Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Stheno wrote: »
    Think the records stuck!

On a monotonous tune too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Maybe but it's another example of just how unprepared the HSE are

If they are messing up a small doses how will they be able to handle bigger doses when they come on stream?

If even one nursing home gets infected in the meantime that could have been prevented by the HSE hitting the ground running it's unforgiveable

It's not a good look no matter what way Reid and Varadkar try to spin it
    I'm having visions of Veradkar on the phone to Reid tell in him to get a move on after Veradkars interview this morning tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Wombatman wrote: »
    Very good chance we will get a token Aul wan vaccinated tomorrow for optics and press purposes.

Any need to refer to an older person as an Aul wan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Of course not but let's take an example day of November 25 when 362 swabs were positive, if you tested twice the number of people at the same positive rate you would have 724 positive swabs...

yes, but if you test people who are not contacts of people with Covid then you would not have the same positive rate. If you test randomers you would get some positives but nowhere near as many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Moderna approval expected 6th January, Oxford later in January

If it goes as Pfizer we'd get first doses about a week after approval

Yeah but are they included in projections currently? I think the general feeling is they will be approved...I would imagine would extra vaccines would speed everything up but I don’t see any mention of this...Maybe I am missing something....

Also how/who decides which vaccine people should get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah but are they included in projections currently? I think the general feeling is they will be approved...I would imagine would extra vaccines would speed everything up but I don’t see any mention of this...Maybe I am missing something....

Not included in current projections as we don't know what numbers we will get and when

The vaccination strategy group will decide who gets what vaccine

Id imagine gp practices and pharmacies/vaccine hubs will get Oxford due to both the fact it does not need special storage and we are due to get a couple of million doses of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They aren't in the current projections. Mentioned by Varadkar earlier the current timelines are only based on Pfizer, timelines get brought forward when more come on stream

• Registered Users Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whatever about the vaccinations not starting till Tuesday if its a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job heads should roll. If the HSEs incompetence over the years didn't mean so many healthcare workers had to move abroad to find work maybe we would be in a position to mass vacinate but of course that won't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Not included in current projections as we don't know what numbers we will get and when

The vaccination strategy group will decide who gets what vaccine

Id imagine gp practices and pharmacies/vaccine hubs will get Oxford due to both the fact it does not need special storage and we are due to get a couple of million doses of it

Cool....Fair enough....Sounds positive to me though - hard to predict future but sounds reasonable enough to think things may go a bit quicker than anticipated:) Hopefully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Any need to refer to an older person as an Aul wan?

Aul is a very Irish variation of old. What's you problem?

Older person? Should that not be senior citizen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Interesting that Israel seem to have secured more supplies more quickly (per capita) than US, UK or EU

Careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Cool....Fair enough....Sounds positive to me though - hard to predict future but sounds reasonable enough to think things may go a bit quicker than anticipated:) Hopefully:)

Things will be fine. The coming weeks positivity will raise as death numbers drop.

We are nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

klose wrote: »
    Whatever about the vaccinations not starting till Tuesday if its a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job heads should roll. If the HSEs incompetence over the years didn't mean so many healthcare workers had to move abroad to find work maybe we would be in a position to mass vacinate but of course that won't be the case.

That's just for nursing homes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

klose wrote: »

What about all those that came home at the start of all this? Did they emigrate again? Apparently it took time to train these people to give ICU care. But surely it doesn't take time to give injections?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

7 day post rate up to 6.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

rooney30 wrote: »
    Careful now!

I was not trying to make a point with that comment, just curious. I suppose with their small population and good financial resources, they were just able to secure a decent supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Surely there could be room for some lateral thinking. It is usually 3 days after death to funeral. In that space of time could all the bereaved family and close friends etc not get a test done prior to the funeral and attend with clear conscience and do what it human and humane at funerals if they do not have covid?

What method do you use to confirm and verify all say 80 attendees have been tested and are verifiably free of covid... ? Who is responsible for ensuring this ?

The virus just wants to infect you and attack you, it doesn’t give a flying monkeys why you are in the church, spiritual reason, how sad you are, how many prayers you’ll say... the body of Christ etc... fûck that..., we need to be prioritizing the health and wellbeing of those of us living....

If that means a few noses out of joint, a few tears... whatever, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Any case numbers today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

octsol wrote: »
    Any case numbers today?

Probably won't be coming for B other 20 or 40 minutes.

No wonder Paul Reid said 10% positivity, the swab numbers have been updated.

Last 24hrs 3364 tests, 338 postive swabs = 10%

25th - 21097 tests , 1629 positives

26th - 11930 tests, 1204 positives

• Advertisement

Thats positive is it? About 300 cases
    But that would be christmas day numbers correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Strumms wrote: »
    What method do you use to confirm and verify all say 80 attendees have been tested and are verifiably free of covid... ? Who is responsible for ensuring this ?

The virus just wants to infect you and attack you, it doesn’t give a flying monkeys why you are in the church, spiritual reason, how sad you are, how many prayers you’ll say... the body of Christ etc... fûck that..., we need to be prioritizing the health and wellbeing of those of us living....

If that means a few noses out of joint, a few tears... whatever, so be it.

Uh...ok

So only 3364 tests yesterday?

The totals give positivity over the three days of 8.58% rather than the 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

hmmm wrote: »
    #thathappened. I'd be more likely to believe you if your previous posts weren't also all about ending restrictions and people not "living in fear".

Funerals have been the source of some very serious outbreaks, and attract an elderly and vulnerable group. We had to bury a close relative during this, and most of the family (with the exception of the usual candidates) completely understood why the restrictions were there - and were glad for them.

Edit: not worth defending myself to imbeciles.

octsol wrote: »
    Thats positive is it? About 300 cases
    But that would be christmas day numbers correct?

The Christmas day numbers were probably swabs taken Christmas Eve and tested in the lab Christmas Day

Yesterday's would be swabs taken Christmas Day

So only 3364 tests yesterday?

The totals give positivity over the three days of 8.58% rather than the 10%

Yup that number processed anyway, data source updated here a little earlier
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/f6d6332820ca466999dbd852f6ad4d5a_0/data?page=29

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Just under 9% cumulatively across the 3 days...

The Christmas day numbers were probably swabs taken Christmas Eve and tested in the lab Christmas Day

Yesterday's would be swabs taken Christmas Day

Cases should be fairly low today so a small bit of light

Yup that number processed anyway, data source updated here a little earlier
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/f6d6332820ca466999dbd852f6ad4d5a_0/data?page=29

I wonder how many of the 20k+ tests this past week were people getting tested prior to travelling to visit family

Be interesting to see if we drop back to 15k or less a day over the next couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just under 9% cumulatively across the 3 days...

Just over 10% for the 26th and 27th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement