Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Big jump in hospitalisations in the last 24 hours, reminiscent of what we regularly saw back in March.
    Hopefully just a result of a single large outbreak or something, rather than what we can expect to see on a daily basis.

537277.png

Good thing we're on the ball with the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I was chilling out this morning and flicked across CNN, who just had a piece on about the vaccination process starting off in Europe with live pieces to reporters in Italy, France and Spain I think.

So they are already starting off, while Ireland received two boxes into their fridge, with care homes a matter of minutes away from the storage location and they can’t get going. Every step of the way, people jumped through loopholes to get it out to countries ASAP with the meeting moved forward, EU approval. I’m sure a special transport was arranged on the morning after Christmas Day to get the vaccine here.

Then our lads go, ah yeah that arrived a bit quick, well lads we’re actually on holidays til Tuesday and despite it being a pandemic, we haven’t done the training, so yeah will get that done on Tuesday and hope to get going on Wednesday!

I always doubted their ability to get the program of vaccination underway and we have started with an own goal. I really hope we can get back in front again, but I sincerely doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can doctor Tony be brought onto the front line and told to start jabbing? Think we can all agree we have seen enough of his mug at press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

They’ll get through those two boxes of vaccines in jig time and then will be waiting for next shipment to arrive. Main thing is to get it right. Rushing isn’t necessary at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I was chilling out this morning and flicked across CNN, who just had a piece on about the vaccination process starting off in Europe with live pieces to reporters in Italy, France and Spain I think.

So they are already starting off, while Ireland received two boxes into their fridge, with care homes a matter of minutes away from the storage location and they can’t get going. Every step of the way, people jumped through loopholes to get it out to countries ASAP with the meeting moved forward, EU approval. I’m sure a special transport was arranged on the morning after Christmas Day to get the vaccine here.

Then our lads go, ah yeah that arrived a bit quick, well lads we’re actually on holidays til Tuesday and despite it being a pandemic, we haven’t done the training, so yeah will get that done on Tuesday and hope to get going on Wednesday!

I always doubted their ability to get the program of vaccination underway and we have started with an own goal. I really hope we can get back in front again, but I sincerely doubt it.

The Covid app hasn't been updated since Christmas Eve. I know it's only a minor thing in the whole circumstance, but if you want it to be treated seriously and the info is there anyway (because data is still being reported elsewhere daily), then how difficult could it be to arrange for someone to input the numbers once a day to negate the public impression that they are all off on their holidays, while the virus rages?

It's all about public perception and the HSE has never bought into that theory, even when it seems easy to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

On a per capita basis, we're currently the 15th worst country on the planet for new cases.

It follows that in a matter of weeks, we'll be in a similar situation with deaths per million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

bb1234567 wrote: »
    More than 1 in every 30 people in Dublin has been confirmed as infected as of today. Sounds huge really,I'm surprised I don't know that many people who have had it still. I'm guessing a lot of people must kind of keep it to themselves. Tbf don't know if I'd go around telling everyone myself if I got it either.

Whaaaa? Something wrong there!
    Or do you mean since the beginning? Is it that high?

Only 86k cases ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Whaaaa? Something wrong there!

Maybe it means in total since pandemic started. Which would be about 3%. Which would be about the expected percentage of infection from reported cases given a certain unknown amount have gone and do go unreported. People might forget that the vast majority of people have never had covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Maybe it means in total since pandemic started. Which would be about 3%. Which would be about the expected percentage of infection from reported cases given a certain unknown amount have gone and do go unreported. People might forget that the vast majority of people have never had covid.

Yeah, must be. 86k is about 1 in 60 so possibly higher ratio in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Crazy numbers, If the r rate does not lower soon. Were in for a third wave worse than many predicted.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1343159824910077953

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ouch that's not good

I think demand will fall somehwat after Christmas when people start returning to other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Christmas is over.

Technically there's another 9 days not counting today :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Worst thing they could ever have done was give people the impression that the vaccine would be widely available early next year and it'd be all done and dusted by summer.

People just gave up on the simple stuff like handwashing and distancing the minute they heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

wadacrack wrote: »
    Crazy numbers, If the r rate does not lower soon. Were in for a third wave worse than many predicted.

If only we had a vaccine to give to people ........ now.
    But we'll wait for the HSE to get back from holidays, and then do a bit of training. And then maybe the vaccination process may start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Worst thing they could ever have done was give people the impression that the vaccine would be widely available early next year and it'd be all done and dusted by summer.

