Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

octsol wrote: »
    Cases should be fairly low today so a small bit of light

Well not really, demand would have fallen off a cliff over the last few days you'd imagine purely based on it being christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just over 10% for the 26th and 27th.

The numbers for those 2 days are less than 44% of the total swabs over the three days. I don't think that should be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Leo saying no one could have foreseen the rate of rise in cases in recent days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No way, where did he say that? It’s going to go up too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Just goes to show how disconnected he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm expecting we'll hear soon enough that our test and trace system is in bits again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pc7 wrote: »
    No way, where did he say that? It’s going to go up too!

On the radio earlier think
    Mr Varadkar told Newstalk’s On The Record programme that the State’s recent six week lockdown “didn’t work to the extent we hoped it would” and health authorities did not expect “the numbers would rise so quickly” after restrictions were relaxed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-covid-19-case-numbers-rising-at-an-alarming-rate-1.4445985?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd like to see how many of these latest cases can be traced back to people returning back from the UK for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I'm expecting we'll hear soon enough that our test and trace system is in bits again.

Followed shortly by our vaccine roll out being in bits

prunudo wrote: »
    I'd like to see how many of these latest cases can be traced back to people returning back from the UK for Christmas.

They are unable to do this according to anything I've read

Think NPHET confirmed that in a press conference

There was one stat the 20 flights from the UK had at least one passenger who later tested positive

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    Followed shortly by our vaccine roll out being in bits

I hate it, but have the same feeling. Can't wait for other vaccines to come, the ones gp's and pharmacies can administer. Sooner that happens the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Stheno wrote: »

In that interview he also laid the blame with nphet for allowing us to come out of level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is this because fewer people went for tests in the last couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Cases are going down. Hospitality restrictions having an effect already :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

4 deaths.

744 new confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

A pretty substantial backlog building and with the amount being tested.. next week’s numbers will be huge.
    Was expecting double that number today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

seamus wrote: »
    Far too much noise being made about the vaccination dates tbh. It's a small tranch being started a day or two later than *some* other EU countries.

In a months time the difference of 10,000 vaccinations a couple of days will be nothing in the overall. Hundreds of people arent going to die because the HSE is starting on Wednesday. It won't delay the delivery of future batches of the vaccine.

It just looks bad though. If the government and the HSE are not showing a level of urgency to administer a vaccine that should protect us against the biggest public health emergency in our lives so far then I really don't know what to say.

It doesn't inspire confidence and there is a risk that if Ireland cannot administer the vaccine fast enough then our EU allocation could be reduced and supplies sent elsewhere.

The company I work for has created a vaccination taskforce so I'll probably be vaccinated privately anyway.

Is this because fewer people went for tests in the last couple of days?

Less tests etc. I would expect numbers will be all over the place till first week in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭prunudo

They are unable to do this according to anything I've read

Think NPHET confirmed that in a press conference

There was one stat the 20 flights from the UK had at least one passenger who later tested positive

Unable or unwilling. Much easier just to blame hospitality and then close everything down. Madness that we all had to have travel restrictions for 6 weeks so we could enjoy Christmas only for travel from the UK to be allowed test free and unhindered up till last week.
    But alas, what's done is done. We'll just have to get on with it.

harr wrote: »
    A pretty substantial backlog building and with the amount being tested.. next week’s numbers will be huge.
    Was expecting double that number today

How much of a backlog do you think there is? There was nearly 400 more cases than swabs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Is this true. Saw this online

Latest HSE protocol to only test close contacts once is a recipe for disaster. As so many are only testing positive on the second test. Another major blunder that will have COVID positive people out and about and back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It just looks bad though. If the government and the HSE are not showing a level of urgency to administer a vaccine that should protect us against the biggest public health emergency in our lives so far then I really don't know what to say.

It doesn't inspire confidence and there is a risk that if Ireland cannot administer the vaccine fast enough then our EU allocation could be reduced and supplies sent elsewhere.

The company I work for has created a vaccination taskforce so I'll probably be vaccinated privately anyway.

You almost certainly won't

octsol wrote: »
    Is this true. Saw this online

Latest HSE protocol to only test close contacts once is a recipe for disaster. As so many are only testing positive on the second test. Another major blunder that will have COVID positive people out and about and back to work

Yes they stopped the second test due to demand last week iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Christmas day numbers were probably swabs taken Christmas Eve and tested in the lab Christmas Day

Yesterday's would be swabs taken Christmas Day
    The swab numbers are up to midnight the previous day. So today's numbers are tests reported yesterday. Probably swabs taken across Xmas Day and early St. Stephens.

The numbers reported on 25th & 26th would have been swabs taken on 23rd, 24th and early on 25th.

We can expect low swab numbers up till about Thursday. There will probably be a huge surge of referrals at GPs on Tuesday, leading to large swab & positivity numbers on Thursday and Friday

seamus wrote: »
    The swab numbers are up to midnight the previous day. So today's numbers are tests reported yesterday. Probably swabs taken across Xmas Day and early St. Stephens.

The numbers reported on 25th & 26th would have been swabs taken on 23rd, 24th and early on 25th.

Given people are reporting less than 24 hours from having a test to a result do you think they would go back as far as the 23rd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

AdamD wrote: »
    You almost certainly won't

I know it sounds mad but I wouldn't be surprised given who I work for, their huge resources and how involved they are in this pandemic. They're not perfect but they can get things done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I know it sounds mad but I wouldn't be surprised given who I work for, their huge resources and how involved they are in this pandemic. They're not perfect but they can get things done.

Sounds like a Bond villain company:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement