Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

sterz wrote: »
    Who the hell even thinks parades are on the cards?

I don't but will be all this will there won't there crap. Just come out and say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

So sorry to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

So sorry to hear that.

Deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stop the futile arguing. Stop the obsession with numbers and restrictions. No amount of restrictions would have stopped this from happening. Take a moment and enjoy what you have. Don’t pause life and spend your life in fear. Because it won’t last forever.
    #thathappened. I'd be more likely to believe you if your previous posts weren't also all about ending restrictions and people not "living in fear".
    And now, only 9 people will be let at the funeral. How fùcking inhumane of a society have we become that this is let happen? Family have to choose who’s more important to say their goodbyes and grieve. A national disgrace.
    Funerals have been the source of some very serious outbreaks, and attract an elderly and vulnerable group. We had to bury a close relative during this, and most of the family (with the exception of the usual candidates) completely understood why the restrictions were there - and were glad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Paul Reid on RTE Radio 1 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

. Cherish your loved ones, see them, be with them, don’t lose precious moments because of what RTE or hermits or whoever else says it. Its not worth the anguish or not being allowed to say goodbye.

Sorry for your loss. It's awful. I just can't imagine the pain for people who have lost someone close since this started. I lost someone close just before this started, but at least i had the comfort of being able to visit to them and say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Vaccine arriving in Germany .

_116269428_b40124b2-dd0a-4d8a-af7f-31364e9b8682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Worst thing they could ever have done was give people the impression that the vaccine would be widely available early next year and it'd be all done and dusted by summer.

People just gave up on the simple stuff like handwashing and distancing the minute they heard that.

Agree, message is gone to ****. Plenty of simpletons think it's all over now that a vaccine has arrived and life is back to normal.

Doesn't help the rollout team are not pulling their weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Hopefully the virus doesn’t mutate to evade the immunity. There are still a lot of risks and reasons to keep this damn virus suppressed as the vaccines roll out. If we let our guard down, or go too slowly with vaccines, we are giving it more time, more hosts and opportunities to adapt.

wadacrack wrote: »
    New UK variant of the Virus estimated to be an Ro of 4.3

https://twitter.com/tomaspueyo/status/1342987065605152769

Reading the whole thread it is clear he has taken the worst case scenario and portrayed it as proven fact which is misleading at best. Also his understanding of vaccine efficacy is wrong.
    Hes not some randomer. This article predicted what would happen since March and has over 16 million views. Was shared everywhere at the time by highly respected scientists

https://tomaspueyo.medium.com/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

He has a Masters in Engineering. I'm sure he put a lot of time and research into that article but it doesn't change the fact he is not an expert in virology or viral dynamics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

petes wrote: »
    Strong statement to say all experts and it's also complete bull****. My guess is you are only referring to one or two who say things to fit in to your own narrative.

Ryan and Staines would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

Stheno wrote: »
    Pubs aftrr Paddy's day at the earliest id say

There will be no parades imo

Whens the last time we'd a bank holiday with no restrictions in place?

I don't think we've had a single one this year

New year's Day was the last pre-covid bank holiday, if we can remember back that far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ryan and Staines would be my guess.

Your favourite two scientists 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

In the area I live in I've seen no evidence of people restricting visitors or distancing, plenty of people in and out of houses, Christmas idiots... There is absolutely no way anyone can see the numbers rising and be surprised. I'm against these restrictions as much as anyone but I do my best to contain myself and avoid general contact....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

In the area I live in I've seen no evidence of people restricting visitors or distancing, plenty of people in and out of houses, Christmas idiots... There is absolutely no way anyone can see the numbers rising and be surprised. I'm against these restrictions as much as anyone but I do my best to contain myself and avoid general contact....

Hard to keep the numbers with schools been open

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hmmm wrote: »
    Funerals have been the source of some very serious outbreaks, and attract an elderly and vulnerable group. We had to bury a close relative during this, and most of the family (with the exception of the usual candidates) completely understood why the restrictions were there - and were glad for them.
    Funerals are a really hard one to play correctly.

It's the one event where people feel like they have just one shot at it. A wedding is different, one can see the couple any time, celebrate any time.

But a person only gets buried/cremated once. A memorial service months after the fact isn't the same, people have moved on, the grief is more tempered.

We likewise had a funeral recently. In the immediate aftermath, there's no consideration for social distancing. People need a hug, they need their family around them. Within minutes of the death, five family units had effectively become one social bubble, and a few hours later two more families were in there too, making 23 people. All close relatives of the deceased. If one were to be infected, they would all be close contacts, but that seems like a very unimportant concern when someone has just died.

It is unreasonable to expect a family in the throes of fresh grief to wear masks and stand 2m apart.

Perhaps the guidance for funerals should be updated; any number of the deceased's grandparents, parents, spouses, children, siblings and grandchildren may attend, but everyone must restrict movements immediately following the funeral ceremony and for the 14 days afterwards. For the death of a child you could also permit aunts and uncles.