People just gave up on the simple stuff like handwashing and distancing the minute they heard that.

The experts have said all along that it would be about 6 to 9 months before the vaccines have any impact on restrictions. So many people here have been claiming with certainty that most of the restrictions will be gone by March/April.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If community positivity is at 10% and there were 23000 tests yesterday then there would be 2300 cases today

And like so many others Reid not replying to questions about vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

jackboy wrote: »
    The experts have said all along that it would be about 6 to 9 months before the vaccines have any impact on restrictions. So many people here have been claiming with certainty that most of the restrictions will be gone by March/April.

All the experts have said this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Kivaro wrote: »
    But we'll wait for the HSE to get back from holidays, and then do a bit of training. And then maybe the vaccination process may start.

We only have a handful of doses. It's going to make **** all difference for a good long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

I work for the HSE and they dragged me in (on my own) for manual handling training that I needed to update on Thursday morning at 8am. We all get that training every two years and mine had gone over, so it needed to be updated before I could work again.

Why they can organise that training especially on Christmas eve, but they couldn't organise the vaccine administration training today actually blows my brain to smithereens.

Me suing them because I lifted a box wrong and hurt my back is clearly more of a priority than the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Leeds Penalty

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »

The image of Donnelly and Co with all their phones out while a forklift slowly unloads 2 box of the vaccine was extremely infuriating. Should have been photo of the army rushing to distribute it as quickly and efficiently as possible. Reid I think tweeted that yesteday and now today he is deeply worried. Its very conflicting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

30,000 people or more who landed in from UK are being made get a test regardless

last day we had data positivity rate was around 5.2%

testing numbers had risen from average of around 10-12k to over 20k

This a result of Christmas demand and necessity for arrivals from UK etc to have a test.

If we test 100k people tomorrow at 5% we will obviously find more cases,

We are looking at 550 or so in hospital in week

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

30,000 people or more who landed in from UK are being made get a test regardless

last day we had data positivity rate was around 5.2%

testing numbers had risen from average of around 10-12k to over 20k

This a result of Christmas demand and necessity for arrivals from UK etc to have a test.

If we test 100k people tomorrow at 5% we will obviously find more cases,

so if loads of these people arrived from the UK and get a positive test, they inflate our figures??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Stheno wrote: »
    If community positivity is at 10% and there were 23000 tests yesterday then there would be 2300 cases today

And like so many others Reid not replying to questions about vaccines

Is "community positivity" definitely the positivity rate of all swabs taken?

We are looking at 550 or so in hospital in week

You may well be right but where did that figure come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

[HTML][/HTML]
    The image of Donnelly and Co with all their phones out while a forklift slowly unloads 2 box of the vaccine was extremely infuriating. Should have been photo of the army rushing to distribute it as quickly and efficiently as possible. Reid I think tweeted that yesteday and now today he is deeply worried. Its very conflicting

What is the most efficient way? Should we have had a full army convoy to deliver Longford 4 doses of the vaccine?

Or is in fact setting up appointments for the first batch of people to receive the vaccine when the vaccine has both a) arrived and B) stored actually the most efficient way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I work for the HSE and they dragged me in (on my own) for manual handling training that I needed to update on Thursday morning at 8am. We all get that training every two years and mine had gone over, so it needed to be updated before I could work again.

Why they can organise that training especially on Christmas eve, but they couldn't organise the vaccine administration training today actually blows my brain to smithereens.

Me suing them because I lifted a box wrong and hurt my back is clearly more of a priority than the pandemic.

I would say the reason for the difference is that there is already a health and safety department looking after the manual handling. They are on top of that.

The new pandemic logistics response department is still floundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

zinfandel wrote: »
    so if loads of these people arrived from the UK and get a positive test, they inflate our figures??

I am saying we are not comparing like with like at the moment...

3 weeks ago we were doing around 10,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 3%.

Now we are doing over 20,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 5-5.5%

Things have obviously deteriorated and we need tightening of restrictions but the situation has not worsened to the level the daily case numbers would suggest

• Advertisement

zinfandel wrote: »

Yes they do

I know a neighbour who's nephew came back to Kerry for Christmas

Test one negative, test two positive

Resulted in 4 more positives in the family

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement