Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Stheno wrote: »
    Hse live tweeted earlier that something is wrong with it

:D

I'm so sick off all of them at this stage hse and that gang in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

UK scientists suggesting that 1 million people will have to be vaccinated every week to bring infections under control in the near future... Any indication as to what number we will need to target for here to achieve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Hard to keep the numbers with schools been open

I am not a teacher, but prior to the Christmas break, I was delivering presentations to primary schools and felt safe with the precautions being taken at the school and imposed on me, before and during my visits. Some schools were operating on a fort Knox approach and there was a high level of commitment required from selected visitors to gain access.

I am not so sure about resuming after the break however. The community contract implied in opening the schools in September was that we all worked to keep the general case numbers low.

I really feel that the contract has been torn up now and that has to have an effect on the future school numbers - they were very low while a general effort was being made to keep it that way, but now the public buy in seems to have been lost.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

UK scientists suggesting that 1 million people will have to be vaccinated every week to bring infections under control in the near future... Any indication as to what number we will need to target for here to achieve this?

Probably 100-200 thousand?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Surely there could be room for some lateral thinking. It is usually 3 days after death to funeral. In that space of time could all the bereaved family and close friends etc not get a test done prior to the funeral and attend with clear conscience and do what it human and humane at funerals if they do not have covid?

That sounds like a good idea.

I know why NPHET wouldn't like it. The tests are a bit crap. You could be on day 4 of incubation and it wouldn't show but you could be infectious on day 6 when the funeral is.

However I do think that in situations like funerals where close contact will happen it's better to have a test even if that test is a bit problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

bazermc wrote: »
    Paul Reid on news at one on RTÉ.

They are processing average 23,000 tests a day with 10% positivity rate so should be 2,300 cases a day shortly.

It's not quite what he said, he said the community positivity rate is 10%, they are not doing 23,000 community tests, that 23,000 includes hospital testing.
    As for serial testing, I'm not sure that's classed as community testing.
    Needless to say, an increase in community positivity will see an increase in cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

ElJeffe wrote: »
    The degree of selfishness on view this Xmas is astounding. People just could not care about the greater good, it's all about the self. Generation Me.

Close the schools and people might.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It's not quite what he said, he said the community positivity rate is 10%, they are not doing 23,000 community tests, that 23,000 includes hospital testing.
    As for serial testing, I'm not sure that's classed as community testing.
    Needless to say, an increase in community positivity will see an increase in cases.

He used his words correctly and deliberately so as to give an impression that things are worse than they are. He did not say 2300 cases but many people would have said this was his implication.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Israel plan to vaccinate 50% of its citizens within 30 days and the other in another 30 days think 9m pop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sterz wrote: »
    Who the hell even thinks parades are on the cards?

One of our respected celebrity experts wanted parades this year, because culture, when the virus was getting stuck into Italy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Israel plan to vaccinate 50% of its citizens within 30 days and the other in another 30 days think 9m pop

Interesting that Israel seem to have secured more supplies more quickly (per capita) than US, UK or EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

bazermc wrote: »
    Paul Reid on news at one on RTÉ.

They are processing average 23,000 tests a day with 10% positivity rate so should be 2,300 cases a day shortly.

Hopefully will start to drop now that restrictions back in. Up down all the way to vaccines!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any chance they'll start the vaccines on Monday now?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

ElJeffe wrote: »
    The degree of selfishness on view this Xmas is astounding. People just could not care about the greater good, it's all about the self. Generation Me.

I felt guilty about spending a few hours with my parents on Christmas Day but no one else seems to give two ****s.

Cars in and out of the estate day and night since Christmas Eve, i've heard house parties every night for the past week or so and my social media is full of people on the sesh.

No. Paul Reid said earlier on News at One, that there might be some done on Tuesday, but the official rollout starts on Wednesday.

He said a very cautious approach was being followed with regard to training, database development, transport logistics and max shots per day for the medics administrating. He expected all aspects to be ramped up, once they have gained the experience of administering over the first few days.