This would at least give a level of humanity for the family and some clear boundaries. And it may avoid the chaos that occurred in Wexford.

jackboy wrote: »
    Your favourite two scientists 😀

Not once have you named the experts whom you agree with, I’m basing my guess based on the negativity I read in most of your posts and funny enough the two lads I mentioned seem to mirror your sentiments. Personal opinion of Ryan is he’s a fool who gets a ridiculous amount of publicity to air his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sterz wrote: »
    Who the hell even thinks parades are on the cards?

You want to be a moron of biblical proportions to even consider for two seconds, having parades...a proper thick €%*@.

Aside from the tens of thousands in attendance ( that will end well ), months of people together practicing dance routines, making costumes, rehearsing music, all the Gardai required, the risk they and their families would endure... the people needed in the various councils to clean up afterwards etc...mad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Hard to keep the numbers with schools been open

Is it a matter of if you say it often enough it'll happen?

Didn't you say last night you were at a party with 50 people? How can precautions in schools be worse than that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Crazy numbers, If the r rate does not lower soon. Were in for a third wave worse than many predicted.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1343159824910077953

Not good at all. The usual suspects will poo poo anything Reid say's though and claim all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not once have you named the experts whom you agree with, I’m basing my guess based on the negativity I read in most of your posts and funny enough the two lads I mentioned seem to mirror your sentiments. Personal opinion of Ryan is he’s a fool who gets a ridiculous amount of publicity to air his nonsense.

Not negativity, realism. There is a long way to go yet before the need for restrictions are diminished. Forget about spring and early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

seamus wrote: »
    Funerals are a really hard one to play correctly.

It's the one event where people feel like they have just one shot at it. A wedding is different, one can see the couple any time, celebrate any time.

But a person only gets buried/cremated once. A memorial service months after the fact isn't the same, people have moved on, the grief is more tempered.

We likewise had a funeral recently. In the immediate aftermath, there's no consideration for social distancing. People need a hug, they need their family around them. Within minutes of the death, five family units had effectively become one social bubble, and a few hours later two more families were in there too, making 23 people. All close relatives of the deceased. If one were to be infected, they would all be close contacts, but that seems like a very unimportant concern when someone has just died.

It is unreasonable to expect a family in the throes of fresh grief to wear masks and stand 2m apart.

Perhaps the guidance for funerals should be updated; any number of the deceased's grandparents, parents, spouses, children, siblings and grandchildren may attend, but everyone must restrict movements immediately following the funeral ceremony and for the 14 days afterwards. For the death of a child you could also permit aunts and uncles.

This would at least give a level of humanity for the family and some clear boundaries. And it may avoid the chaos that occurred in Wexford.

We do what you have suggested we are fûcked...

Everyday in Ireland there are about 80 funerals.

Basically you’d be authorizing super spreader events.

The ten attendees as is, is fine.

People might not like it, be sad, disappointed... suck it up.. be part of the solution not the problem...

My dads best friend just died, that’s what everyone did...had to sûck it up, take one for the team... we have been advised that when covid is over there will be a mass everybody can go to, followed by a dinner and drinks to celebrate his life...

Great idea, safe idea, appropriate idea.

jackboy wrote: »
    Not negativity, realism. There is a long way to go yet before the need for restrictions are diminished. Forget about spring and early summer.

Ryan stated hundreds of children would die when the schools reopened that’s not realism it was unfounded bs. Life will take time to get back to something closer normal but nowhere near the length of time you suggest. You have been asked multiple times before but I’ll ask again would you care to name the experts you believe are correct in their predictions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

The degree of selfishness on view this Xmas is astounding. People just could not care about the greater good, it's all about the self. Generation Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

App appears to be displaying the same number for people who checked in so far today for a number of days now.

Mine is stuck @ 153,085

Same for everyone? or does anybody even bother with it anymore?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

App appears to be displaying the same number for people who checked in so far today for a number of days now.

Mine is stuck @ 183,085

Same for everyone? or does anybody even bother with it anymore?

The app hadn't updated since Christmas Eve. Another part of the system on holidays. Thankfully the virus is also on holidays at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The app hadn't updated since Christmas Eve. Another part of the system on holidays. Thankfully the virus is also on holidays at the moment.

Hse live tweeted earlier that something is wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Strumms wrote: »

People might not like it, be sad, disappointed... suck it up.. be part of the solution not the problem...

My dads best friend just died, that’s what everyone did...had to sûck it up, take one for the team... we have been advised that when covid is over there will be a mass everybody can go to, followed by a dinner and drinks to celebrate his life...

Surely there could be room for some lateral thinking. It is usually 3 days after death to funeral. In that space of time could all the bereaved family and close friends etc not get a test done prior to the funeral and attend with clear conscience and do what it human and humane at funerals if they do not have covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Paul Reid on news at one on RTÉ.

They are processing average 23,000 tests a day with 10% positivity rate so should be 2,300 cases a day shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Strumms wrote: »

you forgot Daft Idea. If this person was your dad's best friend then he should have attended his funeral in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement