the midland in the UK and they just put random bullshít japanese symbols on their clothes to appeal to people. It worked.

Very popular up to about 5 years ago. I remember walking through the Dundrum center and every second bloke had a superdry t-shirt, it was weird.

Tokyo Laundry isn't left behind clothes, flogged off after a year either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Only appearing down the country it seems

I live down the country.. haven’t seen anyone in a superdry jacket in about three years......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Bike labels like galibier and rapha have so far resisted brand-chavapocalypse.

Maybe because cycling is still seen as too liberal. Or perhaps because there's too much effort required in riding a bike, for the average drug-taking enthusiast *

(* EPO fans excepted )

Biker79 wrote: »
    Bike labels like galibier and rapha have so far resisted brand-chavapocalypse. ..........

Grand jackets in those ranges

Nave-galibier-padded-jacket-652x911.jpg
    £70 ........ they seem to like the expensive stuff

BDJ01XX_EMP_Product_H220_01?fmt=jpg&bg=rgb(255,255,255)&fmt.jpeg.interlaced=true&aspect=1:1&sm=aspect&scaleFit=poi&poi={($this.metadata.pointOfInterest.w==0)?0.5:$this.metadata.pointOfInterest.x},{($this.metadata.pointOfInterest.w==0)?0.5:$this.metadata.pointOfInterest.y},{($this.metadata.pointOfInterest.w==0)?0:$this.metadata.pointOfInterest.w},{($this.metadata.pointOfInterest.h==0)?0:$this.metadata.pointOfInterest.h}}&w=1000
    €260 and it's duck down, imo no brand kudos I suppose.

Some rapper in the US probably started the Canada Goose fad with skangers.

Augeo wrote: »
    Grand jackets in those ranges

Some rapper in the US probably started the Canada Goose fad with skangers.
    They are both very good quality. Rapha is more established, but Galibier is of similar high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Biker79 wrote: »
    Bike labels like galibier and rapha have so far resisted brand-chavapocalypse.

Maybe because cycling is still seen as too liberal. Or perhaps because there's too much effort required in riding a bike, for the average drug-taking enthusiast *

(* EPO fans excepted )

Hang around East Wall to see walls of kids in North Face, Canada Goose and Balaceniaga runners on bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

4t1c4i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I see the biannual "judge what other people are wearing for no apparent reason" thread has arrived.

If some of the fashionistas on here could let the rest of us know what is currently acceptable to wear that would be great, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

E mac wrote: »
    No different to a lot of brands that have become unpopular in the eyes of some people. Timberland is hardly seen around anymore. North Face has an association with scumbag types. Canadian Goose is either worn by wealthy **** who can afford them or knockoffs by scumbags.

And students, and former students, just dress like shiet.

I often used to wonder how 30 year old bank staff on 30K a year could ever afford to buy a 350K house.

Then you look at their clothes and see.

Oh. And I'd like to hear from Aongus Von Bismarck.....

L1011 wrote: »
    Hang around East Wall to see walls of kids in North Face, Canada Goose and Balaceniaga runners on bikes.

When the drugs kick in, the bikes get left in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I quite like their stuff- seems to have fallen out of fashion the past few years- the sizes are tight as fcuk though! It's reasonably priced/on sale often.

Popular enough amongst the same set that wore Hollister five years earlier; pretty high end store just off Grafton Street in the old Weights & Measures building. Much bigger in the UK. Dunno who's taken over in that preppy gap in the market, if Trinity comes back to on-campus learning I'll probably see it around!

Dropped off a bit. Kildare village store seems to have disappeared. My local Menswear were stocking it, also seems to have gone. Some stuff with Union flags, Made in England etc is not going to go down well here but quite liked most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

road_high wrote: »
    I quite like their stuff- seems to have fallen out of fashion the past few years- the sizes are tight as fcuk though! It's reasonably priced/on sale often.

It’s to highlight body fat and erections.

It’s to highlight body fat and erections.

It was to stop them putting their hands down their jocks, when walking* on to the Luas.

( *walking = throwing shapes/ strutting)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The tshirt printing failing/cracking was, weirdly, intentional.

At their peak popularity, the quality was top notch. Not so much so now

Any "youth" clothing brand (especially menswear) has 5-10 years lifespan - American Apparel gone from Europe, Jack Wills hit the wall, Hollister/Abercrombie are a shell of what their were and the same hit Superdry. And Crosshatch in the cheaper shops about the same time. The non big two sportswear brands go through phases - Ellesse were everywhere five years ago and not popular now etc.

North Face will have the same slide in a year or two; accelerated here by it being drug dealer chic; if they're unlucky they'll have repelled their old core customer base.

But Nike and Adidas clothing will never go out of fashion

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »

Seem to go through peaks and troughs. Nike very much in vogue at the moment.

GT89 wrote: »

Loads of their clothes are gym gear and casual stuff worn by kids and teenagers. Parents can afford to buy it for them and it's not grossly off trend.

Neither brand is fashionable as such, it's just popular training, lounge wear. Rocking into work on a casual Friday in Adidas or Nike gear isn't too common to be fair.

road_high wrote: »
    Seem to go through peaks and troughs. Nike very much in vogue at the moment.

I'd more so say that about Adidas. Nike is the bigger brand and always appears to be in fashion especially amongst a certain type.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Saw thread title expected this

Left disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nike, Adidas, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's.. A few brands who make good quality clothes and will never go out of fashion.

......... Levi's...............

Surely Levi's aren't in fashion ......... some folk still wear them of course but they aren't at all fashionable.

Adidas are doing quite well with a lot of throw back type styles that hark back to the 80s into 90s, football casual styles. There's only so many times you can try and innovate before you have to recycle designs. It was gas watching The Snapper a few years ago, Sharon is wearing an Adidas t shirt in 1992 or whenever that you could buy in JD Sports or Lifestyle in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely Levi's aren't in fashion ......... some folk still wear them of course but they aren't at all fashionable.
    Who decides whats fashionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

When you arrive back in Ireland you are always struck by how appallingly dressed most Irish men are compared to their continental cousins.

Lots of Superdry or North Face jackets, badly cut jeans with far too much distress detailing on them, a big beer gut hanging out over a load-bearing belt, cheap brown leather shoes from somewhere like Burton, those hideous grandfather style shirts, jumpers with logos splashed on them.

Some of the younger and older generations are more fashionable, but there’s a group of Irish men from their early 30’s to late 40’s who dress like they found what to wear in a skip behind a charity shop.

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Who decides whats fashionable?

The fashion police

Advertisement