Of all the reasons given, I strongly suspect that the database (for shot records and consent approvals) is probably the main holdup. We already have people who know how to give an injection, but the database is being developed from scratch in a very short timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

agoodpunt wrote: »

That will be great. For observation and analysis.

The main problem with vaccines is about 85% of the world's population won't have any choice to take one for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

For Paul Reid's cautious see unprepared

The HSE had plenty of time to put in place plans for vaccine rollout esp after the UK went first

No surprise they couldn't hit the ground running like other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

What about the other vaccines likely to be made available? Are the projections including those?

Should extra vaccines speed everything up? Or maybe that is looking at things a bit too simply?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I felt guilty about spending a few hours with my parents on Christmas Day but no one else seems to give two ****s.

Cars in and out of the estate day and night since Christmas Eve, i've heard house parties every night for the past week or so and my social media is full of people on the sesh.

Not guilty enough to stop you doing it though, neighbour probably saw your car and said the same thing, that selfish person could not care less about the pandemic, he has been parked there for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ger Roe wrote: »
    No. Paul Reid said earlier on News at One, that there might be some done on Tuesday, but the official rollout starts on Wednesday.

He said a very cautious approach was being followed with regard to training, database development, transport logistics and max shots per day for the medics administrating. He expected all aspects to be ramped up, once they have gained the experience of administering over the first few days.

Of all the reasons given, I strongly suspect that the database (for shot records and consent approvals) is probably the main holdup. We already have people who know how to give an injection, but the database is being developed from scratch in a very short timeframe.

Clearly they never even considered that we may have to roll out a vaccine at some point, if this still isn't sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What about the other vaccines likely to be made available? Are the projections including those?

Should extra vaccines speed everything up? Or maybe that is looking at things a bit too simply?!

Moderna approval expected 6th January, Oxford later in January

If it goes as Pfizer we'd get first doses about a week after approval

Extra vaccines should speed everything up ....... providing we have the qualified medics to administer, the logistics expertise to transport and distribute, the database to record the shots and personal details, the overall management capacity to plan and deliver.

They are the factors that are most worrying in our particular case. There will certainly be more vaccines available, but will we be able to scale up and take maximum advantage of the opportunities presented?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

They should, if we we'll be able to vaccinate fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Far too much noise being made about the vaccination dates tbh. It's a small tranch being started a day or two later than *some* other EU countries.

In a months time the difference of 10,000 vaccinations a couple of days will be nothing in the overall. Hundreds of people arent going to die because the HSE is starting on Wednesday. It won't delay the delivery of future batches of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

seamus wrote: »
    Far too much noise being made about the vaccination dates tbh. It's a small tranch being started a day or two later than *some* other EU countries.

In a months time the difference of 10,000 vaccinations a couple of days will be nothing in the overall. Hundreds of people arent going to die because the HSE is starting on Wednesday. It won't delay the delivery of future batches of the vaccine.

It’s mostly the optics of it though.
    A percentage of people, rightly or wrongly assume/know the HSE will make a balls of this, probably for some obscure bureaucratic reason(s). Being seen to be starting a few days behind our peer countries in the EU just gives more fuel to the argument. All they had to do was jab 100 people somewhere, anywhere, today and claim they’ve started. Nobody would question it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

seamus wrote: »

Maybe but it's another example of just how unprepared the HSE are

If they are messing up a small doses how will they be able to handle bigger doses when they come on stream?

If even one nursing home gets infected in the meantime that could have been prevented by the HSE hitting the ground running it's unforgiveable

It's not a good look no matter what way Reid and Varadkar try to spin it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Close the schools and people might.

That makes no logical sense. Try a new tune.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That makes no logical sense. Try a new tune.

Think the records stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Very good chance we will get a token Aul wan vaccinated tomorrow for optics and press purposes.

The HSE Twitter bot is probably registering a bit of static today over the rollout delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

KrustyUCC wrote: »

The HSE had plenty of time to put in place plans for vaccine rollout esp after the UK went first

What a bizarre statement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement